Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Failure's Art
2,203 Posts
I wouldn't say my family was "crappy" but my dad was very strict and believed in archaic notions of family hierarchy which of course meant he was the sole source of authority for the family as a whole. This caused a lot of conflict when I became a teenager and we didn't get along so well. This did contribute to my SA I think, but I wouldn't say it was the root cause or anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had some bad genetics. Mental health issues on my moms side of the family. Alcoholics on my dads side. Does not make for a good genetic combination! On top of that I grew up in a toxic household. Parents fought all the time.

So for me it was a bad combo of genetics and not the best of parenting to say the least
same here.. although my dad had his alcohol under control once I was born and did take care of us. my mom's mental illness got worse as I older but now looking back it was always there. she was also a hoarder which got worse and probably played a part although I know she didn't know it at the time. In her mind one day I'll be able to use all this stuff. so my childhood was good, I guess lower middle-class. we had alot of cats (all fed and went to the vet when needed), which was nice because I feel it made me the animal lover I am today. I had some friends.

what went wrong... I don't know seems once middle school hit, being shy and quiet I got picked on. I just never fit in from that point on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't know if my family was crappy or not but we had our fair share of issues like any other family I'm sure. My dad discourage any kind of talking about feeling and didn't believe mental illness was real. For my two brothers things were fine but for me like was hell. My family didn't understand that I was different so I was pretty mistreated. No one ever did anything to intentionally hurt me they would just lash out out of frustration when ever they had to interact with me. Eventually everyone in my family just stopped interacting with me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I don't know if my family was crappy or not but we had our fair share of issues like any other family I'm sure. My dad discourage any kind of talking about feeling and didn't believe mental illness was real. For my two brothers things were fine but for me like was hell. My family didn't understand that I was different so I was pretty mistreated. No one ever did anything to intentionally hurt me they would just lash out out of frustration when ever they had to interact with me. Eventually everyone in my family just stopped interacting with me.
That sux Steelfox

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Maybe not crappy but there was definitely emotional neglect and bullying. My parents didn’t really care or listen. A lot of hostility and ignorance which ultimately turned me off of people and socializing.
Sorry you grew up in that situation.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts