Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting, as of today, to drink to calm me down for presentations and classes (along with St. Johns Wort). My question is how much do I need to calm me down for 4 hours? Have to keep in mind that I will be driving

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I don't like your idea at all.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not a good idea.

Try;

Kava Kava
Inositol
Melatonin
Glutamine
Taurine
Green Tea decaf (it has L-Theanine for super calm effect)
Gingseng

There are many supplements you could take to calm down and it's much healthier.

If you were to drink, then 1 shot. Or try sipping on some wine. But it's not going to last you 4 hours and this is not a recommended solution whatsoever to be repeated on a continuing basis.

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you don't understand...i've had this for so long and i'm just sick and tired of it,i'm afraid i'll fail half my classes just because of it, and its stressing me out causing even more problems...i got st johns wort yesterday and it hasn't made a difference...I need a quick fix till i find a good solution in the long term...i was thinking 1 shot before i leave, and 1 shot in the parking lot would be good for a 2-3 hour class (takes about 30 minutes to get to school).

green tea decaf???any brand or anything i should be looking for impaticular...

fyi..yesterday i had to introduce someone in front of the class, and i was nervous and had a shaky voice..i felt worse for the person that i was introducing than myself...i can't go on like this.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Your probly better off getting a script for a benzodiazapine like valium or xanax if you can, rather than using alcohol, I don't think I'd survive at universtiy without my benzo.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Any green tea will do. Even caffeinated. But from what you say it won't be enough.

Combine all the things I recommended except for kava (you'll want to try that by itself). Those things together will most definitely have a chillaxing effect.

If that's not enough then you can start by

·
Registered
544 Posts
There's not really much you can do, I've been there myself. Only thing I can say that will help confidence is to revise your presentation, and plan how you are going to do it and practice it. Being prepared and knowing what you are going to do can really help things in terms of performance anxiety. Relying on alcohol could make things dramatically worse, such as cognitive impairment and also slurring. Do you really want to get up in front of your class smelling of alcohol and being drunk?

Trust me, relying on alcohol for relief can cause bad problems down the road later in life; this is how some people end up being alcoholics.

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i wish i could..company i work for doesn't offer health insurance, and i don't qualify for state programs....i paid for a dr out of my own pocket and he said hes hesistant to perscribe anything without getting bloodwork done and speaking to a psychiatrist or psychologist. i just can't afford all of that...drinking and herbs (possibly decaf tea) seem to be the last resorts.

I've even stopped drinking caffine, but its barely helped.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You might try a standardized Valerian extract in combination with L-Theanine (the calming susbtance from green tea). Those should work synergistic and can be bought at supplement shops therefore you could get them fast. But please forget about (ab)using alcohol + driving while intoxicated with alcohol. Test out the herb combo at home before you give the presentation so you can see how you react. Should the anxiolytic effect be too weak you can add L-Glutamine and hope for further GABAergic synergism.

PS: Keep in mind that also "just herbs / supplements" could negatively influence your ability to drive a car.

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'll give all of those a shot. thanks Medline and Beaches

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Ask your doc for inderal with xanax (this might be hard). Don't use it more than 2 times a week though, just as needed. Ordering benzos online is peanuts. Every 13 old ccan do it.

By the way I tried those huge Monster energy drinks today with carnitine and lots of other ingredients and that was good. It gave me more confidence wow. This is not what your looking for I think.

Those supps above will most likely not help that much. Well kava kava (not tried it myself) and taurine in large doses (i'm talking about grams) will calm you down.

Personally I have spent so much money on supplements that I quit them. They don't give that relief that I really need.

BTW this is not a post of me but It could help you:

This post is a huge mess but so is my brain.

GL
I have nothing really to add to the topic, just wanted to let you know that this "This post is a huge mess but so is my brain." was really funny, to me.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Drinking & driving. For some reason that sounds like a very bad idea. Don't do it.

I use alcohol to calm down when needed. For a couple months I drank virtually nothing as I felt no need for it. I've been drinking more lately. Though I drink at home and don't drink if I'm going to need to drive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've tried drinking, and all those herbal pills (valerian root, l-theanine, st johns wort, kava etc). The pills don't work, I think they're just placebos and the alcohol won't calm you down unless you get drunk.

Just try going to a different doctor? All you have to do is tell him you're stressed out and get anxiety when giving presentations and he should give you something. I went looking to get Inderal and he ended up prescribing me Xanax. I haven't tried it yet cus I don't have any presentations but I'm thinking it's going to help alot.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I've tried drinking, and all those herbal pills (valerian root, l-theanine, st johns wort, kava etc). The pills don't work, I think they're just placebos and the alcohol won't calm you down unless you get drunk.

Just try going to a different doctor? All you have to do is tell him you're stressed out and get anxiety when giving presentations and he should give you something. I went looking to get Inderal and he ended up prescribing me Xanax. I haven't tried it yet cus I don't have any presentations but I'm thinking it's going to help alot.
I agree that Inderal + Xanax is a very potent combo for situational anxiety and they are for sure stronger than herbs, but I wouldn't say "all those herbal pills are just placebos". St. John's Wort for example has proven in many randomized, controlled, double-blind trials to be an effective antidepressant. Also the other listed herbs have proven efficiency in studies, altough the data is not as extensive / conclusive as for St. John's Wort.

·
Life sucks
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think energy drinks are going to help, if anything make matters worse with everything in it.

I'd love to have xanax...If I could get my hands on it. How can I get them online without a prescription? :>

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
Very bad habit,you are developing.

·
4,175 Posts
If I were you I would take a shot of vodka before driving and a shot right before class starts. Actually, no, I would get my doctor to prescribe me one mg of klonopin.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you want something for performance-scenarios/presentations, Beta Blockers (Propronolol / Inderal) is what everyone uses. EXTREMELY easy to get from your doctor, just tell them the truth, you want beta blockers for presentations and they'll give it to you (its one of the most common prescriped drugs in the US, and more people than you'd believe take them, I guarantee you some students in your classes even take them for presentations -- of course you'd never know that, though).

It eliminates 100% of all physical symptoms, no shaky voice, no heart racing, no trembling. You may still freak out in your mind, but what i've learned is that my mental anxiety is still there, but you have to force yourself to get up in front of the class. Whats weird, though, is even though you're freaking out in your head, your body isn't responding (after taking BB's).

You'll start presenting...and...wow, no shaky voice, heart isn't racing, no trembling, no physical anything. Give it a minute or two into the presentation and you'll start tricking your mind into thinking nothings wrong, either. (subconciously you'll be thinking 'look...im not anxious! and im presenting! sweeeeet!'), and the mental anxiety will disappear also.

Before you know it you'll be a pro :D

And its only $5.00 for 60 10mg pills (I usually take 2-3 max 1 1/2 - 2hrs before and that'll do it). You only take it on an as-needed basis.

So, $5.00 for prescription pills? Dude, forget St Johns wort, for a measely 5 bucks you can get prescription-grade stuff used since the 1960's guaranteed to eliminate performance anxiety, not no wishy-washy 'wonder if it'll work' herbal stuff.

I couldn't believe it was that cheap, and soooooo easy to get.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Trust me, relying on alcohol for relief can cause bad problems down the road later in life; this is how some people end up being alcoholics.
Seconding this.

Have you considered having a talk with your doctor about your anxiety symptoms and considering trying out Beta Blockers? They are supposed to be good for things such as performance anxiety/stage fright. I tried them for a while. They didn't personally help me as much as I hoped - but I did find they helped to some extent. And for alot of people they do work really well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts