Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Song and action man
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you remember. How many times did you have to take the road test?

I failed it the first time for rolling some stop signs. Mind you it was on a closed course.

passed the second time. but I was nervous

·
Super Moderator
36,710 Posts
Well, when I initially got my license at 16, the hardest part was the waiting. I think I'd gotten my learner's permit at 15 and went through driver's ed (I don't remember if it was required or not). That particular course had instructors who would come to pick you up at home and you'd drive around and they'd teach you everything that was going to be on the driving test.

The one I got was fantastic and she took me through the exact route the test would be on and went over the parallel parking thing until I had it down perfect (She had a certain trick for knowing exactly when to turn the wheel which you just couldn't go wrong if you did it that way).

By the time I took the road test, it was a breeze and I give that lady all the credit.

Recently, I let my license expire for several years due to epilepsy. Finally decided to get a letter from a doctor and get the license back. The whole road test thing was far more awkward the second time around than I remembered it but at least they didn't make me parallel park. They were supposed to but for some reason, didn't.

·
Barbells and kittens
4,219 Posts
I passed the first time and got my driver's license at 16. I was taught very young and didn't have any problems at all.

When I got my commercial license in 2017 I failed the first time. Parallel parking a semi is pretty difficult and that's the part I failed on. Practiced a few more weeks at the community college and tried a second time and passed.

·
Registered
Just waiting for what's next
218 Posts
I passed everything on the first try when I was 16 hell I think I was 15 either way I passed my first try 💯.

·
(.*?)
6,940 Posts
Twice (both just before my 20th birthday). Didn't look to the side enough the first time, probably because the evaluator was sitting there. She said I didn't see a bicyclist.

Didn't know they do driving tests on closed courses some places. Seems like that wouldn't be able to test for things like how I failed. Mine was on the public roads.

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Passed on my first try barely. I think I was 16. I was one of the first of my peers to get a license, but the very last to get a car. I remember going up to 50mph in a 25mph zone because it was downhill and I wasn't pay attention. I thought that was an instant fail, but I was only docked -1 point for it. I was surprised I didn't have to reverse in a straight line or parallel park like I feared.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Just one for me, although I was 18 by the time I tried because we lived overseas until then and didn't even have a car. The only part of driving that always stumped me was when my parents tried to get me to practice with their old '79 Super Beetle with a stick shift; I never could get the hang of manual transmission. Other than that it was really smooth.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
3 (UK) and 1 (USA). First I was failed for being too fast. Second, too slow. Got it right for the third. The American one was way easier (or maybe it was because I'd just gotten more experience driving by then).

Reactions: Dan the man

·
See? No more pain
4,322 Posts
Three times. First time I misjudged distance and cut someone off. Second time I had a perfect start, but when we got to driving around other cars I was really bad at maintaining lanes, and what would've been a near perfect score became a zero. Third time I passed convincingly, despite being very nervous and prepared to fail again.

Reactions: Dan the man

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I barely passed with a 70 cause of the parallel parking so it took only one try for me when I was 16. The woman that was teaching me made me uncomfortable cause she yelled at me like twice so it brought up some bad memories when she yelled. :cautious: She told me I needed to work on my parking. At least I passed my first time doing it.

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,172 Posts
First time I didn’t even get out of the parking lot. I was so nervous.
It's cool that you didn't get discouraged and kept going back until you finally passed. If it were me I probably would have just given up if I didn't pass on the 2nd attempt.

·
Irretrievably Lost
3,172 Posts
I passed on the first attempt. I remember being a little bit nervous at first but the guy administering the test didn't make me parallel park or anything so that made me feel a bit more comfortable and confident. He literally just made me drive in a circle around the block. Four rights turns, that was it. Then I parked on the street in front of the testing place. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
17,770 Posts
I didn't have any trouble getting my licence - but it was about a thousand years ago and I did it with a driving school that I suspect had some sort of arrangement with the testing place. I also did the test in an automatic Corolla which even back then almost drove itself.

My son took a few tries - I think the ladies were just being a bit mean, because his mates told him to go to a different place and he got it straight away. That was a relief because I hated seeing him upset about it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts