Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I finally broke down. I have to get out of the house and learn to at least function in this environment. My idea is, go out all weeks to small places after school and then on Friday go out to see a movie all by myself.

I don't have much of a problem to go with friends but, they are such a bunch of pieces of trash I don't want to think that the only way I can go out is with trash that feeds off my energy by putting me down.

I want to learn how to behave in the night time environment. Even though Is just going to see a movie, the thought of seen people from school, people with friends and overall the loudness makes me so anxious.

Any tips on how to go out alone at night? has anyone successfully done it?

·
Registered
485 Posts
That sounds like a great idea in my opinion. What I do actually is I go to movies by myself in the afternoon on weekdays so I can be pretty sure I won't see anyone I know.

My tip would be look like you have a purpose. Try not to walk around awkwardly or seem confused; act like you are going somewhere and know what you are doing. People will be less likely to notice you that way and you will seem to fit in more. At least I think, me being a recluse as well : P

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did the movie alone thing one Friday night. So awkward! If you can stomach it that's a great sign. I find it easier to do things a lot of solo people do, like shopping or sitting in a coffee shop buried in technology, or wandering a bookstore. I think movies weren't terrible once it starts, it's finding a single seat & waiting for it that sucks. Maybe slip in late? I think a bar scene would be the most intimidating activity.

If your friends suck I'd try to make new groups of friends, maybe pick up a sport or take a night class then eventually ditch anyone in life that's dragging you down. When I was younger I had frenemies too, good riddance! Now I have separate groups of friends instead of a core that all know each other. I'm trying hard to be less nice and get rid of anyone that stresses me.

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well so far this week I have:

Gone Out of the house every single day

I went to the Gym with a friend

Then I went to the Gym today all by myself and no music

Ordered some food at a crowded fast food place

With this said I honestly feel a lot more "social" if thats the word and I really want to start going out to things I'm interested on like entrepreneurship conventions and what not.

Anyways BABY STEPS! It was so nerve wrecking going to the gym all by myself without music! I truly felt as if everyone was watching me. But I told myself "is your mind bro get in that car and drive to the gym" and I did it!

I really want to go to the movies at night by myself but I still have doubts. I will have to go tomorrow but is going to be tough!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
One of my favorite things is to go out and eat by myself. I can just be alone with my own thoughts, eat some good food, and feel like I'm apart of the bigger picture, even if I am only a bystander. It's better than being hidden away behind four walls. Can't say I've ever gone to see a movie by myself, but a lot of people do that, so it's pretty normal. Just accept the fact when you leave the house that what you're doing is not unusual, in fact it's very average and normal, and I think you'll be able to stomach the whole venture a little easier.

·
Very Quiet
2,934 Posts
I went 2 times to movies by myself. I actually printed the tickets online so all I had to do was walk up to the guy who takes the ticket. After that its all dark anyway, I never felt like anyone stared.

·
Very Quiet
2,934 Posts
Oh and great job, had a busy week, bet you probably slept good. Good luck

·
Aimless
710 Posts
If you're really alone, then nobody cares that you're alone.

I go out by myself all the time, when I can afford it. Mostly I just go to bars and sit and drink in silence, thinking about stuff. There is some initial irrational angst that people will stare at me, but once I see that everyone's ignoring me, I relax and enjoy myself.

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went 2 times to movies by myself. I actually printed the tickets online so all I had to do was walk up to the guy who takes the ticket. After that its all dark anyway, I never felt like anyone stared.
thank you for the tip really! I forgot about printing them at home. I'm most likely going to do that too to eliminate awkwardness. I wish i had my ipod so bad! music makes things like these so much easier to stomach! too bad it broke

1 - 9 of 9 Posts