Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I have a presitation and I'm terrified I just want to get it over with but I'm to scared to and I havent spoke at all in the class so this will be the first time they here me talk and people also say the way I talk is weird so people will be laughing at me and when I get nervous my heart beats fast so my voice sounds shakey

·
Registered
52 Posts
I avoided public speaking altogether in school. Just flat our refused, which affected my grades lol.
In the end the teachers ended up sending to me a psychologist, where I was diagnosed with SA, and exempt from public speaking for the rest of my school years.

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
I avoided public speaking altogether in school. Just flat our refused, which affected my grades lol.
In the end the teachers ended up sending to me a psychologist, where I was diagnosed with SA, and exempt from public speaking for the rest of my school years.
lucky

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Tomorrow I have a presitation and I'm terrified I just want to get it over with but I'm to scared to and I havent spoke at all in the class so this will be the first time they here me talk and people also say the way I talk is weird so people will be laughing at me and when I get nervous my heart beats fast so my voice sounds shakey
I'm the same as you. I get super shaky in my voice and also my legs. I get so nervous that I forget everything I was supposed to say when I get up there.

I don't know how I survived it, I just kept showing up every week. I got a B+ in that class, even though I sucked at it.

My advice is to just keep trying, keep showing up, and don't give in.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would suggest faking being confident. Just visualize yourself reading your entire speech confidently and perfectly. And just repeat the visualizations over and over until your subconscious is tricked into believing you are confident...
Well that sounds easy enough, but i've never tried it... i just read about it somewhere.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I'd say to focus on your notes and look over peoples heads instead of at their face. Also, your teacher is a good person to gravitate to if you need something to keep looking at.

I had to do two presentations this semester. The first one I couldn't get my breath, but after a minute or two I calmed down, and I didn't have that anxiety anymore. The second one was easier in terms of talking, but I was relying on memory which caused me to stumble through parts of it. The funny part is it didn't really bother me too much. After a couple minutes of talking, I was mainly just focused on the task and not the people.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Not sure you can do that in an Australian High School.
In my day, there was hardly any public speaking anyway. But SA didn't exist then, .....until the eightees I think?

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
My advice would be...avoid perfection, try to enjoy it, use it as a learning experience...I'll bet there are other worse than you. At least you've had the courage to come on here and ask for advice.

Look at your notes (before the presentation)and ask yourself" What is the most important thing I want to say here?"...mkae sure that at least that message gets across and use eye contact when you say it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I took public speaking last semester, best thing to do would be to practice your speech over and over again OUT LOUD, either to yourself or with family and friends, until you feel as though you've gotten it down! I always practiced looking at the audience, but during my presentation to make me feel less nervous, I would look at the back walls above their heads so I would feel less anxious. There's no doubt you'll be nervous, everyone is. Just go up there with the mind set that you'll nail it and you will, speak with confidence! You've got this! Good luck!

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
a very simple solution that will work would be to get a letter from the therapist, go to disability services, tell them, they make accommodations, no more oral presentation, problem solved.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Man, you guys are brave. Public speaking is my number one greatest fear. The only way I was able to get through it in high school was to get completely hammered before the class of the presentation. And even then I was nervous as ****! But, it did help, a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
what really helped me was saying everything slower than i usally would, it helped me say things better and gather my thoughts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure you can do that in an Australian High School.
In my day, there was hardly any public speaking anyway. But SA didn't exist then, .....until the eightees I think?
I can't speak for the rest of Australia, but in NSW if you're studying for the HSC, you can apply for exemptions for all sorts of things. If you're a slow writer, have speech problems, or any kind of illness or disorder that may disadvantage you in any way, they will find a way to help you out. For example if you are a slow writer, they may have someone write assessments or exams for you while you dictate.

At the time, I had no idea a thing called 'social anxiety' even existed, all I knew was that I was absolutely terrified of public speaking, to the point where I would rather avoid it altogether and receive no mark or a zero.
The teachers noticed this was a problem, sent me to the school counsellor, who then referred me to a child psychologist at RPA hospital,. There I was examined, diagnosed, offered treatment and written a certificate to take back to my school to exclude me from all public speaking and presentations.
The board of education organised it so that I would still write my speeches and presentations (which I actually excelled at) but someone else would be nominated to get up and speak them for me.
Worked out well for me, because my grades no longer suffered because of it.

·
Mutual Sufferer
169 Posts
Repetition.

Plan your speech, practice it in front of a mirror or record on your webcam, revise it. Rinse and repeat.

It's uncomfortable and perhaps a bit embarrassing if any one else is in the house, but it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts