Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in my mid 30's now and look back at my life and feel so sick about all the wasted opportunties and experiences I missed because of my social anxiety. I was bullied in school and regret not standing up for myself. If I had simply punched them in the mouth it most likely would have stopped. I could have actually had friends and maybe a girlfriend if I had actually developed some social skills.

I just feel like my teens and early to mid 20's were wasted and I look back and would change everything. Im somewhat better with my social anxiety now then I was back the but I still struggle with it. But there are some things that you can really only do at a certain point in your life. Like play sports in high school or go to your high school prom. Those opportunites are gone forever.

I guess hindsight is always 20 / 20 as they say.

Anyway anyone else have this issue and how do you deal with it?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sure; I'm still in my twenties but I struggle with it as well. I began developing some symptoms of situational social anxiety when I was 16, and before that, I simply thought I was shy. Now that I think about it, I probably had anxiety for a lot longer. I feel like everyone though, not just people with anxiety, feel like they missed out on/didn't take advantage of their younger years. That's one of the hardest parts of being alive, is wishing you had done things differently. I hope that it doesn't drag you down too much. After all, you can still try to cope with your anxiety today and make the changes you want to see now. Easier said than done, of course.

I think the teen years are just horrible in general :rofl. I didn't do very many social things either and sometimes I feel bad about it. For example, it makes me pretty uncomfortable when I'm chatting with people and they ask me about prom. I have no idea why twenty-year-olds want to talk about prom, but believe me, it comes up in girls' conversations way more than it ought to. I didn't go, so I feel awkward and sort of embarrassed. But you know what? I try not to think about it too much, because if I lament all of the things I missed out on when I was a teen, then I will be so busy that I'll miss out on everything in my twenties, just as you will miss out on moments in your thirties.

It's definitely hard at times to not think about it, but it helps me to remember that everyone has something that they struggle with. Everyone, in some way, misses out on a certain aspect in life because of their own personal challenge. Some people can't walk, and I think about how much they "miss" out on. We all live a different version of life, and unfortunately we don't always get the opportunity to experience every part of it. However! It's great that your social anxiety is getting better, and if you keep focusing on that, then you can avoid missing out on your life now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm the same boat as you are....at age 18 I lost everything I earned; friends, job, freedom, life in general totally vanished...It hurts to look back really but what can I do? I still think you can bring those opportunities back in later life maybe even better than before...We don't age backwards so let go of what you missed and move on to a better life...Life is bigger than you think...cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts