Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, newbie here. I'm 21 and a half and I've never had a job. I've applied for jobs before at malls, coffee shops and movie theaters two summers ago and never even got an interview. I've seen them hire high school kids over me. I sort of just gave up after that. Now I really need to get a job--I'd settle for any dumb job-- but I know it will be tougher to get one at my age with absolutely no experience and no confidence or social skills. I've made no attempts to look for a job this summer, I've barely even left my house. I've been feeling sooo depressed and frustrated and hopeless lately. I stopped taking a full course load at school after my first year and instead have been taking one or two bullsh*t classes at community college the past two years because, I figured, if I can't even get hired at a coffee shop or movie theater, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a real job with a lousy two-year degree. So what's the point of wasting my parents' money on school? My mom says I need to get any job just to boost my confidence and maybe give me some direction and more motivation to stay in school, which is totally true.

Has anybody here been able to get a job at my age with no previous experience?? What did you say if they asked you why you've never had a job before? I'd appreciate your advice.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You're 18+, which makes you valuable as a "closer" at various fast-food-type places. If they're hiring, all you really have to do is fill out the application correctly and you're golden :)

If your handwriting is bad, it might be better to get your mom to fill out the app... it worked for me, back in the day :)

As many of us here at SAS can attest, weak social skills can make coping with coworkers a challenge. But worry about that part later :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've recommended it before on here and I will say it again, give a temp agency a try. I am awful at finding jobs on my own, but I signed up with a temp agency and so far have worked with 3 different companies, which is good experience. Especially considering the jobs have been with good companies, such as ESPN and the one now, which is a major world wide company (don't want to say the name as I am currently working there).

I highly recommend it, especially if you aren't looking for anything specific. They really don't care about lack of experience, and care more about your skills (like if you know the basics of MS Word). You don't have to be an expert at all.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. I applied to alot of places and I would call the place back but they will say they will look over my application and get back with me. They never get back with me at all. I am tired of replying to the same job places. I never tried a temp agency before but I would give it a try. I did go to a temp agency one time though but they did not hire me because I did not have any job experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even volunteering is great experience and its an asset on your resume (you can also place it in the job section if you have no privious job experience).

Even small companies or coffee shops, etc. look for previous job experience, thats why its so hard to get your first job. It took me a VERY long time to get my first job and I was 17 by the time I got my first job.

I know fast food places hire pretty much anyone with no experience. They've always been lenient when it comes to that. Just working at a fast food place for a few months is good experience for your resume.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am nineteen, and I can't get a job either. I am just far too shy to get one. My friend called me up the other day and told me I could work at this pizza place because she wasn't working as many hours. I went there for two days and hated it. It makes me so uncomfortable. Plus, I won't get many days at all now, and it's a fairly independant operation so pay goes daily, and hours vary. I think I am just going to quit, because it's basically useless to me, and the coworkers make me far too uncomfortable and I'm afraid I can't handle it. Which leaves me stuck without a job again. It's pretty painful all in all. And I'm thinking I will try to get a job until school starts, and then I won't get one, so I probably won't have one next summer either. It's hard to say, but I know how it feels when nobody will hire you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, newbie here as well. Anyway, I feel what you're saying 100%. I'm 23 (24 in a couple months) and I've never had a job and it depresses me to no end. I want one so bad and I've applied to countless places but I never get called back either. But anyway, I'm a senior at a private college with a really good job placement and work/study program but I'm afraid of applying, having them ask for my resume, and me having to tell them that I have absolutely no work experience in anything and them look down on me or, godforbid, say something that will make me feel belittled. The oh so popular fear of rejection (and not to mention humiliation). My family thinks I'm just a lazy screw up and that I just don't want to work and want to be left alone in my room all day. I know for a fact they all talk behind my back about it. Boy, if they only knew what I go through each day. The emotional pain and anguish I inflict on myself everyday knowing and coping with the fact that I'm almost 24 and have hardly done anything with my life, haven't done things that most people my age have already done. GDamn this attrocious disease!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do some full-time volunteering first. If you don't have to get a job because you have a lot of expenses, but you want to get some practical job skills and learn something while you are it (along with job references for later!), it's a good idea.

It might mean you'd have to find someplace that would take a full-time volunteer but usually that is not a problem. I work for a non-profit farm that takes full-time volunteers, feeds them, houses them, gives them a stipend every month and teaches them a lot of good skills -- teaching skills, gardening skills, livestock skills, cooking skills, customer service skills, even office work (in fact, I'm looking for a volunteer right now to work in my own department, which is marketing).

You'd be amazed at what you can learn volunteering and you might even get paid a little, depending on the organization. Do some research and see what's out there. It can't hurt! :).

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel you guys' pain!
I'm 24 and have had jobs before but believe me, I don't feel like my resume is good enough. In the past yr I've also bounced around a lot and I don't know how employers will look at that...
I wish I had some education, some training in anything!

Maybe there's a place you can get hired where you already have a friend working there. I did that with my first job, part-time at Pizza Hut. It really helped having friends around.
Plus, it's easier to get a good referal from a friend!

·
Registered
233 Posts
See if your parents' friends know anyone who is hiring. Once you get a job, make every effort to interact with your coworkers so that if they're ever hiring, they'll remember what a friendly person and hard worker you were.

I got my first job two months ago. I told them I had no work experience because I'd been a full-time student. They sort of took a risk hiring me, but it's working out great. I know all my coworkers' names and I always smile and greet them in the hallways and do my best to make small talk and joke around with them. I offer them candy when they stop by my office and once in awhile I'll interrupt them to ask if there's anything I can help with (they HUGELY appreciate any extra help). Basically I do things I'm very uncomfortable with, try really hard to be a normal functioning person.. they're friendly, it makes the day go quicker and hopefully they'll remember me when I'm looking for a job in the future.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh also, having no experience doesn't necessarily mean you're limited to jobs dealing with the public. Some lower (but still good-paying) state government jobs don't require any experience and they always need more of these people. Go to your state's website and they should have government job listings.

·
Out of my mind.
94 Posts
heh the thing is you only want a job until you actually get one, and then its like oh my god, anxiety, co-workers, getting paid almost nothing, this sucks

only jobs ive had were the month and a half i worked at blockbuster, and all my coworkers were good looking girls and the manager was such an ******* and a little bit racist (was a big fat black guy)... that was a horrible work experience. One day i just called up and quit and never went back, but came away with like 500 bucks (ya it was just a part time job almost no hours)

then i got hired through my mom to work as a receptionist at thier real estate company, well they trained me for 2 weeks and then said they couldn't use me (because i wear my hair spiked and wore shorts to work one day...they never told me i couldn't do either) ... came away with a few hundred dollars for the training though ... answering phones all day and making appointments to show houses was far from a good job for somebody with SAD anyway.

Uhm ... my father signed me up to take a bunch of civil service tests and to make him happy ill take the tests... not something id actually want to do, but 40 grand a year would sure be nice (could finally move out of parents house or even if i stayed here i could save money for a house or something, since i have virtually no expenses)

you could always take civil service tests .... a lot of them don't even require college, except police and firemen

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well I'm 21 And i have never worked. Actually i did work for some time at my dad's shop but i didn't get paid. I sometimes got there. NOw I'm determine to get a job becasue I'm sick and tired of being at home and feeling depressed and financialy the family is not doing good so i don't wanna be asking money from my parents. I want to have job experince. With school getting closer from beginning I want to get a least a part-time job to pay for school expenses. So..I'll be looking for a job on campus were it could work around my schedule. Honestly i'm freaking out of getting a job but i need one badly right now. Anyways as you can see ur not alone on this job thing. I hope things get better with getting a job. Take Care

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a question ...

how on earth do you find volenteering jobs?

and aren't they usually dealing with groups of people and such? kind of bad if you have SA ...

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cait said:
how on earth do you find volenteering jobs?
I was wondering the same thing. Are there websites where you can enter your zip code or something and it can give you a listing of available volunteer work in your area?? The only place I can think of is the nursing home and they don't need volunteers at this time.

My parents asked some of the people they know if they can hook me up with a job, and of course they couldn't :sigh I know I have no business being picky but I would really prefer it if whatever job I can get doesn't involve working with a whole bunch of high school kids. It's a bit more embarassing for me to feel anxious around much younger people as opposed to people my age... However, I'd feel horribly anxious working around people my age as well. Gaaahhh...I guess it's true that I only want a job until I actually get one.
I think I'd prefer a telemarketing job to retail or waitresssing or food service or anything involving team work. I don't have much phone anxiety. Anyone done telemarketing before? How much work experience would they require?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Empty! I got one of those two year degrees.. In accounting. I got a load of interviews from companies. Well, 9 interviews, after sending out hundreds of resumes for 5 months, and now I have a job. (people are always looking for accountants, so there are a lot of places to apply.)

Anyway, community college and tech college degrees are cool b/c they try to gear you for the work place, when a 4 year school that will focus more on theory. I used that as one of my lines before to try to make me look more attractive than a 4 yearer.

Of course, honestly who are we kidding- a 4 year degree gets more merit generally (but you can fall upon my previous argument ot try to BS in the interview), however anyway, I am evidence that someoen with a 2 year degree can get a job (though to be honest I have a 4 year(psychology) AND a 2 year degree, although I answered many want-ads that say 'looking for two OR four year graduates, and I think one interview was with a company that wanted 4 yearer in accounting while i only had 2).

I am SO thankful I got that degree btw... It's relaly opened up a lot of opportunities for myself and made life easier. I'd say go for it.

Anyway to answer your question, when they asked me why I never got a job, I would tell them it was because noone would hire me before my 2 year degree, and that getting the dgree seemed the smartest thing to do, and that while I was in school, I was fortunate enough to have the financial support of my parents, who thought that focusing on my education was more important.

One last thing about having hope with companies that hire people without job experience.

I have had two employers specifically say during the interview they were looking for someoene fresh without job experience so they could train them to do the job their way. One said that someone with work experience would have to break their old habits and relearn their system, while the other guy told me he just didn't want to be "pushed around."

Of course the secret reason however is probably that they know someone without job experience will be CHEAP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When I first left school I had a problem getting a job as well. My age had alot to do with it, my first job I was 17 but as soon as I turned 18 they let me go. There excuse was there isnt enough work so I had to go then I saw them advertising for a 16 year old. Alot of employers like to hire juniors as they cost less in wages but they are also very unreliable and blow alot of shifts

Once you reach 18 you go onto a higher wage and then when you reach 21 you go onto the adult wage. I had a problem finding jobs for awhile but then I found one in a supermarket and lasted 9 years there.

Mind you once you reach your mid 40's and start looking for work then you get told that you are too over qualified or too old so you cant win. My dad was too old at 45 and he is very reliable, good worker and never missed a day of work in his life. He has alot of experience and no one wanted to employ him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I started working at 14 during summers...it was summer youth and they found places for you to work. i want to find a permanent job now. something with little contact with people...like not dealing with phones or customer service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts