Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have felt happiness just a few times in my life, nothing resent. I mostly just feel alone.
I feel alone. It cheers me up when people are actually nice to me, even in a shop. It can make my day,I can be happy easily enough. Nasty people make me unhappy, and I seem to come across quite a few. Music usually does me good, as does comedy.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
2,218 Posts
I have moments of happiness...happiness comes and goes for everyone though, it isn't a state people stay in, even "normal" people.

I find a sort of inner contentment is more lasting. Finding peace in the simple things while appreciating the moments of happiness that may come but not holding onto them when they go.

·
(.*?)
6,957 Posts
The happiness unit, which is called util, is simply defined as the “just perceivable increment of subjective wellbeing (or happiness) over a just perceivable interval of time”. I'm averaging 13 util per day now. Thinking of selling some.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
When I think about this question, my feelings of my overall life tell me that I've never experienced any moment of happiness. Not genuine happiness anyway. Realistically, that might be wrong and I can say if I think deeply about it there are a few moments I can refer to - being with a good friend and having a moment watching a comedy movie in a theater where an extremely funny moment comes up and laughing so much it hurts. I can think of about 4 or 5 of those moments in my whole life, a grand total of 20 minutes altogether.

Getting hired after interviews. Since I stay at jobs a long time, another 4 or 5 moments, 10 minutes.

Lastly there are moments of talking to people I like where there is no time pressure or other responsibility, just talking enthusiastically, nothing stressful, conversations that contain some measure of hope in life. Altogether it can't be more than a total of a few hours of moments within that of happiness.

A few moments of accomplishment, creating and finishing something, by myself or with others. Those moments accumulate to about 5-6 hours total altogether.

I believe I have felt happy in life no more than 12 hours of my existence. I hope when I am on my deathbed and any part of my life flashes before me, those are the only memories I get presented with. But I think not, I think I will just experience more misery like "oh god, I think I'm having a heart attack, but there is nobody around and I'm going to die alone" and then nobody finds me until a few days later when the neighbors call police from the smell of my rotting corpse.

·
alien monk
8,875 Posts
I'll pretend I dont get any happiness sometimes but I have had a decent amount. sometimes related to relationship posibilities or realities I felt like a kid in a candy store. amd sometimes just hanging out with friends, idk even if I get bored or wonder what that was for, I feel healthier, like theres probably some happiness going on that I'm just conditioned to not realise or notice? if I'm lucky I'll be deliriously happy soon and I'm scared of that somewhat but I guess it's good, but also its dumb to be anticipating something that may not eventuate, but I get sucked into the idea of it, which also makes me happy since I have something to look forward to (finally).

·
SUS Member
11,085 Posts
Happiness is sort of hard to quantify. I spend most of my time intensely anxious and miserable. I have absolutely nothing positive to look forward to, so motivating myself to keep going from day to day can be extremely challenging. When I am able to sleep, I generally have nightmares, so the time I spend asleep is often much worse than the time I spend awake. But I do not experience anhedonia like some people, so I am still capable of experiencing pleasure from things like eating or watching a movie, and I still have my sense of humor and can laugh at jokes.

If I were to try to quantify how much pain I experience vs how much pleasure, I would say I probably experience about 100 units of pain for every 10 units of pleasure. I would [redacted], but I'm sort of stubbornly determined to hold out as long as I can. I think that's because I'm a contrarian.

·
lagrimas negras
1,803 Posts
I don't know. Things could be worse I guess. I'm usually stressing out about one thing or another but I'm still able to experience a bit of happiness.
These days is easier for me to laugh off all the BS noise going on in my head and relax/enjoy my alone time for at least a little while.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts