Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather stupid.. but heres an example..

your miserable and your body language shows it.. a friend asks whats wrong? and due to having SA i think most of us will just say "nothing, don't worry" then the other person will say "fine, be like that!" or something.

How do i set up a situation so we are just talking 1 on 1 without it seeming like the other person is in a rush? I find it hard to concentrate on the conversation when the person has music playing in there pocket/texting on phone or looks busy.

Just a bit cut that when people ask "whats wrong" but there body language shows that they really don't want to know..... Then it gives us an impression of not wanting to know the other person :\

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
When I want to talk to a friend about something, I'll ask them if they want to grab a cup of coffee/tea at a quiet cafe because there's something I want to talk to them about. This sets them up to know you want to talk about something and there won't be a lot of distractions.

·
Banned
133 Posts
If somebody asks what is wrong, try telling them, "I am really worried about ____" If they blow off your worry as stupid or childish, then you know they are not someone to talk to about anxiety. If they listen and try to reassure you, then by all means, keep talking to them more and see how they handle things. If you feel comfortable and they keep listening, then you have found a great relationship! Some people, like Drew, may choose to ask the person to go and have a tea and have a talk there. For me, I get more concerned about people overhearing my conversation, so I don't like to go to cafes. I am more of a fitness/active buff, so I'll ask a friend if he wants to go for a walk, or the same for my fiance. Do whatever you feel is most comfortable, and asking someone to do this is a great way to confront your anxiety and assert your worth as a person!

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
so I'll ask a friend if he wants to go for a walk, or the same for my fiance. Do whatever you feel is most comfortable, and asking someone to do this is a great way to confront your anxiety and assert your worth as a person!
That's a great suggestion as well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts