Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had to quit a job before, I don't know what to say or anything. Can anyone give me some advice? Here it some background, It is a mall job. I have been there for 3 years and have hated most of it. I feel like I would rather die then to go into work and it is not so much the customers but the coworkers. They pretty much ignore me, I don't feel like I am wanted anymore. The only manager that would talk to me was transfered. I feel like they are trying to push me into quitting. They cut my hours down to like 5 and sometimes I am not even on the schedual at all. I came in on sunday only to find that they changed the schedual and I didn't work that day anymore. Noone even bothered to call and let me know, and they know I need my schedual 2 weeks in advance. All of this is really starting to piss me off, but I am to much of a wimp to say anything. I don't want this job anymore. My aniety is through the roof when I think about quitting because I don't know what to do! Anyway, On a good note. I have a second job that I really like (even though it is stil retail) and I get along with everyone there.

Please help,

Andrea

·
Registered
311 Posts
Andrea: You could try a little experiment before you quit. I mean you want to leave there right? so no matter what you say or do the outcome (that you are going to quit) won't change. I am just thinking that this is the perfect opportunity for you to try to be assertive first. Tell them that you are not happy with the lack of hours and ask them why they have cut you back? You'd get a chance to practice assertiveness (with nothing to loose) and wouldn't it be a boost to you if they actually gave you more hours? Then when you quit you could tell them that you weren't getting enough hours before and put your feelers out for a new job. As much as you appreciate them increasing your hours (if thats what they do) someone that you contacted before has made you a lucrative offer that you've accepted. If they haven't increased your hours then you can claim that as the reason (you spoke to them about it and they did nothing)

Its usually best to find another job when you are still working, as employers see you as "in demand".

Good Luck

·
Registered
815 Posts
I quit by last job at Arby's because they insisted I take out my lip ring and I was not ready to do that. So after my shift I told him that I would "like to terminate my employment." He was very nice about it. I guess I should've given too weeks notice but with the situation at hand I couldn't work with my lip ring in, nor could I cover it with a bandaide or anything. So I just stopped working and that was it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

thank you guys for your imput. Still not sure what I am going to do, but at least I have some ideas now.

Thanks,
andrea

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,539 Posts
Keep it positive. Just say you want to pursue other oportunities.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
If you're not happy there you should feel free to leave. It's ok if you just want to leave a note saying you are leaving in 2 weeks. You don't have to give a reason, just keep it simple.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Andrea, I don't know if they want you to quit or not, but I do know that happens. I worked in convenience stores for a few years after I retired from the Navy and I saw that a lot. If they fired someone, they had to pay unemployment. They didn't want to do that, so they would make the employees life so miserable he/she would quit, therefore not eligible for unemployment compensation. That's illegal, but it's hard to prove. I believe the best thing you can do is simply tell them that job is conflicting with your second job and give them notice. That looks better on future applications than saying I hated my job and just quit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think everyone hads given you really good advice. I just wanted to say that I'm happy for you that you have a second job where you feel you can get along with your co-workers.

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
I've quit my last 2 jobs.. one with 3 days notice while I was the only employee right before the biggest weekend of the year cuz my boss was a total *** and didn't even deserve that much notice :lol Just talk yrself up! It's scary before hand but you'll feel so much better afterwards. A couple minutes of being uncomfortable is so much better than staying at a crappy job :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts