Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wondering how could i help a friend who has been through ptsd due to repeated prolonged (years) sexual assault she has nightmares and pushes people away who try to help just wonderin' what i can say? it feels like im stepping on egg shells and i want to be very careful with what to do and what not to do

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
I would say to just be supportive as a friend, but I would leave the deeper issues to a professional.

·
ಠ ¿ ಠ
913 Posts
Well, I, myself, have post-traumatic stress disorder from a very painful experience that lasted a few months during middle school. Any sort of tangible negative criticism that I take, at all, is much more painful and hurtful than it would otherwise be to someone without PTSD. Coupled with SA, the cumulative pain and damage I've suffered over the years has become almost unbearable. I will not speak of my case further.

I am, however, sorry for your friend. Could you be more specific about it?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would say to just be supportive as a friend, but I would leave the deeper issues to a professional.
I would agree with this, you are treading on ground you have no buisness treading on. Just be supporting and tell the person to seek professional help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts