Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if this was the right thread but I'll post it here anyway since its concerning therapies. How would I go about trying to get treatment? I've read that I would need to see a doctor first to get a referral but I think my SA goes beyond that and I doubt I can see a doctor even just to ask. Think it would be alright to ask a therapist/psychologist through email to ask for help?

·
:/
957 Posts
I've never gone through my general doctor for a referral to see a therapist. I think it would be okay to email someone as long as you are setting up an appointment. Or you could get a family member to call and setup one for you.

Will you be able to go to a therapist appointment? I'm sure you'll worry a lot beforehand like many of us do with our first appointment. The actual event isn't too bad, and I'm sure you'll find some relief being able to talk about your problems with someone who is nonjudgmental.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Are you in the US and do you have health insurance? I don't believe you need a referral for a psychologist as they aren't a "medical" doctor. A psychiatrist is another story, though. A word of caution - if you're looking for someone who takes your insurance, be aware that lots of psychologists/social workers aren't taking health insurance nowadays because they don't like dealing with reimbursements and paperwork with the insurance providers. However, you can get reimbursed by your health ins. if you submit receipts from your therapist. Good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad I`m not alone on this small situation. I`ll take the advice and just email a psych. I`m living in Ontario, so I should be covered since I`ll be going back to my studies in September.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.