Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lenny Bruce used to say, "It's not how things should be, it's the way things are."

I interpret that as his way of telling us we have to let go of what we think should be, because it doesn't change the way things are.

I said in another post that we don't really know anything, and there were replies of people disagreeing. It's because I didn't really say what I meant... Yeah, I mean, we know some things. We know the sky is blue. We know if we drop something it will fall. We know a lot of things, but there's a lot of things that we think with no real justification.

For example:

How should things be?

I mean, we all have an idea of how to make basically any situation better than it is... but can we justify those thoughts?

Why should things be different than they are?

Why would that be better?

What is better, anyway?

We don't have to let go of how we think things should be, as Lenny Bruce implied; that's kind of depressing. We have to realize that there is no way that things should be. There's no such thing as "should," really.

I like to compare adults to kids, because I believe that animals and young children have a pretty good way of living, because they're not smart enough to create the problems that adults create for themselves constantly. They're not smart enough to consider how much better things would be if they were different.

Intelligence isn't a bad thing at all, but we misuse our intelligence to create unhappiness instead of making our experience on this earth more enjoyable.

Anyway, that's it for now. Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Okay, let me clear this up:

In the back of our heads, we all have a way we think things should be. It is the criteria for which all of our subconscious judgments are based on.

What I'm saying is, figure out how you think things should be, then ask yourself why you think that. Eventually you will realize we don't know how things should be. We don't know what's good or bad because we can't explain why.

Like I said in another thread, the big difference between kinds and adults is that kids don't think they know anything. Kids don't know anything, but they don't trick themselves into believing they know anything; they are humble. Adults don't know any more than kids, not about life, yet they think they know. Why do they think that? Well, over their life they've seen it from everyone around them; people thinking they know things, when really we are just as lost as any other species on this earth.

We all think we know what should be, but we don't. Kids don't fake it, and so they live properly.

I hope this makes sense, because it is important to understand. The more we think we know about what's good and bad, the more we judge. The more we judge, usually the more unhappy we are... and definitely the less we live in the moment.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I personally have never thought things were suppose to be a certain way. I think things could be a better way or things should be more of a way than less of a way depending on what it is but I've never been grounded on one particuliar way of anything really. That's just my opinion though, I'm sure others might think differently I suppose.

It's like that other saying "if you always do what you always did then you'll always get what you always got".

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if you think things could be better, why do you think that? Think about how you would change things if you could, then ask yourself why it would be better. If you can answer that question then continue to ask why, because you'll get to a point where you realize that you don't actually have an answer.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I was talking more about things in the world, not things about myself. Like I think the world would be a better place if people weren't so rude, ignorant, envious and self centered. I'm not going keep asking myself the question and answering because in the end, the world would most like be a better place if people weren't so rude, ignorant, envious and self centered.

Oh and, I guess I think the world should just be a certain way but it's not that way which is why I think it needs to better itself.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I'm saying is why would it be a better place if people weren't so rude etc? What exactly is "better" about that?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ What exactly are you trying to accomplish? It seems like you're just trying to start an argument.
I don't know, I didn't think of it that way at all. What I'm saying is, we can't answer why. Not fully.

If we can't answer why we think the things we do, then isn't it safe to say they aren't necessary thoughts? If we can convince ourselves of that, then we will be much happier.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I didn't take it that way. I know exactly what your trying to say. I thought of this exercise once, it's like a pattern. Whats the point of running out of answers to something that makes so much sense. I could simply just answer the question with a question. If people weren't rude, ignorant and self centered then what else would they have to make them that way?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't understand the last thing you said, but the reason this is helpful is wanting things to be different is the only reason we are unhappy with the present.

Nothing can be bad on it's own, only when you compare it something you think is better. But why that thing is better you can't explain, so it is really pointless of doing.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, let me clear this up:

In the back of our heads, we all have a way we think things should be. It is the criteria for which all of our subconscious judgments are based on.

What I'm saying is, figure out how you think things should be, then ask yourself why you think that. Eventually you will realize we don't know how things should be. We don't know what's good or bad because we can't explain why.

Like I said in another thread, the big difference between kinds and adults is that kids don't think they know anything. Kids don't know anything, but they don't trick themselves into believing they know anything; they are humble. Adults don't know any more than kids, not about life, yet they think they know. Why do they think that? Well, over their life they've seen it from everyone around them; people thinking they know things, when really we are just as lost as any other species on this earth.

We all think we know what should be, but we don't. Kids don't fake it, and so they live properly.

I hope this makes sense, because it is important to understand. The more we think we know about what's good and bad, the more we judge. The more we judge, usually the more unhappy we are... and definitely the less we live in the moment.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I got what you were saying from the start of the thread and like I said in many threads- "you are your own expierence". I really don't know how things are suppose to be. I live life having faith in my beliefs and values. It is what it is. I certainly don't want to sit around thinking that I don't know anything about anything. I'm just trying to get through the day man, is all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We all choose our illusion. Some illusions just happen to be more fulfilling (a better word might be distracting) than other illusions.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got what you were saying from the start of the thread and like I said in many threads- "you are your own expierence". I really don't know how things are suppose to be. I live life having faith in my beliefs and values. It is what it is. I certainly don't want to sit around thinking that I don't know anything about anything. I'm just trying to get through the day man, is all.
There's no sitting around involved. When you realize there's no reason that anything is better than anything else, and that we don't actually know what's best for ourselves it makes us ask why, but also why not. So it's all about not avoiding things because you think what they lead to is bad.

Remember I compared it to the way kids think. Just because kids don't think they know anything doesn't mean they don't do things, it's actually the opposite.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Kids think they do know everything though. Some of them are even little snots about it. Though I don't think kids care what other people think of them because they aren't aware that society will expect alot from them, they are just innocent minded and absent to sin. I wish I was a kid again just playing with legos and riding bikes off of steps. Those were the the good ol' days when fear of people didn't even exist.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Young kids are very open minded. There could be exceptions, but for the most part kids don't have any understandings about life. They don't think it is necessary to be popular, they don't think that there are expectations they must meet, etc.

I'm talking about young kids, the kind that people refer to as pure and innocent. When they are that young they don't really have any thoughts about what is best for them. All they know is that pain is bad, that's about it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, to get back to the title, kids don't think things "should" be anything, not until they're at a certain age. Like I said above, the only understanding they really have is about physical feelings. They think that things should not hurt, but that's really the only subconscious understanding they have about life.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I remember being in the third grade and being afraid to wear a dress to school because I thought everyone would make fun of me for dressing different from the others. Maybe an infant doesn't understand things about life but that's where our expierences begin. I don't know, maybe I'm not understanding it. I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, I'm just simply stating my opinion. I'm not saying your right or wrong.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, grade three is old. That's like 8 or 9 I think. I'm talking about like under 4 years. They can be happy with anything. It's just an intellect thing. The smarter you are usually the more things you think you are "missing out" on. What I'm saying is if we bring those things that we're missing out on to the surface, we realize there's no reason to want them in the first place. We don't know what's best. When we stop thinking about other things that could or should be, we can appreciate what is for what it is.

There's no reason for anything to be good or bad, it just is. And once again, this doesn't mean that we should all stop doing anything because there's no point, it means we shouldn't make a big deal out of things and just live, accepting that we really don't know what's for the best.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I'll be the first to admit that I really don't know what I want. I'm trying to find myself but as of right now I just work as means to survive. I'm not materialistic so it's not like I'm wanting anything that I can't take with me in the end. Just happiness, freedom, friends and family. Those are my priorities. Happiness to me isn't necessarily the material possessions in life that everybody seems to be working for. I don't make enough to qualify for possessions. They are useless to me. Other than that, I really don't know what I want and I really don't know much of anything but one thing I do know is that I'm a good person and as long as I follow my heart and do what I feel is right then happiness is already achieved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts