Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
a boy like me
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed 2nd year at university and am now back at home potentially until September 7th. And because I now literally no-one back home (didn't make friends at school etc.) I do feel myself getting pretty down - hence me still up at this time of night. But I have never had a job. Back when I was 16/17 or whatever I literally had need for one - I didn't go out with friends to the town or to a cinema (nor did I really have any to do those things with!), and so would usually manage to make any Christmas/Birthday money last for the whole year, given that I would maybe just buy CDs occasionally. Things in terms of my sociality changed in 2nd year at uni, and pretty much then only since February(!) - and with having progressed with my SA I feel like I'm able to get a job. Previously, even if getting a job wasn't necessary for money reasons, the thought of working in a shop or whatever used to terrify me. I used to feel bad enough going into e.g. clothes shops, feeling that the assistants were just starting at me. The thought of actually working there, people recognising you, having to work on a till where people were watching you, having to interract with customers - the idea used to scare the sh*t out of me (and actually typing that out maybe it still kinda does :b). BUT I feel in a better place regards to my social anxiety, and with the necessitation of actually needing to earn some money/keep myself occupied over the summer, I'm pretty keen now to get a job. - But I just don't know what to put on my CV. I have no previous employers, no references/referees(?), I haven't hiked up Ben Nevis or done anything particularly "adventurous/outdoors-y". I mean, it feels like the only good thing I've done thus far with my life is get onto a degree at The University of Manchester! Does anyone have any advice with this? I really need to get a job over the summer, I can't keep being in some kind of perpetual "well it's too late now". edit: Just thinking now, there is a big Asda (supermarket) near me that is a bus ride away - but I am guessing they would be like everyone and want at least 1 'previous job'?

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I'd just go to certain places and ask for job applications. The part where it ask for previous job references just don't put anything. Somewhere on that application you need to make it a point that you've been a student at so and so university for so and so years. That will show that your motivated and hardworking. Definitely mention any accomplishments. Kind of put yourself in the employers shoes. What would you look for in an employee. If you have to, include a little cover letter and let them know how interested in the job you are and how hardworking you are. Show honesty in both your talents and your flaws. If you get an interview, be honest with them, tell them you've been so focused on school the past couple of years that you didn't really have time to get out into the working world but now your ready to start your expierence in that field. I don't know.

Also, for people references, you can always put down professors and teachers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts