Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At college today, I was talking computers with a class mate, and he corrected me a couple of times on how I pronounce words. Such as the word "solder", I pronounce it with the l, while he pronounces it "sodder" Or the word origin which I pronounce or -a -gin, while he pronounces it or-i-gin.

The way he corrected me was a bit amusing, but at the same time I came to the conclusion of how social anxiety has had an impact on my speech. I don't often talk to others, so I am sure there are quite a few words I have read and pronounced in my mind incorrectly.

I'm curious if many of you have this same phenomena happen to you often?

·
Cut Above
1,827 Posts
I rarely mispronounce my words, I am kind of a stickler when it comes to pronounciation, but I am trying to learn japanese so my library of pronounciation has expanded and helped a lot in avoiding mistakes.

·
*sigh*
2,362 Posts
Sometimes I swap syllables around by accident (lapsus?). Bit embarrassing, but then english isn't my first language anyway.

·
alien love gardener
3,526 Posts
About once a day I guess. More often because of nerves than because I don't realise how to correctly pronounce things. I would guess that most people who are isolated still pronounce most things correctly because they would learn while watching television or movies.

Sometimes I swap syllables around by accident (lapsus?). Bit embarrassing, but then english isn't my first language anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism#Kniferism_and_forkerism
Hehe.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
More often than I would like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not often, but I usually try to use a different word if I'm unsure of how to pronounce something.

I read that "solder" is only pronounced "sodder" in North America.

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
I do this once in a while and it's so embarrassing - I did it in class recently. :blush Also, I got the meaning of a word wrong the other day. My dad told me about it and I was too lazy to look it up...and i've been wrong this whole time...HUMILIATING lol

It sucks because I have impeccable spelling and a large vocabulary, but I still manage to make myself sound like an idiot.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Not that often. If I do, it's usually a nervous stumble. There are definitely some words I first learned by reading that I tend to mispronounce in my head and sometimes accidentally mispronounce out loud, though. Labyrinth and inventory are a couple of them.

My friend insists on pronouncing album as if the 'b' were a 'v'. It's really strange. I don't know where that would have come from. I've never heard anyone else say it that way.

·
Banned
10,815 Posts
Apparently I've been saying Oxycontin instead of Oxytocin my entire life.

My dad likes to say he's "noun challenged." I feel the same way. I think I slightly mispronounce or mishear a lot of words.

·
Banned
10,815 Posts
Not that often. There are definitely some words I first learned by reading that I tend to mispronounce in my head and sometimes accidentally mispronounce out loud. Labyrinth and inventory are a couple of them.

My friend insists on pronouncing album as if the 'b' were a 'v'. It's really strange. I don't know where that would have come from. I've never heard anyone else say it that way.
In spanish, b and v are pronounced the same way. Maybe it's a dialect thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts