Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and How often do you go?

if you are not seeing one, if there was a psychiatrist that specialized in SA or had it himself, would you be more likely to go?

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Went as a kid, so haven't been since I was 11. It wasn't about as it was forced by the school so left a bad taste in my mouth for therapy.

·
Barbells and kittens
3,940 Posts
I've been to quite a few over the years, psychiatrists and counselors. It was usually on a weekly or every other week basis.

·
Author
242 Posts
I did a few years ago for 4-5 sessions but it didnt help me. My therapist seemed to think I could just flip a switch. She sent me to a psychologist who then prescribed anti depressents which didnt help. Afte the 4th session with him he gave up saying maybe I wasnt trying to get better so I havent seen one in years.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
I've been trying different meds for a while. I see a PA at my school to get meds ...usually every 1 to 3 weeks. I've seen a couple actual psychiatrists but didn't make it past 2 or 3 appointments with them for some reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been followed by a psychiatrist for 20 years and by a psychologist for 3 years. I meet with the former once a month and once a week with the latter. They are the only persons who truly understand my problems, so yes I'm grateful to see them so regularly. My psychologist is particularly supportive and motivating. Although I still have strong SA when it comes to interacting with people, I have made tremendous progress since I have seen them.

Whether it is worthwhile to see a doctor depends on how you feel with them. If you come out of their office feeling uplifted then I'd say yes undoubtedly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went to one and it was completely free (Job corps). Was an certified psychiatrist who diagnosed me S.A.D. I would have any chance that I had, gave me a few breathing exercises. Research papers about SAD and put me on Fluoxetine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did last week for the first time. She's a nurse practitioner/registered dietitian actually. I really needed an Adderall Rx. I'll see her every time I need a new Rx.

I can't really talk about SA with anyone except my friend who also has it, so yes I would probably be more likely to go see a psychiatrist who specialized in SA.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went to one years ago,did nothing.Put me on Paxil,s**t allmost killed me.Dumb *** was at least twice as shocked as I was after telling him the f****d up **** that happened to me as a child.Isn't the shrink supposed to keep it together?
Best shrink to date is my cat.He listens to every word I say and before the end of every session promptly falls asleep.When he wakes he never remembers his fee

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
and How often do you go?
I saw a psychiatrist/psychologist combo back in high school, and again as an adult, maybe from around 2005?-2012, I believe it was. (Psychologists are actually the ones who do most of the work, not the psychiatrists.)

I don't go anymore as my therapy was terminated as unsuccessful; the clinic made funding cuts and couldn't justify continuing to treat me. I went through two psychologists there, both of whom gave up on me. :sigh

When I did go though, I was supposed to be going for 45-75 minutes once every two weeks, but with how frequently I got cancelled on and rescheduled, and with how often the therapist ran late to my appointments, it was more like 30 minutes once a month, if I was lucky...not terribly helpful for somebody who's had severe SA for 25 years. :/ And often that 30 minutes was taken up filling out paperwork/case reviews.

ETA, oh yeah, also they tried me on like eight different meds of various types...aside from the weight I gained on the SSRIs, all of them may as well have been sugar pills. :/ I quit most of them (including Klonopin) cold turkey with very few to no withdrawal effects.

if you are not seeing one, if there was a psychiatrist that specialized in SA or had it himself, would you be more likely to go?
To be honest...it's doubtful. My last experiences were just so horrible and humiliating and dismissive (first therapist--ended therapy by telling me to write her a letter if I wanted to continue, if not, she'd close my case; second therapist--basically, after several years of being told not to feel guilty taking up therapy time, and growing to trust this person, I was let off with "You're not trying hard enough, you don't want to get better" and "Other people who need it more could be using this therapy time--be happy, you have it better than they do") that I can hardly bear the thought of giving therapy another try, even if there was another therapist available.

They would have to be a VERY patient and understanding therapist...I don't think such a person even exists. I know now that even therapists can give up on you and let you slip through the cracks, and make you feel guilty for taking up their time while doing so, so I doubt I could ever open up to yet another one. :afr

(And being here on SAS has taught me that even somebody who has SA isn't necessarily more likely to understand somebody else who has SA. We often misunderstand each other the most.)

I always encourage those who feel therapy would benefit them to try it out, though...just that it didn't help me any. I'm just too broken. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
No. I've been thinking about it more often since I've been in a pretty bad place lately. My mom says she could maybe get be a few sessions with someone through her work health plan since I can't really afford therapy, so I'm thinking about it. Of course, the thought of going gives me anxiety too, so I never know what to do.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes, I believe once when I was 7 and then started up again between the ages of 14-17. Obviously a child psychiatrist so I don't know if that affected how I was diagnosed. Funny thing is I have never been diagnosed with social anxiety - always generalized anxiety. Is that just a blanket term? Haha. I don't know if that's a child psychiatrist thing or thing in general...

·
Byebye SAS.
2,957 Posts
nope. kinda useless after a certain age.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I was just curious because I was debating on whether or not to do my residency in psychiatry. I really like the idea of being able to help out my fellow SAers, especially since I know what they're going through first hand. Though I'm not sure how much a Psychiatrist could actually help with SA. I went to a therapist several years ago and it did squat. Seems like you all have had similar experiences. Too bad... Plus, I'm still not sure of the total scope of their practice and other issues they deal with. I'll learn more about it and keep considering it.

We shall see. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts