Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Social outcast
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have severe muscle tenseness and stiffness when i'm around people. I can't control it, it just happens. It causes people to stare at me because they can see that i'm really nervous or uncomfortable. Yesterday, I had to do this career fair at school and talk to people that I didn't know. I did good with talking, I talked loud and my words didn't jumble or anything which i'm proud of, but I was physically uncomfortable, and I guess people could see that on me because a lot of people were staring at me, this guy pointed out how nervous I looked and this lady talked to me like I was mentally challenged.. :um does anyone know how to get rid of this??

·
Registered
331 Posts
You still brave for doing all that in my book.
Muscle stiffness hmm. Not sure but you could try a medicament to help you relax physically but since you Muscle stiffness is triggered by your anxiety then perhaps something else. I do not have n answer right bow other just going to a Doctor for that specific issue, If I know more about I will let you know, meditate.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
does anyone know how to get rid of this??
From the posts I've seen by you - what you've written - it sounds like you have some pretty significant anxiety issues (?).

The vibe I get from your comments here is "see a doctor; get professional treatment." I don't think anyone here is going to be able to suggest any real quick fixes for you.

As the above poster suggested, you could try exercising. Even small stuff like making sure you have a good stretch in the morning. You could Google some suggestions. It can do wonders.

This anxiety and nervousness around people, though... Doctor.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
If you've gotten this long enough, it becomes an involuntary reaction. I have this too and since i am trying to work through this myself, I don't have any real surefire prevention method yet.

But I seem to think that this is a reaction that you:

1) Have to become aware and conscious of at the time it happens.
2) Try to "unlearn" it.

That at least might be a step in the right direction?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Progressive muscle relaxation might do the trick. Basically, you're supposed to systematically tense various muscles/muscle groups, and relax them. For example, you would tense your right forearm first (i.e. clutch your hand to tense it) for maybe 5-10 seconds, and then relax it. Then you would tense your right bicep/tricep, making sure not to re-tense your right forearm, and relax it. Then you may want to go on to your left arm. You would continually go around your body tensing/relaxing different muscle groups, until essentially every muscle has been tensed. You may also want to include your facial muscles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts