Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried a couple different SSRIs, they gave me nasty side affects and I didn't like how I felt. I'm looking to get prescribed klonopin, what should I say to my doctor to increase my chances?

I actually do have anxiety, but I don't want to be on SSRI's, I'd like to get a prescription of klonopin cause I took .5mg and it literally helped me more than anything else I've ever tried.

Just go in, say I have panic attacks and have severe anxiety that makes work and interacting with others almost impossible? When the doctor asks me how long this has been going on what should I say? And should I say some kind of event made my anxiety worse like PTSD? Thanks.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,498 Posts
Age and what have you tried for meds before?

NEVER mention PTSD since people with PTSD are more likely to abuse drugs!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been on and off prozac and celexa since I was about 17, I'm 22 now. Most recently was about 8 months ago with the celexa, made me very aggressive. The klonopin made me feel completely normal and social, it was amazing.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,498 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in the USA, should I just go with hey Doc I've tried SSRIs before and they didnt help, I'd like to try something else for a while? I get very anxious throughout the day and it makes it hard to function? I'm afraid mentioning a specific drug might ring an alarm, depending on the doctor.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,498 Posts
Since I'm seeing a new doctor for my appointment, the old one was a snob.
Well there is alot of other medicines that could help, so if you are "unlucky" they want you to try that first...

Otherwise RC- benzos like Clonazelam and Etizolam seems alot easier way to go... Or Phenibut its OTC in the US.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,498 Posts
But otherwise, tell Dr that you tried SSRI and in maxdoses, and it didn't help. And that you have started to avoid things, like hanging with your friends because of anxiety, (not panikattacks).

(you have had several panikattacks, and altough not pleasant, you know how they are and that it passes after 15minutes)

Another good thing would be to say that you have tried CBT-therapy over the internet, but that didn't help. (read up abit on it,incase Dr asks about it).

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to ask for Klonopin if that's what you want. Worst they can do is so "no." If you prefer being less direct, you could say "I was wondering if a benzodiazepine might help. What do you think?" -- that way you're not asking for a drug, but rather you're asking for their expert medical opinion, which they should find flattering.

My brother (age 63) gets 2mg of Klonopin per day from his GP and years ago he took Ativan. He's been on benzos for the last 16 years and will presumably remain on them till death.

MDs are happy to keep throwing Xanax at me, even though it does little to nothing.

I get 4mg/day and when I finally see my new pdoc in April I intend to bring in my box-o-benzo bottles. I saved ever one to demonstrate that I was actually on 10mg/day for most of a decade and it didn't work.

I'll ask: "If 10mg didn't work, do you think 4mg is likely to work?" He'll really be stumped by that question, as benzos are expected to be universally effective. They're not.

Alternative tranquilizers are "too dangerous." If I get that idiotic excuse I'll show the little kid (he younger than me) my concealed carry permit. The Attorney General deems me competent to carry a deadly weapon on my person, but I'm not competent to handle a drug that carries any risk? That seems odd, doesn't it?

Do any of you guys think that I'd try to kill myself with pills -- which is not very effective -- when I'm a "gun nut" with a loaded .45 cocked & locked within 20 feet of me? ("Locked" just means the safety is on, so flick the safety off and it's ready to fire.)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
My psychiatrist acts like 1mg klonopin is dangerous. Actually get the feeling she wants me off of it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The reason benzos became so wildly popular is because of how safe they are. Safe meaning non-toxic. Look up the LD50 for any benzo and you'll see they'd make terrible suicide drugs.

While many MDs suffer from benzo-phobia, 1mg of Klonopin isn't much at all. The FDA approved Klonopin as safe & effective for seizures at doses up to 20mg per day. By comparison, you dose looks tiny.

What does she propose as an alternative that's "safer" and equally effective? I sure can't think of anything.

·
Registered
495 Posts
All I did to get klonopin was tell my doctor it worked for me in the past. I must've gotten lucky, because I saw a bunch of other different doctors that treated me like a criminal for just mentioning I was being prescribed benzos. Several yelled at me, one kicked me out even though I was only seeing her for migraines, one even tried to call my pharmacy and tell them not to fill my klonopin scripts anymore. But this was coming from general practitioners. My psychiatrist handled the situation and frankly was appalled by their behavior. So, if you can, see a psychiatrist for a klonopin script.

There is no denying that it is a safe medication. However, it's very addictive, and the withdrawal can be hell if you're taking it regularly. You can also start to get side effects like blurred vision and slurred speech, among other things. This is why my doctor is weaning me off of it now. He cut my dose in half and I don't think I'll get a new script when I'm done with this one. I'm kind of scared because I've come to depend on it when I have anxiety attacks, especially since it's the only thing that's ever worked for me. Not going to lie, I am scared.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The reason benzos became so wildly popular is because of how safe they are. Safe meaning non-toxic. Look up the LD50 for any benzo and you'll see they'd make terrible suicide drugs.

While many MDs suffer from benzo-phobia, 1mg of Klonopin isn't much at all. The FDA approved Klonopin as safe & effective for seizures at doses up to 20mg per day. By comparison, you dose looks tiny.
Benzo-phobia really only exists because it's a controlled substance that is often abused. Addiction is very common, almost unavoidable. The thing that boggles my mind, though, is that it's probably the safest controlled substance on earth to overdose on. My mother tried to kill herself and took like 120mg - all she did was sleep, thank god.

My psychiatrist says that 4mg per day is the max daily dose approved for panic disorder, though, or really any kind of anxiety disorder. If you build up a tolerance, 4mg becomes nothing, honestly.

I hate how stigmatizing benzos are. I really do. If they weren't, I don't think there would be as much benzo abuse,

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Benzo-phobia really only exists because it's a controlled substance that is often abused.
First we must realize that junkies will abuse pretty much anything they can get their hands on. Junkies often get their hands on benzos because they are a very common medication.

Addiction is very common, almost unavoidable.
Addiction isn't common and should not be confused with dependency that's fully expected, especially with large doses.

The thing that boggles my mind, though, is that it's probably the safest controlled substance on earth to overdose on. My mother tried to kill herself and took like 120mg - all she did was sleep, thank god.
Your mother obviously didn't research suicide, such as to know that 120mg isn't going to do anything more than produce a nap. Do you know how they'd treat such an OD in an ER? They'd let her sleep it off, though sleeping in the ER is very expensive as opposed to sleeping in your own bed at home.

The irony of benzo-phobe doctors is that they drive patients to alternative calming substances -- like alcohol, which is highly toxic and involved in the bulk of fatal ODs.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,498 Posts
^Betablockers like Propranolol will stop those Panic attacks?..

Also do you differ between Addiction or Dependence?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
All I did to get klonopin was tell my doctor it worked for me in the past. I must've gotten lucky, because I saw a bunch of other different doctors that treated me like a criminal for just mentioning I was being prescribed benzos. Several yelled at me, one kicked me out even though I was only seeing her for migraines, one even tried to call my pharmacy and tell them not to fill my klonopin scripts anymore. But this was coming from general practitioners. My psychiatrist handled the situation and frankly was appalled by their behavior. So, if you can, see a psychiatrist for a klonopin script.
I don't think yelling at patients or kicking them out for the "offense" of being a benzo-using patient is consistent with proper medical ethics.

Those doctors, supposed professionals, were acting like jackasses.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
MDs are happy to keep throwing Xanax at me, even though it does little to nothing.

I get 4mg/day and when I finally see my new pdoc in April I intend to bring in my box-o-benzo bottles. I saved ever one to demonstrate that I was actually on 10mg/day for most of a decade and it didn't work.

I'll ask: "If 10mg didn't work, do you think 4mg is likely to work?" He'll really be stumped by that question, as benzos are expected to be universally effective. They're not.

Alternative tranquilizers are "too dangerous." If I get that idiotic excuse I'll show the little kid (he younger than me) my concealed carry permit. The Attorney General deems me competent to carry a deadly weapon on my person, but I'm not competent to handle a drug that carries any risk? That seems odd, doesn't it?
Are you going to tell him about the research chemicals too?

·
Registered
495 Posts
First we must realize that junkies will abuse pretty much anything they can get their hands on. Junkies often get their hands on benzos because they are a very common medication.

Addiction isn't common and should not be confused with dependency that's fully expected, especially with large doses.

Your mother obviously didn't research suicide, such as to know that 120mg isn't going to do anything more than produce a nap. Do you know how they'd treat such an OD in an ER? They'd let her sleep it off, though sleeping in the ER is very expensive as opposed to sleeping in your own bed at home.

The irony of benzo-phobe doctors is that they drive patients to alternative calming substances -- like alcohol, which is highly toxic and involved in the bulk of fatal ODs.
My mother was in distress and acted on impulse, don't get snarky about her with me, for f**ks sake, she's already on the brink of death at the moment because of upper respiratory issues.

I understand the difference between addiction and dependency. In a way, you have to become dependent on these drugs, so you're right, it is expected. But when I say addiction is common, I mean addiction. I work in a pharmacy that dispenses tons of narcotics and benzos and if you talked to my patients, you'd know what I mean. I've had conversations about it with the pharmacists I work with. I've spoken to several doctors/psychiatrists about it. Obviously people with addictive tendencies are going to be at a higher risk, but addiction is a big risk with benzos, which is why they are a schedule III drug.

I am not saying nobody should take benzos; they're extremely useful and do their job. There are also some issues that may arise with long-term use, but oftentimes the benefits do outweigh the risks. Just as a precaution, it's good to keep in mind that it is an addictive substance, just so you can monitor yourself and make sure you are taking them responsibly. That's all I'm trying to say.

I don't think yelling at patients or kicking them out for the "offense" of being a benzo-using patient is consistent with proper medical ethics.

Those doctors, supposed professionals, were acting like jackasses.
Yes, they were. They drove me out of their entire network. It's the same way with any controlled substance there. I had a NP tell me I was seeking narcotics just because I mentioned I was having joint pain. :roll I'm not one to yell at employees, but yeah, I flipped out on her. Needless to say I don't go there anymore.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.