Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I don't know, I didn't think of it that way at all. What I'm saying is, we can't answer why. Not fully.

If we can't answer why we think the things we do, then isn't it safe to say they aren't necessary thoughts? If we can convince ourselves of that, then we will be much happier.
Good luck with that.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That's great. I'm not trying to explain myself to you specifically, just anyone who reads this. I know it's hard to make what I'm saying clear.

I'm specifically talking about unhappiness.

I don't even know what following your heart means to be honest. I mean, doing what you think is right, but in every situation?

If you were in a social situation and you wanted to introduce yourself to a group of people, do you follow your heart and do it?

Trying to be a good person, it usually means you want to look like a good person. Again, not about you. If you know the world is going to end and we're all going to die, whatever, what's the point of trying to be a good person? I don't think the happiness comes from being a good person. I think it's a form of false happiness which comes from the ego.

A lot of people don't realize that love only satisfies our ego. Anything that has to do with another's opinion of us is pure ego. The want 'be a good person' probably has to do with the ego. We want to think of ourselves as good people, but all it is is the way we think of ourselves. It doesn't necessarily mean anything in reality.

If you've seen the movie Groundhog Day this will be easy to talk about: In the movie Bill Murray relives the same day over and over. Thousands of times. The same day in the same town. He knows that nothing he does matters. He knows that people won't remember what he did the last day, but eventually he acts like a good person.

Why? He doesn't think better of himself for it... I mean, non of his actions have any effect on anything, but he does it anyway.

It's because if we live in the moment, the right thing, is often the most satisfying thing.

We if we don't care about the past of future, we will usually do what is good, because it feels good to do, regardless of our self judgments.

You can't be a good person, because you can't do any good. Nothing you do will ever matter. Sure, you can say, "Well it does ____, and I think that matters." Fine. It can matter to you. But it doesn't have an effect.

Judgments will never bring you true happiness. How could it? Deep down we have no judgments. All of our judgments come from our mind, and we are not our minds.

To judge yourself is a waste of time, just as judging anything else is.

But we don't have to judge. Once we realize that there is not only no reason for judgment, there's no justification for any of our judgments.

There's no reason for you to think you are a good or bad person. And by reason I mean, if you ask yourself why, you will not be able to come up with a concrete answer.

It's human cockiness, as someone once worded it, that we even assume we're going to have a future. We're cocky if we think we can be good or bad. If you are humble, you can see that it doesn't matter what you do or what people think of you. It changes your experience of life, but big deal. It doesn't have to control your emotions, because our emotions come from our perceptions.

Sorry, I'm gonna stop. I think truly understanding ourselves is important to figuring out how to be happy.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts