Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you not become addicted to medication? The one I am taking says that it's strongly addictive. It's not something I take everyday, just when I need it. Is it unavoidable that eventually your body will get too used to the med and won't work and you'll have to increase your dosage? Or is thee a way to not feel like you always need it. Thanks

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
How do you not become addicted to medication? The one I am taking says that it's strongly addictive. It's not something I take everyday, just when I need it. Is it unavoidable that eventually your body will get too used to the med and won't work and you'll have to increase your dosage? Or is thee a way to not feel like you always need it. Thanks
I have not much experience with benzio's but i avoid addiction with GHB by taking 2 days off every week and not taking more then 2 doses a day.
I'm guessing that may also work with benzo's.

An NMDA antagonist like DXM could also slow tolerance to benzo's.

Taking enough days off is very important!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Many people take benzos only a few times a week and do not develop physical dependence. It's all relative to dose and frequency of use. They aren't really addictive in the same way as a drug like cocaine, and won't give a 'rush' that you feel compelled to chase, but as such a powerful tool to relieve anxiety, someone with bad SA could easily end up using more than they originally intended.

An NMDA antagonist like DXM could also slow tolerance to benzo's.
Have you heard about memantine?

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Yes, memantine is the best option but would be hard to get for most ppl here, its also pretty expensive.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Everybody's assuming you're taking a benzo but you haven't really said anything to that effect. What drug is it, and what dose?

But benzos retain their relative anxiolytic potency for quite a long time, so dose escalation is not often necessary but many people think it is because they lose some of their sedative effect.

The best way to keep from being addicted is to use as low a dose as possible, as infrequently as possible. If you're not taking it every day, that's a good start... but how often ARE you taking it?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a benzo...lorazepan. I don't need to take it daily, maybe just 3-4 times a week.

Oh, and I took the first dose (0.5 mg) yesterday. It seemed to work pretty well. It did make me pretty sleepy, but as long as I kept moving I was fine.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
It's a benzo...lorazepan. I don't need to take it daily, maybe just 3-4 times a week.

Oh, and I took the first dose (5 mil) yesterday. It seemed to work pretty well. It did make me pretty sleepy, but as long as I kept moving I was fine.
I assume you mean 0.5 mg (lorazepam [Ativan] comes in three sizes: 0.5, 1 & 2 mg tablets).

I don't see any real risk of of dependency here if you're going to be taking 2 mg a week at most.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Um, yeah, sorry I'll fix so I don't confuse anyone. :)

Thanks for the responses. I was asking because it said several times that it was strongly addictive.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Um, yeah, sorry I'll fix so I don't confuse anyone. :)

Thanks for the responses. I was asking because it said several times that it was strongly addictive.
It is strongly addicting, particularly for people who are going to abuse the drug.

If you stick with your current dose, at no more than 3-4 times a week, it's impossible to say you WON'T develop a dependency, but if you do the withdrawals may be so mild you might not even notice.

A lot of people confuse the anti-anxiety effects with the sedation benzos have. Tolerance to the sedation builds fairly quickly, and so people start thinking they need more and more of the drug to get the same effect. The reality is though, that the anti-anxiety effects can stay stable for a really long time as long as you stick to the same dose. Keep that in mind, be very very careful about overusing, and you should be fine.

At the dose and frequency you're taking them right now, it's not a huge concern, but benzo dependency creates pretty much the most severe and dangerous withdrawal symptoms of any drug. It makes quitting a heroin habit look like the flu in comparison. So I very strongly urge you to watch yourself because it can be tempting to constantly increase the dose but being dependent on it is the last situation you want to be in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, meyaj, for sharing your knowledge. Luckily I don't go to work or school on a daily basis, so hopefully I can avoid any addiction or scary withdrawals.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's actually very cheap, and easy to obtain.
would Lamictal (lamotrigine) be classified as sorta an NMDA antagonist...and possibly have anti tolerance properties...due to its inhibition of Glutamate release? im confused about whether Lamictal is good or not

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is strongly addicting, particularly for people who are going to abuse the drug.

If you stick with your current dose, at no more than 3-4 times a week, it's impossible to say you WON'T develop a dependency, but if you do the withdrawals may be so mild you might not even notice.
Meyaj. Sorry dude, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. A dose of Ativan at .5 mg is not "addicting" at all.

First of all, to say benzos are addicting is misleading. There's a lot of confusion between tolerance, dependency, withdrawal, and addiction. These terms are not interchangeable. Second, in such a low dose, it's pretty hard to get addicted to it. While there are people that have benzo addictions, you probably won't see one that has an addiction to .5 mg....

As long as you take your dose as required and don't up it, then I see little to worry about....

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
the less medication the better I hate to feel all drugged up

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Meyaj. Sorry dude, but you really have no idea what you're talking about. A dose of Ativan at .5 mg is not "addicting" at all.

First of all, to say benzos are addicting is misleading. There's a lot of confusion between tolerance, dependency, withdrawal, and addiction. These terms are not interchangeable. Second, in such a low dose, it's pretty hard to get addicted to it. While there are people that have benzo addictions, you probably won't see one that has an addiction to .5 mg....

As long as you take your dose as required and don't up it, then I see little to worry about....
ANY dose of a benzo can cause you to develop a dependence. It's not like there's some magic threshold dose where you miraculously develop the possibility of dependence. It works more like a scale - the higher the dose, the worse the dependence. Frequency is also a factor (and I would argue in most cases that it is a BIGGER factor.) As I ALSO mentioned, at that dose any withdrawals might barely be noticeable. If you were any good at reading comprehension you'd see that my post was mostly a warning against dose escalation. I don't consider 0.5mg to be seriously dependence-forming at all.

And if you noticed, may post was only started off with the word addicting, as that was how the OP put it, but I switched to the word DEPENDENCE for the rest of the entire post because that's the real issue with long-term prescription benzo use, and it seemed fairly obvious to me that dependency was what the OP was actually concerned about when she used the word "addicted." I'm fully aware of the differences between all the terms.

·
Registered
440 Posts
"It is strongly addicting, particularly for people who are going to abuse the drug.

If you stick with your current dose, at no more than 3-4 times a week, it's impossible to say you WON'T develop a dependency, but if you do the withdrawals may be so mild you might not even notice."

Benzos are not strongly addictive. That's all I have to say. Don't be such a douche meyaj.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
Benzos are not strongly addictive.
Now that's just delusional. And either way, addictiveness in the technical sense you're referring to usually depends more on the individual than on the substance itself, which is why for the most part I find it useless to talk about how addictive a substance is and instead focused on the well known dependence issues that benzos have.

I'm not trying to be a douche, but when you call me out for having no idea what I'm talking about, and lecture me on differences in terminology that I am more than aware of, when you clearly lack the ability to read between the lines, I don't know how else to respond.

I'm not at all interested in having an e-fight with you, so this is going to be my last post in this thread and I really hope the animosity doesn't spill over into the rest of the board.

I just wanted to make it clear to Sarah106 that you have to be very careful with benzos, which in my view you happened to be undermining. 0.5mg a few times a week is nothing to really be concerned about, but people who end up with addiction and/or dependence often start with similarly small doses and let dose escalation get out of hand because they don't take the consequences seriously.

This is essentially what i was trying to communicate to her. It's one thing to be a pedant, but it seemed to me like you were taking away from the seriousness of the subject just because you had thought I was confusing terminology (which I wasn't anyways.)

·
Banned
196 Posts
I've read that Valerian can be used to substitute a benzo while you're trying to come off it... but that was wikipedia, so I guess everyone already knows that.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Really, meyaj?
I'm not fighting you, I'm disagreeing with your information.

There are many studies and research that points that the abuse potential for benzodiazepines are low, so I'm not the only person who thinks their addiction and dependency potential is overblown. Talking about benzodiazepines from only your personal experience, is one thing, but there are others out there that look at research, and studies that design and test just those things we're talking about.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1911877/?page=1

Johanson, C.E. & Uhlenhuth, E.H. (1980) Drug preference and mood in humans: Diazepam. Psychopharmacology, 71, 269-273.

de Wit, H., Johanson, C. E., & Uhlenhuth, E. H. (1984) Reinforcing properties of lorazepam in normal volunteers. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 13, 31-41.

Griffiths, R. R., Bigelow, G.E., & Henningfield, J.E. (1980) Similarities in animal and human drug taking behavior. In N.K. Mello (Ed.) , Advances in substance abuse (Vol. 1, pp. 1-90) Greenwich, CT: JAI Press

And here's one for high-anxiety patients: de Wit, H., & Johanson, C.E. (1987). A drug preference procedure for use with human volunteers. In M.A. Bozarth (Ed.), Methods of assessing the reinforcing properties of abused drugs (pp. 559-572). New York: Springer-Verlag

The only two populations that have abuse potential are moderate drinkers and frequent drug abusers. The two scenarios under which a dangerous dependency or addiction could come out would be high doses or increased dose paradigms.

I'm not picking a fight, I just didn't think what you were saying was right. Are you saying any of that research is delusional? And addictiveness of a substance has a huge basis in its reward potential, but not as much in a person's personal genetics....

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Abuse potential is a differend thing then dependence, its completely possible to experience withdrawals after weeks of use even tough there wasnt any abuse.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts