Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some feedback on how people seem to lead with their heart instead with their head. I and i'm pretty sure most of us are used to thinking logically. I'm so wrapped up in my head sometimes that my heart stays buried in my chest cavity. I would like to have a balance between following with my head and heart.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
be like kirk, not spock

·
Banned
133 Posts
I've always interpretted that as "follow your instincts."
This is another way of saying it, and maintaining a balance between heart and head is definitely the right way to go, although it is definitely difficult to achieve. I know that I am following my heart when I go with my gut. When I am following my gut, I am simply following a feeling in me that either feels good or bad, and when I listen to it, things work out well. It doesn't seem to work every time and with every little decision (i.e. should I go to McDonald's or stay home for lunch?) but with very important decisions like getting married, or selling a mutual fund, my gut tells me what to do. When I listen to it, it does not go through the anlaytical process of all the pros and cons of what might happen in a given situation. Rather, it simply feels "right" or "wrong."

This is not a very commonly studied or observed thing in most people, although research on it does exist. There is lots of mumbo jumbo type of garbage out there on this subject too, especially on the Internet, so be careful of what you read. It may work much differently for you, but I thought that I would describe my experience with it so that you have an idea of how it works in other people. I'm hardly an expert either, so figuring out how to listen to your gut is probably going to be something you will need to learn on your own and ask for feedback from others. Good luck and be sure to ask me if you have questions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts