Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've never thought of it as a 'mental health' day, but it is definetely what I have whenever I call in sick. I am barely ever physically sick, but I call in sick on days when my SA is at its top. I really need those days alone at home to recharge and get rid of the daily tension. It keeps me sane as well.
My colleagues or bosses have no idea so I usually have to come up with the 'I have a cold/upset stomach/headache' excuse. (which is all true in my kind of way)

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I've never actually taken one. I tend to only take sickies when I'm physically sick. I get really nervous just ringing in when I've got a bad cold or something. I should use more sick days, when I'm mentally not up for it. I'd never admit that it was mental/emotional though... that's frowned upon.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've done this today...
I'm feeling awful and just cannot leave my room, let alone my house.
I just said I was ill.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm lucky in that I can email my boss. No "calling in" sick. I will usually just say "I'm not feeling well." Most of the time it's because I'm tired/didn't sleep well. Sometimes you just need a break. My boss understands this.

I get 13.5 sick days a year. I don't use all of them, but I want to :) We can also use the time for medical appointments.

·
B 2 Lonely
1,077 Posts
i try to sort myself out mentally on the way to work, or at the latest, in the parking lot. kicking trees, sprinting across the parking lot for no reason - the usual stuff. once i am inside the building, it's "better be sorted out and ready to work time" whether i am ready or not.

i am sitting at my work desk now typing this, but i was in the car a few minutes ago listening to some Gregorian chant to sort it out. did not work as well as i hoped but it was very pleasant music.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i try to sort myself out mentally on the way to work, or at the latest, in the parking lot. kicking trees, sprinting across the parking lot for no reason - the usual stuff. once i am inside the building, it's "better be sorted out and ready to work time" whether i am ready or not.

i am sitting at my work desk now typing this, but i was in the car a few minutes ago listening to some Gregorian chant to sort it out. did not work as well as i hoped but it was very pleasant music.
I usually bump a little Dr. Dre in the parking lot. It gets me psyched up.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
I feel like taking one today. The last two weeks have sucked at work. I don't know what is wrong with everyone.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Technically we're allowed 10 sick days a year. My first year on the job I took two and that was only because they messed up my requests for vacation to go to arrange my sister's bridal shower then her wedding. Second year it was something like 4, third year it was 10, this year it's been 12 so far. They haven't asked for any medical notes or anything yet.

I recently switched departments and I've found in this new department the job is SO much better and I don't need as many sick days. The stress is less. My sick days are about 60% of the time psychosomatic because I feel ill knowing I have to go to work, then as soon as I call in, I feel SO much better. So technically they're 'mental health' days.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I only get six sick days a year so I usually save them because I do tend to get sick at least once a year. I'm tempted several times a year to call in sick because of how I'm feeling mentally but I have yet to do it.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
My places has unlimited sick days which I use a lot. Was born premature and get sick half of the year (from low WBC count). Due to a bad cold/flu, I showed up just few hours last week and that was it. They even told me job well done last week despite attendance (Was able to fix a difficult problem from home that implacted many locations around the US.)

Go ahead and throw darts this way.

1,495 Posts
My boss is really nice to our team about mental health days. I haven't openly admitted needing to take one but she told me to take the day off and re-energise as I wasn't 'looking too good' I wasn't even visibly sick, just looked run down and she must've noticed. So far only taken one sick day, we get 10 per year.

I would never admit to feeling run down though. Guess there's the stigma of mental illness or that emotional crap which would embarass me. I wouldn't want that sort of rep.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've never thought of it as a 'mental health' day, but it is definetely what I have whenever I call in sick. I am barely ever physically sick, but I call in sick on days when my SA is at its top. I really need those days alone at home to recharge and get rid of the daily tension. It keeps me sane as well.
My colleagues or bosses have no idea so I usually have to come up with the 'I have a cold/upset stomach/headache' excuse. (which is all true in my kind of way)
Exactly the same here. It usually happens 3 or 4 times a year. I wake up and immediately know I won't be able to make it to the office. :sus

·
Registered
181 Posts
I take a mental health day at least once a month from work.
I had vacation time and sick time to use for them. I used a lot of my sick time for these days already. I haven't been physically ill for any of them. I am down to one sick day left until 12/31 and then as of 1/1 I will have another 6 days of sick time. I am holding off on using this last day as of right now...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Not too often. But my new boss actually looked back at my records for whatever reason and is forcing me to take a week off in a month because I've only taken 4 days off and called in sick twice since April 2010.

Best...boss...ever..

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
I am taking more mental health days. I took one today. I am totally stressed out. I have to much work to do. Also, the bipolar clients are flipping out. I have a couple that had to be sent to the lock up unit. Another one is hitting anyone he can get his hands on. Fall is a bad time for the bipolars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Everyday is a mental health day, therefore I've just gotten so use to that being the case, I just go to work and deal with it! I could sit at home and feel like crap, or, I can go to work and feel like crap! At least at work I'm not isolated in my house with an idle mind to drive me nuts! Plus, I have bills to pay and can't just skip out on work priorities if I feel down. Otherwise, I'm going to have a lot worse problems then mental ones... I'd rather not live under a bridge or in a van down by the river!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts