Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought the book The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. I am about half way through it at the moment, and I really like it. It is simple to read, has interesting stories and is at least in theory very simple to apply to my own life. Its just the effort that is difficult. So anyway, I am trying to improve myself on several levels. I have made a list of a few things I would like to change, and after thinking about it for several hours, I realized that each of these things stems from allowing myself to be consumed by boredom.

I would like to ask you people, what do you do to stave off boredom?

There are several things I like to do. I try to write, though I am not very good. I like to go rock climbing, but when I feel bored I don't have the motivation to do it very long. The thought that I will have nothing to do when I get home only makes it more difficult to enjoy. I spent a lot of time anticipating boredom instead of focusing on the thing that I am doing.

I have also taken up reading again (this happens on and off), but I cannot read for very long before I become antsy. I also have taken a liking to running, which I try to do every morning.

My problem at the moment is that I have enormous amounts of time on my hands. I work on film gigs, and things seem to have dried up, hopefully not for the whole winter.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can relieve myself of boredom? Either activities that you enjoy doing, or a way of reframing my thoughts so I can get more fulfillment out of the things I already do. I would like to write more and make it staple activity of mine.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Hmm tbh every time I'm really bored I tend to clean. I instantly feel better organising and cleaning. That's literally the only thing I can think of sorry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts