Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It be alot easier to talk to doctors when discussing treatment and the disorder rather than have them think i'm a normal person who's just over-react in social situations.

Do i have to see a psychiatrist for this and is there like a certificate i receive or something like if someone was diagonosed with ADHD

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm from the US, so I can't speak to other countries' systems, but no, you do not get a certificate saying what you have. If you go to a psychiatrist, they can diagnose you and send your records to your primary doctor--but then, the psychiatrist would be able to prescribe for you. If you go to a psychologist or counselor, and they feel you have SA, you could ask them to write a letter to your doctor. Or you could just go to your doctor and explain your symptoms. If your doctor is any good, s/he will figure out that you have SA and prescribe appropriately. Really, I think SA *is* an overreaction. Most people are a little anxious in certain social situations. SA people are REALLY anxious in certain (or all) social situations. You're a normal person who also has an anxiety disorder. Just talk to your doctor--"I have really bad anxiety. It's the worst when [blank]. I feel [blank] and [blank]. I know I shouldn't get so anxious about [blank], but I can't help it. The anxiety is really bothering me, it's hard to [blank] and I don't do [blank] as much as I'd like to because of the anxiety."

So an SA diagnosis isn't like a medal you can wear. My doctor never even said "you have social anxiety." He just prescribed me meds after hearing me talk about my anxiety and asking me questions. I'm sure he wrote it in my chart, though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I took therapy before and I only went to 2 sessions before my therapist quit or I don't know.. It's really disappointing. But I can't remember exaclty what she diagnosed me with other than a mild form of depression. I recall her saying I had anxiety, but I'm not sure if she meant social anxiety because back then I didn't even know what it was so I don't know If I was really diagnosed with SA. I wish I was still taking therapy though..

·
killer of conversations
10,545 Posts
I wasn't "diagnosed" till fall of last year or so when I started seeing a psychologist regularly (I don't anymore). For me it was a more clear situation: I get anxious in social situations/thinking about them = social anxiety. In other words, I diagnosed myself.

·
Registered
794 Posts
In the UK, you go to your Doctor, talk about your problems, fears, explain you think you have SA. Then they'll ask you some questions and refer you to a Psychiatrist and put you on medication if they think it's necessary.

Healthcare here is all free, so I haven't paid for anything.

Plus, I don't know about where you are, but here I get £100 a week in benefits because I can't work due to my Social Anxiety. I can't even leave the house alone so these benefits really help.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I was officially diagnosed with SA back in May 2001 by a doctor who is board certified in both psychiatry & neurology. This was after roughly two hours of filling out tests and answering the most extensive line of questioning you could imagine. It was part of a SA clinical trial. They wanted to make certain one really had SA and that the symptoms could not possibly be better explained by any other disorder, so it was very through questioning by his attractive research assistant. She showed him the results and upon seeing my score that's truly stunning I'm sure it took him all of a second to decide I indeed have SA. Actually, I feared that I'd be rejected from the study as overqualified.

As it turns out, they take anyone with SA even if you're any extraordinary case like myself. Guess they can't be picky, since when you pay somebody nothing to make a bunch of visits during business hours that pretty much rules out most folks with jobs and its also kind of hard to pry those who serious SA out of the safe haven of their home. So it's take me and anybody else they're lucky enough to get or take nobody.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts