Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about it? I am currently 24 won't turn 25 until 8 more months but I still am at home. I have not found a stable job since college graduation almost 2 years ago all I have is a summer job I have worked since college. Thankfully it is a lot of hours and allowed me to pay all my school myself and I didn't owe one cent to anyone after I was done. Its good money for the time it is but I would be considered in poverty based on my earnings. Which is why I am looking for something year round that uses my degree or at least something that pays ok.

But to answer my question I don't like the current circumstances in how I live at home but I also don't have plans of moving out at least not anytime soon. I help out by running errands doing chores my laundry and paying for some of the groceries. But my parents help me with my car insurance my health my add a line phone buy a lot of the groceries and I don't get charged rent. I offer to try to give them money but I get turned down most of the time. So I do what I can trying to pick up as much of the grocery bill as possible. I just feel a little sense of humiliation that I can't pay for a lot of my stuff. I told them that the agreement is once I find a regular job I will start to pay for my car insurance phone and I will at least give them something small for staying here.

Otherwise I enjoy the company and my parent do as well. I consider my brothers my best friends and we do pretty much everything together and we all have common interests. They are a little more social than I am and have girlfriends but they're also 5 and 9 years younger than me. I come from a family that very much values get togethers and we all get together for everyone's birthdays and holidays because that's what my grandpa did when he was younger.

I know it's pretty shameful in American culture to not want to be independent and move out on your own but I don't think I will ever get married and I don't know if I could realistically live on my own with my anxiety and depression. Depression is something that runs on my family grandma had it mom had it and now I think I was the unlucky one in my family to get it.

My parents eventually want to get a get away house down south so at least starting out they will be staying down there in the winters when they retire in 10 years. Eventually they will be down permanently. My mom says that but she can't stand to be away from me and my brothers for more than a few days. She says it will be hard if anyone of us ever move out because we have that strong of a bond. She had me very young we share the same birthday and my mom turned 17 when she had me and my dad was 18. I think that's why we have such a good relationship with each other both my parents. But they said we will be the ones to get the house eventually. There are about 6 different people that live around me that are family. Grandma and grandpa live across the street, aunt and uncle live right next to them, great grandma lives close, cousins live across the street, and another aunt and uncle live close next to them. All of my family in general all live within 20 minutes of each other.

With the way I grew up with my family and how we always do everything together I just don't know if I will ever move out. If I ever do meet someone maybe I would build a place on our land since we have the room but if I don't I probably will just be here help my parents and give them company and if they do leave I will take care of the house and they can always come back here from down south whenever they want.

·
I Am Second
58,112 Posts
I still live at home, I'm just trying to improve daily. Saving up and stuff. Its hell here though, not good environment for me.

Reactions: nightsbyfrankocean

·
Wanted for questioning
3,079 Posts
I'm at home. I really don't mind, it's not a bad environment 99% of the time and it's literally this or homeless so you know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm at home. I really don't mind, it's not a bad environment 99% of the time and it's literally this or homeless so you know.
Pretty much that's it isn't it? My mom would be very against me getting a roomate that's a total stranger. I wouldn't like it anyways because I'm pretty anti social as it is. My cousin that's 21 moved out because she's one of those that don't get along with her family flunked out of college going back to school again and her parents pay for her to live on her own. She pays her rent her parents do everything else for her still. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me but hey whatever. The whole recent thing of being out at 18 has only been around since WW2 ended. Now its made a come back to where people aren't moving out because the economy isn't good no matter what people say. If I never do I won't regret it my family are the best roomates and once I finally get a stable job I won't feel any shame anymore.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you for sharing this because I often feel very alone in this situation. I'm 24 as well and have about one more term after the current one I'm in before I get my Bachelors. I have a part-time job at the moment, but find it hard to locate another one that will help me be stable on my own. My parents don't seem to mind that I'm still living here, but I hate the fact how most people I know around my age are already living on their own and I'm still at home with my parents. It makes me wonder if anyone in my peer groups think less of me because of this. Best of luck on your job hunt. I hope you find something good. :)

·
So unfair
37 Posts
I'm 20 and I'm still sharing a tiny room with my 13-year-old sister. Being on the Autistic Spectrum makes it hard for me to get a job, and I wouldn't be able to handle one along with university work at the same time. I could live at my Dad's house, but he had to turn my room into an office for a job, there's still a bed there but it's not the same. I miss having my own space.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,955 Posts
I still do. :/ I don't feel good about it at all, but I'm incapable of independence and am unable to work, and my parents are the only "social" contact I have.

My SSI pays the utility bills...that's really the only good I can do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 29 and lived with parents my whole life. If I didn't have as bad OCD and SAD I'd have a job, but even then I'm not sure I would move out, because it's very lonely to live alone. I don't get along too great with my dad, but to have 2 people at home helps keep the loneliness away. My parents are the only close people that I have, I wouldn't want to leave them unless I was in a serious relationship with a woman.
I hear you on that it's just nice to have company and be around those you love. I mean I don't think I will ever get in a serious relationship or have kids but if I became an uncle I wouldn't mind having nieces or nephews around. I do get lonely sitting around while everyone else in my house is either at school or work. I don't know if I'll ever leave but I do want to find a job I just have not had much luck while I've looked and applied. I think I've put in over 40 in the last couple months and over the time since I started looking I can count on my 2 hands how many interviews I've had. I did get one temporary retail job I enjoyed but it was just temporary. My summer work is nice but it's not year round and not enough to survive on. Starting to think though I will be stuck at home forever even when I start working. I just can't see myself lasting living on my own right now with my anxiety and depression.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm 29 and lived with parents my whole life. If I didn't have as bad OCD and SAD I'd have a job, but even then I'm not sure I would move out, because it's very lonely to live alone. I don't get along too great with my dad, but to have 2 people at home helps keep the loneliness away. My parents are the only close people that I have, I wouldn't want to leave them unless I was in a serious relationship with a woman.
Hey there's nothing wrong with that I probably will be the same way. I've talked to girls in high school and at college and what not but it's not like I've ever wanted to get in a relationship with one. My siblings are the complete opposite they both have been in multiple relationships but that just isn't me I'm not social like that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still do. :/ I don't feel good about it at all, but I'm incapable of independence and am unable to work, and my parents are the only "social" contact I have.

My SSI pays the utility bills...that's really the only good I can do.
I mean both of us should be thankful that we have our parents around. This whole idea of parents kicking people out is just a boomer idea because they got to experience the most prosperous economic times. Sure they had struggles to but they could afford college much easier than we can today and buy a house much easier. The wages today just haven't kept up with inflation and we young folks just don't have as much opportunity today.

I thank god for my parents if I didn't have them I know I would be struggling a lot. They're ok with me staying here as long as I'm trying to better myself. So far things haven't worked out the way I want but I'm going to keep going forward.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mean in general I think we just as a society need to be more open to multi generation adults living together. Resources are already limited and it's so much harder to get started with how hard it is to get started in life. I think now almost 33 percent of millennials are living at home more than any other way of living. The number of them married is only 32 percent and the rest are either with roommates or other family members.

I don't get this whole thing in America it's apparently frowned upon to be with your family and if you're not independent then you're not normal. I've just gotten to the point where I don't care what society thinks anymore. Other cultures embrace family a lot more than Americans do. Maybe we all wouldn't be so miserable if we focused on family more and being around each other. Family isn't around forever and I don't want to be one of those that move all the way across the country away from them and maybe only see them a few weeks out of the year for the rest of my life. Plus maybe it's a good thing people aren't getting married and having more kids I don't think this earth and country can take many more. At least that's how I see it.

·
I Am Second
58,112 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You're right just take it one day at a time is all we can do.
Yeah but unfortunately time doesn't stop, I wish I could take my time to improve but time is not my friend. I'll need to move out in a yr max most likely.

·
See? No more pain
4,322 Posts
Still at home but I help out with bills. Planning to move in with friends if they ever turn out, but I'll make sure mum's good before I take off.

Can't really ask for anything more. This is k.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You live in a very good family, supportive and fun. It is going to hard to move out thinking that life will be less fun without your family nearby. I lived with my parents until I was 30. It was beneficial because rent is cheap, and I get to help them out. I eventually moved out but after a few years, I bought a house. They moved in with me to save rent, so I ended up living with them again. Dating could be hard when you have to explain your situation, but women are understanding. Just be honest from the get-go, and be confident. You'll be surprised how women can be supportive of your situation.

Regarding work, have you tried online marketing? Here's a quick article on it. https://abcofonlinemarketing.com/the-basics-of-online-marketing
Check it out, it may be something that you will be passionate about.

Good luck and wishing you the best

·
Banned
8,417 Posts
your question means:

in street or dead?

Kidnapped?

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,669 Posts
I still live with my mom but only because I can't afford my own place and when I finally do move out I want my own place where I don't have to deal with anyone else's crap, otherwise I might have just found some roommates long ago

1 - 20 of 59 Posts