Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean sure,we can all manage to grab a few minutes of it.- But to lead a happy/contented life,for the most part,is that really possible? Are we just chasing after something that's an impossibility? When I see someone that nearly always seems happy-I wonder if they're dumb,naive or just a really great fake. What about you,do you know anyone who seems truely happy most of the time?? Or am I just the Queen of the cynics and the plague of the people??

·
aldehyde dehydrogenaser
7,405 Posts
I'm a bit jealous when it comes to happy people and their lack of worries. Still, I think you can be a happy person with a genetic predisposition to anxiety/depression, just that you need a heck of a lot more maintenance to maintain that a happy medium as opposed to people who don't have any problem with that stuff. Ugh, I don't suppose you can expect happiness if you naturally don't have it, it'd be like expecting to be skinny if you are naturally overweight.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It depends on what you call happiness? I think everyone has a different idea of what happiness is. Some people who appear to have found it, probably are not fulfilled in every aspect of their life. and people who are looking for it, probably have been looking in the wrong place.
I think happiness comes from self love, appreciation and compassion.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Everybody has worries. You just don't see them. I am happy and content most of the time. I live alone, have a decent job and people, for the most part, leave me alone. I go hiking and camping by myself. The friends I have know that I don't like to go out. My neighbors are friendly but keep to themselves. I don't worry about what other people think of me. It doesn't matter.

Unless you dress in some outlandish fashion or are actually doing something to attract attention, people will generally not notice you at all. You're just another obstacle to go around.

You don't "find" happiness. You have to make your own. Occasionally you get a pleasant surprise but for the most part, it's up to you how you live your life.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You don't "find" happiness. You have to make your own. Occasionally you get a pleasant surprise but for the most part, it's up to you how you live your life.
I agree. But I define 'finding happiness' as 'finding your own path to happiness', so in a way it is both finding and creating your own. :) Ive often had this debate with people for some reason, I find people will either say 'Find your happiness' or 'Create your own happiness', and I never understood the difference because I believe both.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Let me rephrase that. You can "find" happiness. You have to go out and look for it. It's not sitting there inside your computer.

·
Frostie
1,035 Posts
It depends on what makes you happy and how easily pleased you are. Some people are more readily able to accept lousy circumstances and still be happy (or maybe they're just delusional).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Start with small things...find a way to do simple things that you can enjoy, and then work your way up from there. Happiness is an activity, it is something you do on a daily basis, not something that just happens. I had a pretty bad experience with depression, and this was the way I worked my way out of it, little by little.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How happy do you have to be to be happy? I've discussed with my friends after nights on ecstasy and we all agree that there is just no way to sustain happiness like that. It's a hell of a drug.. ;)

The people I've seen who seem truly happy most of the time are what I would call ignorant. They were very religious, all attending the bible college over here, and they attributed pretty much every positive event in their daily life to blessings from their god. Heck, if I believed someone was giving me gifts and thinking about me all day long and bringing me good fortune, I'd be happy too!

Other than them, I honestly think every other person I've met who seemed completely happy and flaunted it were actually depressed about something on the inside. But I've never actually seen the social structure I hope to achieve, that of a tightly knit close family.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts