Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

So i am on the verge of looking for an apartment, and moving back out in the new year. My question is, how do you know an apartment has cockroaches/insects

Before, when i was out on my own, the building had a real cockroach problem, and that my one No No

Sometimes you can go in the apartment, check in the cupboards, and find dead ones if you check real hard. However sometimes they clean the place up real nice, and you cant tell

Anyone have any sure fire ways.

Also on a related note, what are good charachteristics to look in a roomate

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Hello

So i am on the verge of looking for an apartment, and moving back out in the new year. My question is, how do you know an apartment has cockroaches/insects

Before, when i was out on my own, the building had a real cockroach problem, and that my one No No

Sometimes you can go in the apartment, check in the cupboards, and find dead ones if you check real hard. However sometimes they clean the place up real nice, and you cant tell

Anyone have any sure fire ways.

Also on a related note, what are good charachteristics to look in a roomate
related to cockroaches??:teeth

But yeah check the kitchen cupboards...ask lots of questions..when was the last pest control spray??

·
Banned
974 Posts
Look for roach poop in cabinets and drawers. It looks like tiny black ink spots. Also check behind appliances for dead bugs. You can smell when a place has cockroaches. They stink horribly.

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
If the area happens to be heavily wooded, the apartment you're in is on the bottom floor, and if there's dripping water or puddles around the building itself, then most likely you'll have a cockroach or bug infestation problem. Try getting an apartment that's away from the thick woods, on the 2nd floor if you can.

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know how true this is, but i have been told that newer condos wont have cockroaches.....I am in a position to buy a Condo financially. but i feel like its such a big commitment.

I would much rather share one, or rent one.

One things for sure, no to cockroaches, cant stand them, dont want them this time around

·
Banned
974 Posts
Theres someone i knew that had a baby cockroach crawl inside his ear. He said he could hear it screaming and scratching. He had to go to the hospital to have it removed. They put some kind of drops in his ear, and the baby roach was screaming the whole while as it died slowly .:afr

If you have them already, they will hitch a ride in your stuff.

·
I don't even know.....
278 Posts
Tugwahquah:1059510569 said:
Theres someone i knew that had a baby cockroach crawl inside his ear. He said he could hear it screaming and scratching. He had to go to the hospital to have it removed. They put some kind of drops in his ear, and the baby roach was screaming the whole while as it died slowly .:afr

Oh my god, it was in his EAR? wtf! Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.Still, you know what they say- Ear today, gone tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

There is a video on youtube on this. They put a camera inside of his ear and you could see the cockroach.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
All good suggestions made so far.

Also, I like to check http://bedbugregistry.com/. Officially it's a bed bug-reporting site, but I've seen a lot of reviews that mention roaches, people smoking crack in stairwells, laundry theft, and other things you like to avoid.

If you are looking for a place downtown, PM me and I'll tell you a couple clean buildings.

Some newer condos do have insect problems, I believe, but if you're in a position to buy, I say go for it.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts

I am not going to sleep tonight. Thanks Tug! :eek:

Anyway, hire an exterminator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Usually cockroaches are found in the cabinets or drawers and sometimes on the counter tops. I have found cockroaches mostly in the kitchen and on counter tops at night. Spray at the cabinets and drawers and next day you will find these cockroaches lying on the floor.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
When my family moved to LA, our first apartment had cockroaches. To really check to see if any are around you leave out some food and turn off the lights. The buggers will come out once it is dark. Then turn on the lights real quickly and you will see them scurrying for cracks/crevices in the wall to hide. You can also get a cockroach motel and leave it out for a night. Female cockroaches are pregnant virtually all the time, so we always found eggs and baby cockroaches in the motels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey last night i found some cockroaches on granite counter tops running. I had left some bread pieces and turned off the light. When i came back and turned on the light there were some cockroaches near the bread piece but i could catch only one of them and they were quite big.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts