Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on this. I am so socially awkward, I can make great friends online and I will organise to catch up with them and always end up cancelling because I worry too much that it will be awkward hanging out in real life - I never know what to say or wear or do and I cannot make a single decision for the life of me.
So I met someone through an old friend of mine a long time ago. We have always had each other on Facebook but only recently started talking. I finally gained the courage to hang out with him at the pub and we actually got along quite well - he is a really good talker thank god.
So he wants to hang out again next week and I agreed and am now panicking about it. Reason being, it is at his friends party, full of people I have never met in my life and I've never actually been to a party full of people I don't know. If I knew him a lot better I could just hang around him most of the night but I barely even know him, but the worst part is that it isn't even his party.

So WHAT SHOULD I DO??? Do I hang around him for a while, or does that seem a bit clingy and strange? (I don't think he realizes how uncomfortable I am with this idea). I said "Are you sure it's okay if I come along?" and he said "Why wouldn't it be?"..so I don't even know if the host is aware that i'm coming.

Help!!! :um

·
Registered
589 Posts
I might make up an excuse for not being able to go. Or I may use alcohol or klonopins to get me through. I don't know. I was never lucky enough to be invited to such an event. Parties. I think they are urban legends. I've never actually seen one for myself. Take a step back and count your blessings. At least you were invited by someone, even if not the host, in the first place. That means you are wanted. Keep this friend, but on the other hand don't bend over backwards for every one of their requests because you are afraid to say "no" to something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts