Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , l want to become a teacher but, when i see my teachers some of them are very good they have knowledge about the course and all the other necessary things..... but they don't have control and command over the students. as a result they are always in a trouble.. like in class students are disturbing and there is a hell time ....
How can we have command and control over the student specially the naughty ones so that they don't disturb the others.????

Tips from experienced teacher will be appreciated :) .. and also if you can share a story of your live in which students have bothered you so much that you decided to leave the teaching profession....:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hello :)

I have done quite a bit of lecturing at university level but I have also given various lectures to high school and even primary school students. I know exactly what you mean. For me successful teaching of any age group and for any subject has been about getting the balance between interacting with students on their level and also having their respect right. What a lot of teachers do (that I have seen) is when a student is acting inappropriately, they discipline the child, verbally, of course but hold it over the child for the rest of the lesson. Once you have regained control of the class, you need to let the incident go and continue relating to them on their level. It is something you can only get with experience unfortunately. There have been many times when I have said to myself 'I am never teaching again!'. Each time it has been because of one student, just one. You need to remind yourself that one student is a pain but the rest are fine - they are the minority. You also need to ensure that the naughty student does not become your focus for the entire class. Too often teachers give all of their focus to those that behave badly and the quiet students get left out. Some students are high maintenance and feel that you are their personal walking text book. You need to divide your attention equally across the class. Again, this occurs with practice.

The fact that you have even asked this question implies that you will be an excellent teacher. Kids know when a teacher cares and when a teacher doesn't. They know when you put in effort and when you don't. Too may teachers forget that. When you care and show that you care by giving them the attention they need, they will respond favourably - even 17 year old sporty types who think they should not have to learn anything about science. I have had many students say to me ' thank you for showing an interest in us'. There is no better feeling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts