Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you make it obvious to another person that you don't want to talk to them without seeming rude...

like when they ask you a question, you are kinda being forced to respond or you will look retarded if you don't, they will think you are not normal

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ignoring other people is rude regardless, unless they wish to be ignored.

If you want to be subtle about it, like in the questions situation you give as an example, you could give really short and limited replies. After a while, the other person will realise on a conscious or sub-consious that asking you questions is not a useful endeavour, hence they should stop asking you.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I ignore people in the gym, but some try to start a conversation with me.... I don't know how to respond to them the right way... and feel really socially retarded after that

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
You could act like you're in a hurry and tell the person you have to get going. If you're stuck somewhere, then not really sure what you could do unless you were already doing something. If so, you could give short answers and try to go back to what you were doing beforehand and they may get the hint.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
what gym did you go to.. people never try to start conversations with me when i went to the gym..
it's a gym in a jewish community center in brooklyn
sort of like YMCA
I think they want to know me, because, they see that I do hard lifting with many sets, and they probably think that I'm cool and stuff...

they don't know that I feel completely miserable and worthless inside

·
Professor Genius
80 Posts
Good question. I struggle with that too. For now I'm just going to play the rude card.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The only time i tend to ignore people - as a rule - really is if they're rude to me. And then it's pretty much looking away from them and just not answering them. Sure it's rude, but the way I see it is if they were rude (or aggressive to me in some way) to me first then I've not got much reason to feel guilty. Then again though there has been the odd time I've not responded to something someone said because of my anxiety/mind going blank and have felt bad about it afterwards. It's not something I deliberately set out to do. But it does happen from time to time.

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I find that a pair of headphones works. Walking around Europe, I've been stopped by people asking for directions or people hitting on me. Listening to my iPod reduces the chance of this happening.

·
Registered
339 Posts
people talking to you is their choice. You dont have to respond but this isn't helpful if you want to make friends and feel more outgoing.

How about....."people find me interesting or want to get to know my amazing self"?

Or simply, "i'm just having some quiet time right now, i'd really like it if we could talk another time though, how about next week?" etc etc - i use this one quite often, people respect it because it oozes confidence and says 'get lost' without making a drama.

if it's strangers, then, frankly if they get offended, thats their choice.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
How do you make it obvious to another person that you don't want to talk to them without seeming rude...

like when they ask you a question, you are kinda being forced to respond or you will look retarded if you don't, they will think you are not normal
Well, if it's someone I don't know and don't have to deal with again, I don't really worry too much about offending them or anything. First of all, I try to avoid them speaking to me at all in the first place. To accomplish this, I just don't look at them or acknowledge them in any way even though I know they're there (I'll see them in my peripheral vision).

Also, if there's someone in the area who I think is going to try and strike up a conversation with me, I try to limit the amount of time they have to speak to me as much as possible. I walk briskly. If I need to enter an area where people are and I don't want to deal with anyone, I enter, do what I need to do as quickly as possible and get the heck out of there.

It's mean but I have to say that my dad drives me crazy sometimes. I love him but he doesn't understand my introversion. If I'm in the same room with him for more than five seconds, he'll just start talking about random stuff. I try to avoid him without hurting his feelings but it's damn hard. Sometimes he just won't quit and follows me around even though it should be obvious I'm in no mood to talk. I feel bad even talking about it because I should never feel that way about my father who lets me live in his house free of charge at 35.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts