Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or maybe just in western society? Just don't post random numbers.

I think it was 3/10 people are introverted, but that doesn't mean every one of them has SA.

·
Registered
643 Posts
somewhere between 2 and 7 percent of the population according to wikipedia. I guess you could safely say somewhere around 4 in 100 people have it. I don't know if that's true though because I don't recall ever meeting anyone I could say for sure had it. I must be the only one in my community. There's at least 60 people that work in my office and I can't think of anyone other than me that seems to have it.

·
Lost
275 Posts
somewhere between 2 and 7 percent of the population according to wikipedia. I guess you could safely say somewhere around 4 in 100 people have it. I don't know if that's true though because I don't recall ever meeting anyone I could say for sure had it. I must be the only one in my community. There's at least 60 people that work in my office and I can't think of anyone other than me that seems to have it.
Most SA sufferers are very good at hiding it though. I wouldn't say that too many people I know would be able to identify that I actually have it.

And also, you have to take into account that the degree of SA varies depending on the person. One person might have a more intense problem which restricts them from doing most things that non-SA sufferers wouldn't think twice about. And another person might have a less intense version of SA which can only slightly affect them, but doesn't stop them from doing the old day to day. (Work/school, etc).

SA is an embarassing disorder that I'm sure lots of people wouldn't dare admit to having. So I can't assume it would be easy to fugure out a percentage of people that have it.
I just wish there was more awareness of it, so people suffering silently can know they're not alone.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Most SA sufferers are very good at hiding it though. I wouldn't say that too many people I know would be able to identify that I actually have it.

And also, you have to take into account that the degree of SA varies depending on the person. One person might have a more intense problem which restricts them from doing most things that non-SA sufferers wouldn't think twice about. And another person might have a less intense version of SA which can only slightly affect them, but doesn't stop them from doing the old day to day. (Work/school, etc).

SA is an embarassing disorder that I'm sure lots of people wouldn't dare admit to having. So I can't assume it would be easy to fugure out a percentage of people that have it.
I just wish there was more awareness of it, so people suffering silently can know they're not alone.
I assume they get their percentages from surveys.Most people wouldn't be able to identify that I have it either. Only because they don't what the hell it is. I'm sure they know something is off but can't put their finger on it. You would think I would see it in a least one other person though seeing as I'm so familiar with it. Is it possible my SA or symptoms of SA are not as visible to other people?

·
Lost
275 Posts
I assume they get their percentages from surveys.Most people wouldn't be able to identify that I have it either. Only because they don't what the hell it is. I'm sure they know something is off but can't put their finger on it. You would think I would see it in a least one other person though seeing as I'm so familiar with it. Is it possible my SA or symptoms of SA are not as visible to other people?
I'm exactly the same as you. I don't think many of my friends know what SA is either. They definitely know something is up with me, it's just that I always refrain from telling them exactly what when they ask - mainly because I'm embarassed.

There isn't anyone in my life right now that I could say has SA. But thinking back to my school days, there were a few who probably had it. I had no idea what SA was back then, so was ignorant to the fact that they weren't just 'shy'; as they were labeled by others.

Now I get it.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I don't know. It depends on how you define SA. Do we simply pick some number on the Liebowitz SA Scale and if you top that then you have it, but if you're a single point lower you don't? And, if so, what is that magic number? It's hard to say where being shy or introverted ends and having SA begins. There is no clear line.

Then if you go by surveying people asking if they have SA, well then you run into the problem of some not knowing what the hell it is (I didn't know till age 27, yet I had it for as long as I can remember). If we go by how many show up in a doctor's office to get treatment for it then we fail to count all those who are too afraid to see the doctor to get treatment -- which is easy to imagine with severe SA cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts