Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a cheapskate. I usually went to the library and didn't really own any books. Then I got a job and I suddenly become a complete spendthrift. I must've spent at least 50 dollars on books (which cost 50 cents each, but woah, look at what it adds up to) within three months, which is more than I've spent the previous three years combined.

In addition, I've also taken a liking to clothes-shopping... :um
I have not spent an insanely huge amount on clothes, but I have more clothes now than I ever had in my life (which is still not a lot).

Alas, the word SALE seems to be everywhere nowadays.

I'm on a guilt trip.

·
Magnanimous carcinoma
6,888 Posts
I just bought $200 worth of cds.. When it comes to music, I can't stop myself from buying. I've recently became a dvd addict, because I just bought myself my own dvd player.
I spend barely anything on clothes. I just bought a new wardrobe my freshman year of college, because I wore uniforms through high school and, literally, had no clothes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I spent a total of 32 dollars during the month of May. All of that has been on food and drink which are two things that keep me happy. :D

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
I just bought $200 worth of cds.. When it comes to music, I can't stop myself from buying.
Same here only it was $150. I've spent money buying cd's and lp's when I didn't have any food in the house to eat.. shows where my priorities are :lol At least now I'm hooked on bootlegs so I'm trading more than I'm spending :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I spend a fair amount of money on books, CDs and DVDs. For instance I had about 220 CDs last time I checked, all bought over the past 7 years.

But, I have no regrets.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
When I have money, I will spend some on things I don't really need, although I save most of it, which has helped me through this period of unemployment. But I haven't spent nearly as much on pointless junk over the past year, and I've been just as happy. Sort of shows how much better off we could be if we just stopped buying all of this junk.

Brian

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Er, they don't really make me happy. I'm just greedy when I have a little too much money. :hide

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just spent $160 on a pair of sneakers a couple fitted baseball caps. Oh, and add on the $150 i spent last week on books/dvds, and I'm one broke yet happy mofo.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For a rich kid (I admit it), I am pretty cheap. I pretty much hate spending money but am really used to having money to spend. I don't buy CD's very often, I don't buy DVD's, and I have enough clothes to last a while... uh... in fact I think I've spent more on food in the past few months than anything else.

More reasons I need a job :um

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I tend to order to many books and CD's from the clubs online, it starts adding up to ALOT then I tell myself im going to pay this off and that's that no more! but then new music comes out and I get another good deal and the cycle starts over again. I love music and reading so it's hard to tell myself that I don't deserve to get these things. I tend to blame it on the Club for being so stupid as to keep sending me mail saying We Want You back :stu after usually not even paying off my bills.
What the heck you only life once.

Also spend to much on perfume, you would think I'd have a job wouldn't you but I don't.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
It varies and depends on how badly I want something. I can spend $10-15 on a CD every now and then, or I can go overboard modifying my vehicles, which is something I'm passionate about. My most expensive venture would be my '84 Ford pickup which I completely restored and modified from the ground up. I spent over $12,000 in a little over three years on it in the restoration alone building it exactly the way I wanted but I have alot of fun driving it. That truck spends most of its time under a cover and in the shed since I'm too anal to drive it most of the time :hide It's strictly a toy that I only drive occasionaly.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I favor quality over quantity--I tend to accumulate a pile of cash, then spend it on something really nice.

My next splurge is gonna be on all-new furniture (the stuff I have is very old and worn out), and after that, a home theater system + HDTV. That'll make me very happy indeed: I'll finally be able to have guests :)

I've almost finished paying off my car, so financing an $8,000 HDTV is feasable...

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Don't spend much, thats for sure. I spend roughly 10-20 dollars usually on something, unless its a dvd. I'm too cheap to splurge most of the time.
Since i turned 18, i have a nice pile of money sitting in my bedroom that i'll probably utilize on some "exquisite delicacies"; dvd's and books mostly, i'm also thinking about a digital camera of my own, too.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Kardax said:
I favor quality over quantity--I tend to accumulate a pile of cash, then spend it on something really nice.

My next splurge is gonna be on all-new furniture (the stuff I have is very old and worn out), and after that, a home theater system + HDTV. That'll make me very happy indeed: I'll finally be able to have guests :)

I've almost finished paying off my car, so financing an $8,000 HDTV is feasable...

-Ryan
I need to buy a new couch. The couch I have was my moms she bought in 1988. The springs are going in it and it is a floral design. I want a big reclining sofa.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been spending very little lately. I like to go to Cheapo and buy random CD's from their used "just arrived" bin -although I can't say it makes me happy. It just gives me something to listen to while I am busy being sad.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I am constantly fighting myself over money. My natural inclination is to take all the money I have and bury it in the backyard and never dig it up again. Of course there was a time when I didn't have ANY money and was going paycheck to paycheck, but things are better now so there's no logical reason to be so tight.

In order to get myself to spend money I have to keep reminding myself "this is a quality of life issue". In other words, there are times when spending money makes my life more enjoyable. Repeating the "quality of life" phrase to myself makes it easier to spend the money, and I feel less guilty about spending it, afterwards.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts