Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on CBT extensively for about three months now and I think I have a pretty good handle on how to rationalize my perceptions. I don't care about other people and what they think of me or at least take it as seriously. Previously, I used to get a good deal of stress while walking around stores. Now, the stress is minimal to non-existent. However, I am now working on overcoming my greatest fear: public speaking. I have been standing up and making speeches and answering questions in a support group. Last week, I stood up for 45 minutes. This was unthinkable only a few months ago. I think I don't care what others think of me but I still get the old fear reactions in my body (sweating palms, feet, groin). I used to get shaky knees, hands and voice along with a suffocating feeling but these symptoms are gone (maybe because I take 40 mg of propranolol (beta-blocker) two hours before the speech). I wonder if it is mostly a "Pavlovian" reaction or if I really still do care too much about being perfect and making a "perfect" impression on everybody. To clarify the "Pavlovian" theory, maybe its just that my mind is so accustomed through habit to begin the "fight or flight" response in that particular situation. I really want to get the sweating under control because after awhile it becomes very annoying. Obviously, I need to work on some way to relax my body before and during a speech. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I do have a prescription for Klonopin but I don't take it beforehand because I feel it dulls my mind. I take 2 mg of klonopin around 9 pm to take the edge off when I know I will not have anything important left to do in the day. I am open, though, to any suggestions medically or not. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you Tony0306 for your feedback. You have really helped me put things in perspective. Thank you also for your encouragement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts