Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Well?

• I don't work, so it doesn't affect me.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • I've had to cut back on a few thing.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I've cut back a lot.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I was fired from my job.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Lost car

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Lost home

• Had to move back with my parents.

• I had a take a pay cut.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They cut my working hours.

• I can't find a job!

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • As long as my parent(s) have a job, I'm OK.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • What economic crisis?

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • The place I work has cut back on employees.

• I've had to get a second job.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They are making me work harder/more hours!

• (this option was intentionally left blank)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I haven't been affected by it, but I know people who have.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I try not to think about it.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check all that apply.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Other. I got to watch hundreds of thousands of dollars disappear. Do you know what it's like to day after day watch tens of thousands simply go up in smoke? Investing isn't fun. We've had two serious bear markets in the last decade and when the S&P 500 hit its low of 666 (yes, the number of the beast) earlier this year that brought us back to levels not seen since 12 years prior in 1997. One can only wonder if we're actually in a new bull market now of if this is just another bear market rally (there were five such rallies during the Great Depression & Japan's stock market is still sitting around 9,000 after peaking at 39,000 20 years ago and after having numerous huge rallies that simply faded away and led to new lows).

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
-what economic crisis?

I live in Japan, and my pay is set for this year and next year. They've increased English education requirements, so there'll be plenty of work in the next few years, and the value of the yen has shot up in the past year that I make an extra $1000 - 2000 on the exchange alone when I send my money back to Canada.

I am very much the exception when it comes to the economic crisis, but it's not like I've always had it like this. I was up to my ears in debt up to a couple of years ago, was unemployed for over a year, and had little future prospects. Oh, and I weighed 35 pounds more than I do now.

so, in the end, it kind of balances out for me. sort of.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
I kept my job at the same pay since I wasn't important enough to be included in the pay cuts

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Well my sister just lost her job, our state sales tax just went up, raises were suspended at my company and I desperately want to quit my job but I'm afraid if i do I won't be able to find another. So yeah, it's affected me.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
They cut my working hours. - I now only fill in for people who are absent. I'm still in college, so I'm not overly bothered by this at the moment. I'll have to see how things go. For now, I'm fine.

The place I work for has cut back on employees. - I know of at least one coworker that was laid off

·
Registered
202 Posts
Both my mom and step dad got laid off within the past few months. My brother also had a seizure the other day, without insurance(big bill).

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
So far I haven't been affected. I even received a $2100 one time payout bonus this year. Our agency gets a lot of our funding from medicaid so any money we don't use we either have to give back or use it. So the director decided a few years ago since they couldn't give us yearly raises they would give this to us. Our director has done a good job keeping us above water even during the years when Governor Engler cut our budget deeply. He hated community mental health. I don't know how much longer I will be working though. With the auto plants shutting downstate the tax revenue is dropping and this is affecting medicaid. The canary in the mine will be when our director resigns. He has told everyone this. I have been saving up most of my income just in case I lose my job. I have a little over $40,000 saved up. I would of have more, but I bought a house and paid the mortgage off in 2002. I also had to replace my vehicle. I can tell you I won't be homeless and starving. I am lucky my parents saved money for both me and my brother to go to school, so I have no student loans, I also have no other debt.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Economic crisis and fear of crime that could come with it (along with Obama scaring the hell out of gun owners) has made it basically impossible to find any ammunition. I can't blast away at a range with my .357 because it's all but impossible to even find .357 Mag ammo. In fact, it's virtually impossible to find any handgun caliber period. The other day I was looking online and the only centerfire handgun caliber they had in stock was .454 Casull. If you've never heard of it that's because it's an exceedingly powerful revolver caliber that's only used in hunting -- it makes a .44 Magnum look mild by comparison -- and I assume that's in stock only because it's not something one would buy for self-defense unless they expect they will need to defend against very large & angry grizzly bears.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Economic crisis and fear of crime that could come with it (along with Obama scaring the hell out of gun owners) has made it basically impossible to find any ammunition. I can't blast away at a range with my .357 because it's all but impossible to even find .357 Mag ammo. In fact, it's virtually impossible to find any handgun caliber period. The other day I was looking online and the only centerfire handgun caliber they had in stock was .454 Casull. If you've never heard of it that's because it's an exceedingly powerful revolver caliber that's only used in hunting -- it makes a .44 Magnum look mild by comparison -- and I assume that's in stock only because it's not something one would buy for self-defense unless they expect they will need to defend against very large & angry grizzly bears.
My father and mother just got their concealed gun permit, because my dad is worried there is going to be armed people robbing people on the way to town. I don't think that will happen, because everyone knows that a lot of people carry guns in their vehicles already. So they wouldn't want to chance it.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Food prices are so high now it's difficult to afford to buy enough to last the month, on the bright side I see weight loss in my future. :)

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
my father now works 1 day a week so im living with my parents to help them pay their mortgage. other than that, it hasnt affected me

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I found out today that I'm getting a 10% cut in my hours. That also equates to a 10% pay cut. I'm still expected to do the same amount of work.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Food prices are so high now it's difficult to afford to buy enough to last the month, on the bright side I see weight loss in my future. :)
Officially we're told there is deflation. Apparently they haven't been shopping lately.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I lost my job at the time a few months ago. I am a nanny. The mother lost her job due to the economy so in turn I lost mine. Thankfully I found another one in about 4 months.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
-I initially was forced to take a pay cut.
-Then I was laid off
-Now I can't find a job
-All hope of moving out of my parents house has been dashed

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
- My parents' work hours have been cut.
- My brother got a bonus.
- I haven't been directly affected because I don't work.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I'm doing better now than I was a year ago.

I have almost every material thing that I want to buy, so I've just been saving money. I'm taking a two week vacation to Europe next month.

I always do the opposite of everyone else though.

·
pitiful loser
1,154 Posts
My company has invisibly cut back on employees - they don't hire people to replace those that leave. It took months on end to get a new mechanical engineer, our firmware is now outsourced, and they keep looking at ways to cut my stuff out of projects, it seems. :-/ I am a little bit concerned.

Oddly, business is absolutely booming for us. We're in an industry that tends to gain in crisis and war times, but due to a number of mediocre years, we've been on the chopping block for a while. The holding company that owns us has been trying to sell us for a long time, but hasn't been able to.

Odder-still, I've been going on expensive extravagant vacations when I am able to find a time I am willing to take some time off. Earlier this month I went to Great Britain for a week on a whim, purchasing the ticket about 16 hours before I left. It was actually pretty nice and nowhere near as expensive as it would have been when GBP was so much higher against the dollar. 1.55-ish was pretty reasonable, really.

I have savings and try to enjoy myself when I can find the time. The main thing I've found is that it has severely negatively affected me when looking for cheap used cars - that portion of the economy is really fierce. You can't even talk people down, others offer more than they're asking. The vast majority is pure junk. It is incredible. I gave up, it was just too difficult.

If I were to wager a guess based on my experiences, there are very strong inflationary pressures at work in the tangible goods portion of the real economy and deflationary pressure/weakness in the imaginary/financial/services economy. Behemoth banks have huge paper losses of money that never existed, while people are unwilling to part with physical goods at any kind of reasonable price. Services are completely stagnant, if not declining - the glut of labor is having a deflationary effect in this particular area. I'm even seeing price drops in things that are heavily service-oriented, which means it is dropping more than the inflation is increasing the value of physical goods involved. It vaguely reminds me of when I was in a very wealthy third world country where labor was exceptionally cheap in comparison to the cost of goods. It caused some very strange effects...

The main effect on me is psychological. I am deathly afraid of losing my job, knowing I will probably not be able to find another. It also frightens me that it would be so easy to replace me if someone had the urge...

*sighs*

1 - 20 of 26 Posts