Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All jobs these days need applicants to have prior experience before they'll even look at your app. I'm turning 20 and have never worked before. Is it too late to get a job in retail now without the experience? I know we all have to start at some point but is 20 too late to start since they need prior experience?

I have applied on numerous occasions and interviewed a few times but failed all of them. I guess I was awkward in the interviews which costed my chances.

When I see people I know with jobs, it makes me feel childish and dependent as I still have to use my parents' money. I don't have a car and still leaning to drive.

How can I address this issue?

·
I have to feed my dog
1,889 Posts
Start off in fast food like everyone else. Places like that are constantly hiring because people are constantly quitting. I got my first job at 20 at papa john's pizza.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For someone just starting out, go the fast-food route. Once you have "work" experience other employers will consider you.

If you are educated, and can't get a job in your field, try volunteering on the side in your chosen profession (if possible).

·
Quack
1,673 Posts
I got my first job at 20 in retail so no, it's not too late. Keep trying, maybe apply to other retail places you haven't considered. And like other posters mentioned, fast food is a great starting-off point. Any kind of experience counts!

·
Forever in Fantasy
560 Posts
i'm a manager and hire/fire quite frequently.

i'm pretty easy, but this is what i look for:
drives a car.
has a good attitude, smiles.
has confidence!

i get a lot of "yeah i've applied to 100s of places and it's like no one wants me.... i don't know what i'm gonna do..."
yeah i feel bad but i don't want to hire this either.

just say,
"i've been working for my father (make something up), i'm obsessed with keeping clean, and i work very well with people."

i know wal-mart and the likes give you ridiculous questionairres... answer as confidently and breifly as possible.

good luck:D

·
Koala Crisp
1,885 Posts
I know how you feel. I've not worked yet and I feel like crap when I see everyone I know, and people younger than me already working.

But it's definitely not too late. Just keep trying and something will come along.

·
Stuck
1,055 Posts
Join the club man, I'm the same age haven't had a job even though I have found a couple but sucked with the interviews, so I know exactly how you're feeling.

I thought you were me for a second lol, I'm also dependent on my parents for money and don't have a car i'm also just learning to drive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
thru connections, just anyone you know may know of, someone could be hiring or could use some help so just ask around and chances are u can figure out something.
otherwise like some others said just start small, entry level stuff like working at fast food, mall, groceries, even renovation and stocking if ur willing to do manual labor... that kinda thing. apply to bunch of places like that somethings bound to bite.

·
INTP
192 Posts
Have potential employers call me at 555-5578 and I will give you a great reference. For a small fee of course. :b

But seriously, unless you have family members or great connections, the standard advice is to start at the bottom of the field you want to get into and work your way up. Yeah, sucks I know.

Think of all the 40+year old career men/women you know and ask them if there are any openings at their work place.

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
i think i may amaze u..

All jobs these days need applicants to have prior experience before they'll even look at your app. I'm turning 20 and have never worked before. Is it too late to get a job in retail now without the experience? I know we all have to start at some point but is 20 too late to start since they need prior experience?

I have applied on numerous occasions and interviewed a few times but failed all of them. I guess I was awkward in the interviews which costed my chances.

When I see people I know with jobs, it makes me feel childish and dependent as I still have to use my parents' money. I don't have a car and still leaning to drive.

How can I address this issue?
I got my job when I was 18 had no experience..and eve didnt pass my last schooling year..i jst had appeared the exam and the next day I got my job.its 3 years since I m employed..and sometime it makes me feel proud that people of my age more educated still look for vacancies to come..
:teeth:teeth

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was almost 19 when I got my first job, and so are a lot of other people I know. It seems hard at first, but once you find that first one, you'll stop freaking out. Just be more confident in the interviews!

·
INFP
692 Posts
At 19, I got hired once at a fundraising calling center on campus(but it's terrible for SA and I quit within a month when I found out it was mandatory for me to attend this work party thing), At 20 I got hired at a restaurant but they fired me within 2 weeks because quote, "You're too shy". Now I'm 21 and a few weeks ago I got hired as a cashier at a drug/health food store! I had no experience to put down, but I listed volunteering I've done as my experience. I dressed more professionally than most of the kids I saw coming in, I somehow managed to pretend to be at least somewhat confident and bubbly, I focused on positive qualities about myself and was honest about my weaknesses but explained how I manage them now. I watched interview practice videos on youtube which prepared me a lot for any surprises. I got the job =) Just watching those videos on youtube will give you the confidence to perform better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm basically in the same boat man. I've had jobs but i didn't hold them for more than a couple weeks at a time, mostly because i was selling pot and was more concerned about partying but also due to my high level of anxiety. Now i've got a DUI and not a penny to my name. My advice would be to find your nearest temp agency and put your info in there. Don't be afraid to lie a little bit on the application either, they really don't check it and will end up giving you an absurdly easy job. That's the route im taking.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Fast food places, restaurants, usually hire quickly. I got my 1st real job at 21 with some job back ground because I registered for a Summer job program here in NYC and worked 2 summers in a row. My mom had a friend at work and that her place needed a busboy and I went in and was hired immediately.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts