Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Obviously people with addictive tendencies are going to be at a higher risk, but addiction is a big risk with benzos, which is why they are a schedule III drug.
Benzos are a schedule IV, so the lowest level of controlled substance.

Though I would note that there is no practical difference between C-IV and C-III -- they're treated the same in every way. Such that my C-III AndroGel (who the hell is abusing that?:stu) has identical restrictions to my C-IV Xanax.

Rohypnol would be the only exception & that's for political reasons that have nothing to do with pharmacology. It's demonized as a "date rape" drug when alcohol is and always has been the ultimate date rape drug. 80 years ago a horny sleaze ball would have slipped her a Mickey, where the drug used back then would have been chloral hydrate. The one thing that's never changed, despite the passage of generations, is that it was slipped into alcohol. Few think of alcohol as a date rape drug, even though it's used in so damn many cases of date rape.

Or in the case of RC (research chemical) benzos, they're not a controlled substance at all since they're not even officially drugs, so long as one can pretend they're not for human use.

I am not saying nobody should take benzos; they're extremely useful and do their job. There are also some issues that may arise with long-term use, but oftentimes the benefits do outweigh the risks. Just as a precaution, it's good to keep in mind that it is an addictive substance, just so you can monitor yourself and make sure you are taking them responsibly. That's all I'm trying to say.
I can agree with you there. It's no different than how the majority of people will use alcohol responsibly -- avoiding behaviors like binge drinking or drunk driving -- even though alcohol is a highly addictive substance. I'd add that MDs who refuse to prescribe benzos can unintentionally drive patients to drink instead as patients are going to self-medicate if the medical community fails to address their needs. In doing so, they're replacing benzos, a remarkably non-toxic drug, with alcohol, which is one of the most toxic substances around. Alcohol is involved in the bulk of fatal ODs.

I had a NP tell me I was seeking narcotics just because I mentioned I was having joint pain. :roll I'm not one to yell at employees, but yeah, I flipped out on her.
Oh, goodie, a glorified nurse with a bad attitude.

It would hardly be shocking that someone in pain would seek pain killers. Unfortunately, everyone is treated like a junkie due to the behavior of a minority of the population that are actual junkies. This is why we get ridiculous crap like Vicodin being rescheduled from C-III to C-II where one needs to transport a physical prescription to a pharmacy and do the same every damn month, wasting countless hours, instead of allowing MDs to fax or phone in a script with up to 5 refills to keep them supplied for the next 6 months.

Given my sig line I think you can figure out that I'm no fan of the DEA. That sig line used to be more graphic before mods made me change it. The original version specified the slow & painful way they should be executed.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Are you going to tell him about the research chemicals too?
Now what makes you think I'd consume research chemicals? They're all clearly market as hazardous with a skull & crossbones to be used as laboratory reagents only.

I, of course, only use them for legitimate research purposes in my home lab.

SWIM tried 60 tablets of diclazepam, a Valium analog, for a total dose of 120 mg. That's allegedly equal to 120 tablets of 10 mg Valium (the largest dosage size) and it still did nothing for SWIM. SWIM finds other RCs equally unimpressive.

SWIM has also tried Soma and finds that it actually has some anti-anxiety effect.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
Now what makes you think I'd consume research chemicals? They're all clearly market as hazardous with a skull & crossbones to be used as laboratory reagents only.

I, of course, only use them for legitimate research purposes in my home lab.

SWIM tried 60 tablets of diclazepam, a Valium analog, for a total dose of 120 mg. That's allegedly equal to 120 tablets of 10 mg Valium (the largest dosage size) and it still did nothing for SWIM. SWIM finds other RCs equally unimpressive.

SWIM has also tried Soma and finds that it actually has some anti-anxiety effect.
It seems that you would like to try barbiturates? They still are used for people with severe seizure disorders.

One called Fioricet is used for migrains.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fioricet

Got seizures or migraines?

Oh wait - one last thing. They like to use barbs for executions. Maybe you could just ask to be executed. lol. I'm sure the state of Texas would love to accommodate you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Benzos are a schedule IV, so the lowest level of controlled substance.

Though I would note that there is no practical difference between C-IV and C-III -- they're treated the same in every way. Such that my C-III AndroGel (who the hell is abusing that?:stu) has identical restrictions to my C-IV Xanax.
In my state, benzos are actually C-IIIs and are treated like C-IIs - you can't get refills on them and doctors are just as stringent about benzos as they are C-II narcotics, so sorry, that might have caused some confusion.

Nobody I'm aware of is abusing AndroGel, lol! I wonder about that a lot.

Oh, goodie, a glorified nurse with a bad attitude.

It would hardly be shocking that someone in pain would seek pain killers. Unfortunately, everyone is treated like a junkie due to the behavior of a minority of the population that are actual junkies. This is why we get ridiculous crap like Vicodin being rescheduled from C-III to C-II where one needs to transport a physical prescription to a pharmacy and do the same every damn month, wasting countless hours, instead of allowing MDs to fax or phone in a script with up to 5 refills to keep them supplied for the next 6 months.
Unforunately, the glorified nurses with bad attitudes have been my entire experience in the past year or so that I've had health insurance. They take it upon themselves to be the drug police. I've finally found a decent one, though, and she just seems to want to help any way she can. I asked for hydrocodone the other day because I was in so much pain I could barely walk - I was terrified to ask - but she had no problem sending over a 5 day supply to help get me through it. I don't get why it was such a huge problem with everyone else. Obviously I don't want to become dependent on narcotics, but if I'm in a ridiculous amount of pain, I'm gonna break at some point.

But it's becoming law here to have all controlled medications be e-scribed over to pharmacies, which I think will make it easier on the patients receiving them. There are, however, the doctors who want you to come in every month for....what, an evaluation? I have no idea. I've never understood why hydrocodone and the like aren't allowed to have refills. :/

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
It seems that you would like to try barbiturates? They still are used for people with severe seizure disorders.

One called Fioricet is used for migrains.

Got seizures or migraines?

Oh wait - one last thing. They like to use barbs for executions. Maybe you could just ask to be executed. lol. I'm sure the state of Texas would love to accommodate you.
I don't need the liver-toxic Tylenol found in Fioricet. Also, no particular use for the caffeine. (I'd note that Tylenol is the world's #1 suicide drug.)

Yes, I would love to try barbs. I'm well aware that Seconal & Nembutal are used as suicide drugs in euthanasia. Marilyn Monroe died of a Nembutal OD. I think it was a Seconal OD that took Judy Garland. Jimmy Hendrix also died of a barb OD.

I fully recognize they're dangerous, but then so is my Springfield competition pistol where the shortest & lightest trigger pull will launch a .45 caliber round. It's very dangerous in the hands of a novice who will most likely rest their index finger on the trigger, leading to a negligent discharge.

The fact that something is dangerous doesn't mean that it can't be used responsibly by someone who respects its power. I'm quite used to dealing with dangerous & deadly things, yet you'll notice that I'm still very much alive (and I have no bullet holes in me either).

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
I don't need the liver-toxic Tylenol found in Fioricet. Also, no particular use for the caffeine. (I'd note that Tylenol is the world's #1 suicide drug.)

Yes, I would love to try barbs. I'm well aware that Seconal & Nembutal are used as suicide drugs in euthanasia. Marilyn Monroe died of a Nembutal OD. I think it was a Seconal OD that took Judy Garland. Jimmy Hendrix also died of a barb OD.

I fully recognize they're dangerous, but then so is my Springfield competition pistol where the shortest & lightest trigger pull will launch a .45 caliber round. It's very dangerous in the hands of a novice who will most likely rest their index finger on the trigger, leading to a negligent discharge.

The fact that something is dangerous doesn't mean that it can't be used responsibly by someone who respects its power. I'm quite used to dealing with dangerous & deadly things, yet you'll notice that I'm still very much alive (and I have no bullet holes in me either).
According to wiki there's a variation of the drug called Fiorinal that has no Tylenol.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
According to wiki there's a variation of the drug called Fiorinal that has no Tylenol.

Fiorinal contains 325mg of aspirin, which clearly has no purpose in treating anxiety. All that aspirin would just be a gut-rotter that could cause ulcers. I do take 81mg of aspirin daily to help prevent a heart attack, as is recommended for all men over the age of 45 (even though I'm still a couple years short of that). You may recall my family history includes a brother who died of a heart attack at 45.

I'd rather try phenobarbital. Phenobarb is a C-IV drug, so on par with benzos according to the DEA.

Yes, I know there have been suicides using phenobarbital, including the Heaven's Gate Cult that used it with vodka & a bag over their head to die as they waited for a space ship. Margot Hemingway also committed suicide with phenobarbital in 1996 at the age of 42. Though suicide seems to run in the Hemingway family with, I think, 5 suicides over the generations. Earnest Hemingway clearly demonstrated you don't need any drug to die, when he blew his brains out with a shotgun.

I just want a tranquilizer that works. For the vast majority of people that would be benzos. Well, benzos, for some reason that no doctor is able to explain, don't work for me.

Is it fair that I get screwed for being in the minority that don't respond to benzos?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So I went into the doctors, told him how my anxiety negatively affects my life, how it is general and all throughout the day, all of this is true, and he recommended another SSRI. I got the feeling if I directly asked for klonopin he would say no, but I mentioned my brother had been on "something with a k" but instead he went the SSRI route of lexapro. I didn't want to push it so I decided to give the medication he prescribed a try but I didn't pick it up that day cause I didn't have the money available.

The day after my visit I had a mild panic attack, I called the drs office like three times and eventually he called me back, and he was very calm and I just said I'm freaking out for no reason and I said my brother takes klonopin and he said something like we can give it a try while the lexapro takes affect to stop panic attacks. He prescribed .5mg pills "take one or two for panic attacks as needed." Since I only had a certain amount of money available to budget for meds I picked up the klonopin, and for the first week until I could afford the lexapro I took one klonopin .5mg a day and it got rid of my anxiety at least by 50%, I feel like a completely different person and it has helped tremendously.

I just started the lexapro (20mg daily) and I can feel it already on the second day, it helps mellow me out I guess but it hasn't taken away my anxiety like the klonopin does, so I've still been taking .5mg of klonopin in addition with the lexapro.

How should I go about getting my doctor to continue to prescribe me klonopin? Hands down this is the best aid I have ever taken to help my anxiety and I feel no need to abuse it or overuse it, I feel like a normal person finally.

·
Almost empty
1,247 Posts
Klonopin is easy to get. I may use it again. Not sure though. One psychiatrist would not give me Xanax, even though I was never addicted to it. He was a good doc. I give him props for that

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Klonopin can't be that hard to get. My older brother gets 2 mg/day from his GP and he was previously on Ativan. He's been on benzos for the last 16 years.

Every doctor has thrown Xanax at me over the past 13 years and I don't even have to ask for it.

·
Almost empty
1,247 Posts
Klonopin can't be that hard to get. My older brother gets 2 mg/day from his GP and he was previously on Ativan. He's been on benzos for the last 16 years. Every doctor has thrown Xanax at me over the past 13 years and I don't even have to ask for it.
I'm concerned about going back on med/s. You have many years of experience & w/ probably higher doses than me. How is you & your brother's anxiety these days? Would you say benzo's are a positive in your life? I heard of the anxiety-rebound-effect after taking benzo's. I have only taken low doses in my life. Thanks

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.