Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AwesomeSauce
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently, I've decided to actually try talking to people, which is a big first step for me and also why I am on this forum actually haha

But I guess I was wondering about how to address my own social anxiety when I'm talking to someone? Is it even something that needs to be said?

Do I just be honest and say "I have social anxiety. I'm sorry if I did anything strange."
Or do I just try to not mention it and power through it?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
"Hi, I'm awkward!"

·
Registered
517 Posts
DONT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

As long as you are labeling yourself as anxious, you won't get better. A big thing that helped me was to stop believing that my life was controlled by this issue.

I also did try telling people about it and it never once worked.. they just didn't really understand.

·
ΓΤΖΜ
3,732 Posts
I'm grappling with the same problem myself at the moment.
Specifically if I should say anything to a girl I like in dance school who,
by the way, is an aspiring psychologist!

On the one hand, she may be more understanding and that may lead to me
opening up more. On the other hand, she may be weirded out; I know for a
fact that she's noticed how awkward I tend to be sometimes especially when
I'm alone with her!

Fellow SAS members, what should I do?

·
AwesomeSauce
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fellow SAS members, what should I do?
Well I asked my boyfriend his opinion on it, and he made a good point. While it's not good to use it as an excuse or a crutch, if you just want to be honest, then I don't think it's such a bad thing.

If that person you're telling is a good person, then they'll understand. They're not going to think its weird, and they'll hopefully have a better understanding of you.

In fact, I mentioned it to someone I was talking to last night, and she told me that she's had similar issues before! So I think we bonded a little over it :)

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
I tend to say that I'm really shy or anxious, rather than use the "social anxiety" label itself, since so many people don't really understand what it is or even know that it exists. Whereas lots more people at least basically understand shyness and "regular" anxiety. Granted, though they might understand/believe me at first, later on they usually express disbelief that I'm THAT shy...but that's their problem and not mine. If someone's unwilling to believe that you're really THAT shy/anxious, you shouldn't agonize over it...just hopefully move on to somebody who's more understanding. Should you ever get chatty and comfortable with somebody, maybe then you can mention the social anxiety, but no, I wouldn't just whip it out there in the first conversation, for the most part. :eek:ops

As for actual topics of conversation...sorry, I've got nothing! :stu

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sometimes its good to get it out in conversation and it helps alleviate the load, especially if you get the feeling that the people you're conversing with think you're weird.

I just say, "sorry, I've been under a lot of stress lately with everything, and its been hard for me to relax" usually after I say that, I relax.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I generally wouldn't mention it. Maybe say you're a little shy or quiet, but don't announce that you have SA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't outright say "Hey, I have an anxiety disorder!!!" but if the other person seems nice and you do something embarassing or start feeling super-self-conscious about how you're behaving saying "Heh, sorry, I'm just a bit shy/awkward/quiet, it's just the way I usually am" might help. Especially if you say it with a smile or try to approach it humorously. It might even seem endearing that you're aware of it and able to admit it and laugh about it. Also, it'll show the other person that you don't have a problem with them, that it's not like you're being quiet because you don't like them and don't want to talk to them.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Sometimes when a situation comes up, you could mention to the other person, "Oh no I get nervous very easily and don't feel like doing it. I have a bit of anxiety actually". I don't know anyone who has openly told me they had social anxiety unless the context was right.

For example, going to a social anxiety workshop at my school. Also when people share personal things about themselves, some of them have mentioned they have anxiety issues and people were very accepting of that and treated them the same way.

Just whenever the context of the conversation feels right, that's when you should mention it... or if you feel like bringing up the topic yourself, you can try to. A lot of people may not understand SA fully though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts