Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Over 100 - there's no end in sight.

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
bipolar
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a thing on the TV about the oldest man in Australia - he's 111 years and 124 days old.

Just as a side-note - he puts his longevity down to eating chicken brains. (he was a farmer)

·
bipolar
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I accidently hit the enter button before putting my last option in - which was "I'd rather not be here at all thanks."

·
Irretrievably Lost
2,868 Posts
People with depression and anxiety and few social relationships don't tend to live that long. I doubt I'll make it into my 70s. I just hope I die before I end up with dementia or something else that prevents me from taking care of myself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd rather die younger, like 60 or so, I don't want to live too much, don't see the point of that. Maybe if there is another life and I am reborn, I can have better chances at enjoying life in a more fulfilling way. In a life without social anxiety that is.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
I didn't take care of myself at all till my 30's and have a number of health problems than run in my family, so hard to say. Hopefully as long as possible if my quality of life doesn't go down too much when I get older.

·
Super Moderator
35,376 Posts
I don't know. I have already outlived my expectations from when I was younger. When I was 12, I told myself that I would not completely give up until I was 30. By the time I was 30, other stuff was going on. I wasn't doing well (in the grand scheme of things) but I was (barely) employed and was filling my days with things that did not leave me with much time to really think about things and kept me busy with the mundane thoughts of getting through each day as best I could.

But I probably would not have really predicted I'd live long enough to be here right now answering this question. I do not have a good track record for predicting my own future, obviously. My health is not good. My mental health is about as good as it ever was (which is to say not great but not as bad as it could be under the circumstances). My physical health (OTOH)? Really bad.

Ironically, I think I might have kind of finished my health off when I was employed. I was smoking heavily and eating as much junk food as I could fit in my mouth. Which included probably at least one frozen pizza every day. It wasn't actually showing because I was on my feet hustling around a busy restaurant for at least 10 hours a day. I was actually losing weight despite eating whatever I wanted.

By the time I quit that job, something was quite obviously not right with my body. I think the diabetes was already setting in but I just didn't realize it until a few years later. I didn't think I would have diabetes even though my mom had it because I thought if you were ever going to have it, you'd be diagnosed with it early in life.

I seem to be controlling the diabetes a bit better than I was lately but that is because I am eating mostly fat and protein and avoiding carbs. Which probably isn't really doing me much good. It just isn't showing up as "bad" on my glucose test.

·
bipolar
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know. I have already outlived my expectations from when I was younger. When I was 12, I told myself that I would not completely give up until I was 30. By the time I was 30, other stuff was going on. I wasn't doing well (in the grand scheme of things) but I was (barely) employed and was filling my days with things that did not leave me with much time to really think about things and kept me busy with the mundane thoughts of getting through each day as best I could.

But I probably would not have really predicted I'd live long enough to be here right now answering this question. I do not have a good track record for predicting my own future, obviously. My health is not good. My mental health is about as good as it ever was (which is to say not great but not as bad as it could be under the circumstances). My physical health (OTOH)? Really bad.

Ironically, I think I might have kind of finished my health off when I was employed. I was smoking heavily and eating as much junk food as I could fit in my mouth. Which included probably at least one frozen pizza every day. It wasn't actually showing because I was on my feet hustling around a busy restaurant for at least 10 hours a day. I was actually losing weight despite eating whatever I wanted.

By the time I quit that job, something was quite obviously not right with my body. I think the diabetes was already setting in but I just didn't realize it until a few years later. I didn't think I would have diabetes even though my mom had it because I thought if you were ever going to have it, you'd be diagnosed with it early in life.

I seem to be controlling the diabetes a bit better than I was lately but that is because I am eating mostly fat and protein and avoiding carbs. Which probably isn't really doing me much good. It just isn't showing up as "bad" on my glucose test.
My younger sister is diabetic too - I think she has about 5 needles a day or something. I couldn't believe it when she told me - I think she used to have 2 a day when she was young. She's 61 now and has had it since she was about 20 - all of a sudden she just got very skinny and was always thirsty. She's been very lucky with her health though otherwise.

I think she's getting one of those things they put on your arm that constantly inject insulin through the skin soon - sounds a bit uncomfortable but might be good I guess. It's not something I know a lot about though.

·
bipolar
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't take care of myself at all till my 30's and have a number of health problems than run in my family, so hard to say. Hopefully as long as possible if my quality of life doesn't go down too much when I get older.
That's how I feel too. It's funny but as I've gotten older I worry more about my wife tbh and her health. She gets really anxious about her health but she's actually been very lucky so far. I'll be pushing her to get various tests done again soon though - just to make sure.

I tend to have things checked quite a lot. My GP is very keen and wants me to have everything under the sun tested. She even wanted me to have a bone density test done - which even I'm a bit young to be worrying about yet.

·
bipolar
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
People with depression and anxiety and few social relationships don't tend to live that long. I doubt I'll make it into my 70s. I just hope I die before I end up with dementia or something else that prevents me from taking care of myself.
Hopefully things will improve a bit for you soon mate - even it's just in the social relationships department.

Yeah, dementia is a terrible disease - an old friend of mine is retired and looks after both of his parents who are in their 90's. They both have dementia in varying degrees - it's horrible. I'd rather be gone that live like that tbh.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
That's how I feel too. It's funny but as I've gotten older I worry more about my wife tbh and her health. She gets really anxious about her health but she's actually been very lucky so far. I'll be pushing her to get various tests done again soon though - just to make sure.

I tend to have things checked quite a lot. My GP is very keen and wants me to have everything under the sun tested. She even wanted me to have a bone density test done - which even I'm a bit young to be worrying about yet.
I'm trying to get my wife to quit smoking. I told her I need to be the one to die first.

I try to eat healthy and exercise. I'm bad about not going to the doctor though. I have really good insurance through my work now, but I didn't have insurance most of my adult life and just got used to never seeing a doctor. So I've never bothered getting one since having insurance.

·
bipolar
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying to get my wife to quit smoking. I told her I need to be the one to die first.

I try to eat healthy and exercise. I'm bad about not going to the doctor though. I have really good insurance through my work now, but I didn't have insurance most of my adult life and just got used to never seeing a doctor. So I've never bothered getting one since having insurance.
Yeah, hopefully she can stop smoking one day. I used to smoke too - and drink of course, and take a lot of pills. I'm amazed I can still think at all sometimes - but I've cleaned my act up a lot over the last 10 years or so.

It's weird but I actually like going to the doctor - I've seen so many of them for so long I'm used to it. I have a few GP's I see, depending on what it's for. I sort of have to go every 6 months at least anyway to have blood tests for the pills I take for bipolar so we check everything else then too.

An important one for guys as we get older is to have a PSA test done. (prostate) It consists of a blood test which is fine and then often a slightly less appealing physical test. That's usually done by a urologist though.

·
Super Moderator
35,376 Posts

What is important to understand about smoking is smokers who say they want to quit for their own good are fighting a part of themselves that will do anything to keep smoking. They can completely admit and agree that it's terrible for them and that they want to quit but not be able to do it.

Next, even if you do manage to get her to quit smoking, don't be surprised if she substitutes something else that is bad for her (like complulsive overeating). I was always bad about eating junk food but that habit exploded after I quit smoking because I was still trying to satisfy those cravings that were still there and not going away. Ever. In fact, I still have them to this day and I quit smoking in like 2007. Only now I associate them with intense hunger and so, eat to try and satisfy them. Smoking addiction actually does rewire a person's brain, I think and unfortunately, it's not always as simple as just quitting.

Whatever you do, don't blame her for not being able to quit. It's not as simple as the person not wanting to quit (although sometimes people don't want to AND couldn't quit even if they wanted to).

·
SUS Member
10,863 Posts
Why does it start at "70s"? Lol. I would be absolutely amazed if I lived that long.

I give myself 5 years, tops. So 50s.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
What is important to understand about smoking is smokers who say they want to quit for their own good are fighting a part of themselves that will do anything to keep smoking. They can completely admit and agree that it's terrible for them and that they want to quit but not be able to do it.

Next, even if you do manage to get her to quit smoking, don't be surprised if she substitutes something else that is bad for her (like complulsive overeating). I was always bad about eating junk food but that habit exploded after I quit smoking because I was still trying to satisfy those cravings that were still there and not going away. Ever. In fact, I still have them to this day and I quit smoking in like 2007. Only now I associate them with intense hunger and so, eat to try and satisfy them. Smoking addiction actually does rewire a person's brain, I think and unfortunately, it's not always as simple as just quitting.

Whatever you do, don't blame her for not being able to quit. It's not as simple as the person not wanting to quit (although sometimes people don't want to AND couldn't quit even if they wanted to).
Yeah, I quit the first time in 2011. Then started back in 2017 and quit again in 2018 not long after we got together. It's definitely not easy. She's wanted to quit since I did, just not been successful so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,967 Posts
This is one of the questions where I shudder in fear even thinking about. 😅

·
bipolar
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is one of the questions where I shudder in fear even thinking about. 😅
Yeah, it's not something I like to think about either tbh. For some reason I seem to think about it more as I get older - it might be because I'm more coherent nowadays since I stopped taking so many pills years ago. I was always so sedated back then I didn't have a chance to think about much at all. I'm not sure which is worse actually - being zonked off your face or having all this clarity and being anxious a lot of the time.

·
(.*?)
6,823 Posts
I'll probably be in good shape until dropping dead from a heart attack in my 70s due to not taking any preventative measures and being afraid to call an ambulance when it happens.

·
SAS Member
43,979 Posts
Assuming I don't go on hrt* or die from something besides natural causes, I'll probably live 10+ years less than my mum does because of my lifestyle and the physical effects that are caused by mental health issues.

(Cause you know testosterone shortens your life span. I doubt I will because I think it would be difficult to get hold of, and increasingly so but I can't see myself staying on it for longer than the time it takes my voice to change anyway cause you know I don't hate my appearance, I can't use it to change my skeleton or grow a dick, and I like my hair and the voice change is permanent anyway. Being physically stronger would be better too but I dunno. You have to get surgery if you stay on it too long anyway because complications occur otherwise and I don't really want that either.)

'lol at there's no end in sight' I actually would like to live a really long time (I mean like indefinitely sans aging much, not to like 102 that wouldn't help,) just cause:

and I'm hoping time will solve all my problems.

lol just noticed 'for a pessimistic' no that's noT tHe SoNg TiTlE

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Probably old age..... despite my diet and habits..... somehow I'll live that long

1 - 20 of 27 Posts