Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ΔX
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking up random topics about relationships on a message board, (it was not one of those insipid "pickup artists" sites) I started thinking about the phrase "sweeping a girl off her feet," and the like. This phrase seems to imply an utterly fantastical ideal about how relationships should start and develop. And apparently it is common to see. It seems so superficial and unfair to the man. He is just a man. He will not complete you. Maybe I'm wrong and I have the definition backwards. So anyway let's laugh at a horrible pick up video I found while trying to google the answer to that.

http://www.wikihow.com/Sweep-a-Girl-off-Her-Feet

A quick google of "How to sweep a girl off her feet" (someone explain that phrase to me please) leads to that page along with a video of a what I'll call a pickup artist talking to two female strangers in public. I thought he looked so shifty! One of the girls very quickly folds her arms, and you know what that means. Occasionally he would 'flirt' with the girls by... insulting them? At the end of the video he offers commentary on how this way of flirting is actually effective and is not arrogant at all. But, I'm sorry but I thought it just was arrogant. During the video he even tried to establish himself as a great thinker. It was awful to watch. I'm sure there are better ways to meet and talk to the opposite sex.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah that stuff is normally crap. I guess the insults are to make the girl think he might not be interseted and they let their guard down. They also have to impress him as well as get to know him to make up for whatever flaws he pointed out. The whole thing is kind of mean and just a lie. He's approaching them because he thinks they're attractive and doesn't have a problem with they're looks. He probably isn't super interested in they're personality either. Wouldn't trying to just have a casual conversation making it clear you just want to get to know them have the same effect without being an *******.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
yes he comes off as so cocky.

those kind of pick-up methods always seem a bit fake in how scripted they are. and maybe they are most effective but as the female perspective they just seem kind of silly and too unnatural, especially with having a story or joke prepared.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
:lol The girl on the left handed him his *** with that rejection comment. I didn't watch much longer after that point.

Those opening lines sound so scripted and lame, and he comes off as pretty arrogant.

Personally, I think he'd have been better off with something along the lines of "Hey, I just saw you two sitting here and wanted to meet you. Mind if I sit with you guys for a bit? What's your name?..." etc... a more honest approach. But then, I've never tried that, so I don't know how that would go over.

·
ΔX
3,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I think he'd have been better off with something along the lines of "Hey, I just saw you two sitting here and wanted to meet you. Mind if I sit with you guys for a bit? What's your name?..." etc... a more honest approach. But then, I've never tried that, so I don't know how that would go over.
I'd like to try something like that someday.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've been thinking about this after I went out tonight, talking to some female coworkers, and I saw the other guys talking to girls and vice versa.

The problem with pickup artistry is that any schmuck who works up the courage to talk to girls on a regular basis can try to make a name for himself as a "teacher" who can help you "succeed with women." The fact that this video shows 1 minute of himself in the field, in one situation, and 5 minutes of talking at the camera, says it all. Also, a lot of this stuff is extremely impressive to men, even when it gets mixed results with women. But mixed results is still a lot better than not doing anything. I do think there are some teachers out there who know what they're talking about, and I try to apply common sense to what they teach.

Think of a guy who has absolutely nothing going on with women. Let's say he gets into some pickup stuff, goes out every day for a month, talks to 50 women, and gets 5 phone numbers. Is he going to dwell on the 90% failure rate? Of course not, he's going to be thrilled because he just saw a HUGE increase in his dating possibilities. The credit doesn't go to the fact that he used the right pickup lines or had the right "inner game," he just got the motivation to break old habits and push through rejection.

Think of people you've met who are really great conversationalists. Did they use corny stories to give themselves social proof? Or did they try to qualify themselves with some mainstream line, like "gee, I just wanted to meet you and get to know you better?" I doubt it, they just talked to you like a normal person. The problem is, for most of us, we think trying to talk to a stranger like a normal person means a massive risk of rejection. And maybe it is, at first. We can't even really wrap our head around the idea without going out there and getting a lot of experience.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I can't bash that guy because he obviously succeeded in that video.

But as someone with SA, I'm light years away from being able to do what he just did there.

IMO, the thing with all this PU artist stuff is it's meant for the guys that are already outgoing and sociable. But for whatever reason, they just suck with women.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I checked out this guy's videos awhile ago, and most of his advice is worthless (in my opinion) except for one thing. In my opinion, what it all comes down to is to talk with women and to be comfortable doing so and to realize that it's okay if the girl doesn't like you and move on. And this was the only really useful video to me.

I don't want to be a jerk that "picks up" women and sleeps around, but I do want love. The problem is that unless I do something drastic like this to get used to rejection so that I don't fear it, I won't be able to get love. Every time I think about this, though, I just feel terrible about myself, relations between women and men, and everything.

·
Registered
690 Posts
:lol The girl on the left handed him his *** with that rejection comment. I didn't watch much longer after that point.

Those opening lines sound so scripted and lame, and he comes off as pretty arrogant.

From my one succes story so far that's exactly what i did. I just tried to talk to her as a person and find out more about her. And you know what it worked.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
From my one succes story so far that's exactly what i did. I just tried to talk to her as a person and find out more about her. And you know what it worked.
Really ? how did you not end up as "jsut friends" I always get stuck with that label.

Yet when i behave arrogant they tell me straight "that style doesn't suit you"

However if i admit that I like the girl she either:
a) starts avoiding me, like i'm some sort of stalker

b) starts acting like a golddigger

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't think he was arrogant...well not with the women I mean...his commentary, yes. He did seem awfully proud of his game didn't he?

But I mostly thought he was BORING. I mean really boring. I have seen way better videos. He actually seemed awkward and fidgety to me. Not too bad I guess. But he takes off his hat then he eventually puts it back on at some point. Plus he stutters a little. And his monotone voice? WTH? He soldiered on well though. (Not that I could do any better). ..supposedly in countries outside the U.S., foreign countries people don't normally start conversation with strangers like that, so ironically it's a little easier to do what he was doing (because you can suck and still come off as confident). And how come there was no ending? Did he give them his #? Would've loved to see their reactions. :b The last thing he did was the awkward model comment...which she seemed INORDINATELY amused by. So where's the beef? Where's the phone# interaction? Big LOSER! :b

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I think women who fall for pickup artists are even stupider than the pickup artists themselves. I would never try that crap, it's just foolish.

Whatever happened to actually liking someone for who they are, instead of a bunch of tricks?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts