Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and if you haven't been diagnosed with SA, how did you find out that you have it?

I havent. I read a topic on a music forum i usually visit where a guy said he had Social Anxiety, so i looked it up on wikipedia and when i read the symptoms i was 90% sure i had this thing.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
I have not.

However I was in therapy, on medication and did see a clinical psychologist for depression related issues. When it comes down to it even if you go into a psychologists office they may not immediately diagnose you. Also you may give off symptoms that meet the description of half a dozen other similar DSM-IV mental disorders. Psychology isn't a hard exact science. If you absolutely need a diagnosis, see a psychologist. Otherwise your own analysis should be a fair approximation. The only reason most people get diagnosed is because they want pharmacist prescription required medication to deal with it. If you don't intend to use prescription medication, then I don't see a pressing need to find out definitely 100% whether you have it or not.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I was diagnosed with agoraphobia 10 years ago, it's pretty much just all SA now though.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Around the time I was in 8th grade I somehow found out about social anxiety on the internet via google. It described me well. A couple of years later, I was diagnosed with an adjustment disorder w/ mixed emotions by a neuropsychologist. I had to take some learning disability test, because my mom wanted me to, so I saw them for some reason and they had that written down. I think I remember vaguely my mom mentioning to them that I thought I had SA but they didn't really take it seriously. Lots of people at the time were also saying I was "denying depression". In 2007, I saw a social worker and she "diagnosed" me with SA. I basically just gave her a list of symptoms from my past, and she said yeah, I have that.

I agree with drealm.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
I have. Apparently I have avoidant personality disorder, general anxiety disorder (didn't know I had that) and depression with BPD tendencies or something like that.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
yes diagnosed in 2005 by a psychologist.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes, I've been diagnosed with it. After seeing 3-4 different psychiatrists and psychologists over 5-6 years. They got the depression out of the way for me but couldn't get the anxiety or if they did, never came out and said it to me for whatever reason.

I always knew I had it, just couldn't find anyone to truly see that about me. So after finding this place and self-helping myself for a year and a half, finally got a diagnosis for it last year.

I have severe social anxiety disorder/avoident personality, surprisingly no depression though.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
I read about it in a psychology textbook in college, and diagnosed myself. Then, when I saw a psychiatrist six years later, I suggested the diagnosis, and she said, "Oh absolutely, that."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking back I started to become withdrawn when I was about 15/16 but it wasn't until I was 18 in 2003 that I started spending months staying in and then in 2006 after doing nothing with my life, I began to question whether there was infact something wrong with me, and so here I am an official SA sufferer.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I have been. About 5 years ago.
I was pretty sure I had it, though. Searching google gave me the name of what it was and the symptoms.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have. Apparently I have avoidant personality disorder, general anxiety disorder (didn't know I had that) and depression with BPD tendencies or something like that.
If you think you got avoidant personailty disorder just by looking online, your probabaly wrong. I'd reccomend seeing someone before you say you have a PD. I thought I was schizophrenic and had some crazy PD but I saw someone and they said no way, you just got anxiety.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have -- nine years in the making...

·
Coffee me.
444 Posts
I was diagnosed as having severe SA, and moderate to severe depression. This was probably 6-7 years ago now. The depression is much better now. The SA did improve with medication, but now without, it is returning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts