Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first thing to understand is that IF YOU SUFFER FROM ANY FORM OF OCD, COGNITIVE THERAPY and BEHAVIORAL THERAPY, WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT HELP YOU!!!
Of course it can. Why it's helping me already and I haven't even been doing near as much as I should over the past while.

It may not cure people entirely, but then I doubt anything can.

Finally, I read about "NEURO-PLASTIC THERAPY" in a book. The idea was that thinking about obsessions makes them more powerful because they are essentially "broken neural circuits" which you reinforce. The fear-feeling does not cut-off when it should in response to a specific "warning thought". If you IGNORE the warning thought, and AVOID THE COMPULSION no matter how little you resist, the circuit will DIE. This is the fundamental rule of neurology: use it or lose it.
Well CBT tends to usually involve not thinking about obsessions as much as you used to. E.g. instead of actively trying not to think of something, which OCD books tend to see as counter-productive, you just accept the fact that you can't stop random thoughts coming into your head and decide that they're really not that important and don't mean much if they come to you.

To be honest... you really seem to be describing more or less a part of what CBT is.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts