Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too many to count! I am so ashamed of myself. I guess this is why I can't support myself and am forced to stay in my parents' place forever. I hate the fact that I get so paranoid at work and think that everyone is judging me and thinking I'm not doing a good enough job. I don't think I'll ever get over this. How the hell am I going to pay back my loans?:(

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
One - I had another job lined up, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One. I had it for just over a year. It was the only job I have ever had. Now I need a job but I feel old and inexperienced:( It's been 5 years since college and I haven't done anything...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think I've quit two, because of SA, a motel and a mop making factory. I've turned down a few waitressing jobs because of SA. That was all back in high school/college. Now, 8 years post college, I have a hard time applying because of the gaps and lack of references. Sigh, I just can't win.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I quit one job that I had held for over 5 years due to social anxiety and depression. I don't think it really had anything to do with the job. I was just not in a rational frame of mind at the time and felt I should quit before I ended up having a nervous breakdown.

In some respects, it was the biggest mistake I've ever made, but in other respects, it was a good decision because while I was not working, I started walking everyday and I found a book at the library called "Depression Is A Choice" by A.B. Curtiss that completely changed how I viewed social anxiety and depression. After taking 3 months off, I got a temp job for about 3 months and then a friend from my previous job hired me at a place where he had just become the manager. I've been there for almost 2 years now.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
I quit one because of SA and depression, not to mention it also sucked. I just didn't have the motivation to get up in the morning, and I didn't want to get fired.

·
alien monk
8,459 Posts
Quite a few.

·
Lost
342 Posts
ONE - my first job out of university and I couldn't fit in and just wasnt communicating enough apparently, so I had to quit...and its stuffed my career up. Any other job i've had has just been laboring type work so there wasnt much communication involved.

·
alien monk
8,459 Posts
ONE - my first job out of university and I couldn't fit in and just wasnt communicating enough apparently, so I had to quit...and its stuffed my career up. Any other job i've had has just been laboring type work so there wasnt much communication involved.
Hey, I'm sure you can salvage your career. I know what that kind of experience is like though, its pretty demoralising. Its not going to be like that everywhere you go, you have to try to find a place where you can fit in. Different busineses have different cultures, don't give up!

SA ruined my studying for an IT degree so I lost that possible career - I am kinda glad about that now. I'm finishing uni soon and will have to get a real job. Luckily my current degree will be useless and I will have no career as such to stuff up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jobs

none but I am the master of avoidance and alot of people think Im pretty strange and I have anxiety attacks all ther time and cant move but I have no choice man its not easy

·
Registered
344 Posts
One. Had to give a presentation in front of a few people at a conference. While i felt confident and good about going through it. I was totally exhausted and couldn't imagine making this a regular thing with my job. Had to take oral presentation training to prepare for it.

Actually feel like i've taken a step back since leaving that job too. But it was taking a toll on my health. My blood pressure would rise weeks in advance of these things cause i was so terrified. Having this disability sucks!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
None. Quitting would be a worse anxiety situation than just shutting up and working. And I always feel there's no guarantee I'll ever get another job.
I had one job, moved to another one in the company, got laid off, got my current job a year and a half later, and that's been my whole work life. I hate change.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I graduated from college eight years ago, have had nine or ten jobs since..and quit all but one of them (that one I got fired from). I usually have some excuse like I can do better but then the next job is nearly the same as the one before. I get tired of being around all the people, talking to all the people, putting on fake smiles and fake conversation for all the people. And yes my anxiety has kicked in, especially dealing with angry customers and my voice starts trembling and frogs jump in my throat. I've stayed unemployed when I could afford to because job interviewing causes me the worst anxiety of all but I always jump back in because somewho its my own version of exposure therapy or something.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

But I've only 3 different jobs in my life. And I avoid applying for things that I don't believe are a decent fit for me from a SA standpoint.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've lost count. I had a part time job working at a preschool for almost a year and then got fired pretty much because I wasn't engaging enough with the children. I even tried to explain to the boss that it was hard for me and I felt like I was improving, but I was told that I just wasn't improving quickly enough. That was a few months ago and since then I haven't been able to find anything. I'm only taking one class at cc, and that feels very challenging, just being in the school and stuff. I'm considering calling about some of the positions in the paper for home health care. I tried doing that once several months previously and got really intimidated because the man was so rude to me on the phone. I have one dollar in my wallet right now and am sponging off of my parents, who incidentally are not at all happy about my unproductiveness. They think that I am very lazy and do not believe that I am trying to find work again. Yes. Especially with the economy plummeting the way it is... it is not a good situation at all.

·
Banned
2,265 Posts
Although I love being around Fashion..and Ect..
I had to quit my job at forever 21..I couldn't take all the socializing...

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Zero, but I've been fired due to depression and lack of concentration. This occured a few times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts