Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

I'm feeling really down right now, I went to the supermarket (which I was really scared for but I had to go). When I walked out I fell (maybe because of the anxiety?) in front of a lot of people and hurt my ankle pretty bad. I was totally mortified and now i'm feeling so down and hating myself for making a such a fool of myself (and my ankle hurts really bad). I was wondering how do you let it go? How do you deal with embarrassing yourself and not have it haunt your mind for months? :(

·
Cooked.
9,263 Posts
I think most people would feel embarrassed in a situation like that. You have to realize that, aside from your ankle (maybe you should get it checked out?), it really isn't that serious. You most likely aren't going to see those people again.

The best way to 'get over it' would probably be to go back to the supermarket, do some shopping, realize it wasn't that big of a deal and getting on with your life.

If you sit around dwelling on that moment, you're going to dread ever going back and things will feel even worse.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Poor you! I hate doing anything like that front of people, i have terrible balance anyway. I tried to be a goth for a while and bought some extremely wide leg trousers. Anyway, I fell over them in front of a very busy train station. Now thats embarrassing, i fell over my own trouser bottoms! I now find it funny, but i could have died at the time.

It's always worse when your on your own too. At least you can "laugh it off". Remember those people will never see you again, don't worry too much and go and get it check out if it's still hurting.

·
Loner
200 Posts
Think about it rationally. Ask anyone who witnessed you fall if they've never tripped over before, and I doubt they could honestly answer yes. I have tripped many times and in more embarrassing scenarios as well. It's just one of those things, you trip, you fall, you get back up, and carry on. It's not worth dwelling on such a thing, as no one is thinking about it except you, and it is unproductive, nothing can change what's happened anyway. Just carry on and watch your footing to reduce the chance of it happening again.

That's how I handle that sort of thing anyway. I think rationally to overcome the irrational thoughts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Imagine if you saw someone else fall like you did.. would you think much about it? You'd probably forget that it even happened in 3 minutes! So just try to keep that in mind if you worry about what other people would think.

·
SAS Member
1,254 Posts
All the people that saw you fall already forgot about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've fallen in front of people before. I slipped on ice, picked myself back up, and then fell again haha There were two guys just staring at me during the whole fiasco. It was pretty embarrassing and I hurt my leg pretty badly, but after about a few days I wasn't bothered by it. Now I laugh whenever I think about it. Just don't let it get to you. You'll probably never see those people again and they've probably forgotten about you.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was with my mom one time and then I see this random women and tell her mom what do you think if this then she turns her face and has this weird look on her face next to her son and then I walk off and laugh lol

·
Registered
995 Posts
The best advice I have is to remind yourself that everyone else has almost certainly forgotten about it already. That being said, I'm never able to actually accept that when these sorts of things happen to me. I can sometimes feel mortified for ages no matter how much I tell myself that no one else remembers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts