Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm possibly reconnecting with an old friend who is moving back to the area soon. I wont go in to details, but he wants me to work on something with him and I have sort of agreed.

I don't know if I still consider him to be a proper friend. I've known him through school, college, and uni for about 9 years. We were more friendly back in school but grew apart a bit during college and uni although have always maintained contact even since he moved away over a year ago for work.

I feel like despite my social failings he's always tried to stay in touch, which I appreciate. However I am also slightly resentful towards him for growing away from me socially during what turned out to be some of my most anxious and depressive years.

So, I'm not sure: Should I try to rebuild the friendship or not? Should I be pro-active about it or hope that working together brings us together socially? Any advice at all on rebuilding friendships that have grown distant over time?

·
Social SADcase
290 Posts
It's quite tough, if you considered him a good friend then I would say it's most definitely worth putting in as much effort as you can to try and rebuild it.

It's difficult as there's a chance you have both grown apart in attitudes and things, that's quite common around your age and it happened with one of my old best friends from school around the same time. It was a shame but we hadn't seen each other for a few years and when we did meet we were just so different.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll try as much as I can.

It's quite tough, if you considered him a good friend then I would say it's most definitely worth putting in as much effort as you can to try and rebuild it.

It's difficult as there's a chance you have both grown apart in attitudes and things, that's quite common around your age and it happened with one of my old best friends from school around the same time. It was a shame but we hadn't seen each other for a few years and when we did meet we were just so different.
Yeah I'm definitely worried that we'll struggle to connect. We have a lot of common interests though so I'm hoping that will help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts