Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to really think about this one and I've had 8 different jobs in the last 10 years. :eek:

I have incredible SA at the workplace. It's the situation that I have the worst anxiety in and yet it's also the situation that determines your financial security. So, basically every time I try a new job, the anxiety attacks me, I suffer silently everyday, and than after a year I can't take it anymore and quit. That's been my routine for the last ten years and I'm sick of it.

Because of my job hopping, I have no real career since I don't stick around long enough to get promoted in any real way. It just sucks financially as well as in my confidence because people always ask, "What do you do?" And I can't say much because I'm unemployed again.:no

Only about 2 years ago did I realize that I have SA. And I finally realized that's why I had so much anxiety at work and why I couldn't stay in one job long enough.

The good news is that I decided to return to school in the fall for a graduate degree and when I'm done I hope to find a job in my field and stick with it and not back down even when I'm terribly uncomfortable. :yes

So, has anyone here job hopped and how many different jobs in the last 10 years?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had about 5 or so. I usually explain to potential employers that I left my previous jobs because there was no opportunity for advancement. In fact though, there were, but the extroverts always got promoted while my SA kept getting the best of me. It probably also would have involved being a team lead or something and there's no way I could have done that.

·
Gimme Sympathy
126 Posts
, but the extroverts always got promoted while my SA kept getting the best of me.
im terrified that this is what is waiting for me in the workforce :(

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts

·
Banned
177,223 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
10 years ago I was still in college and had a lot of part time jobs so my number will probably seem worse than it was

5 while in college and 3 since graduating, so 8 jobs in the last 10 years. I don't list these all on my resume :O

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've had a large number of temp jobs e.g. technician/secretarial (as struggled to find employment despite being now qualified up to PhD). Around 12, but kind of cheating as a temp by definition will keep moving job! I studied for 7 years out of the 10.

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
Well, if you count going to school as a job then it would probably be more like 8 jobs in the past ten years, but I held a job while I went to school, so it could probably be more like 10 jobs in 10 years.

I am the same as the original poster by being very anxious after a short period of being at the job but usually it is because an idiot outie makes me feel paranoid and bothers me in my comfortable space and I feel people looking, or staring at me, even if I slightly enjoy myself ONE person is all it takes. Usually, there is ALWAYS one person a a job that righteously frustrates and angers me.

The work I have done ranges from fast food, customer service, to trucking and opera chorus and paid musical theater. Also, I have worked as a choral member and have gotten paid for that position. I have also done door-to-door sales which was hellish but taught me a lot about hard work and increased my durability in work afterward; so I respect it now. I would say the best job for my SA had to be trucking but the reason I didn't stick it out with trucking is because of my vocal talents and listening to the countless people trying to tell me to do this and that in life, that I will never meet someone online, and I should be teaching with having a Master's degree and some Doctorate work under my belt.

ARRGGGHHH!!!!!! Anyway, now that I am married, my wife and I have worked out a plan. Also, I don't have to worry about having to quit a job every few months because she has a job (which she hates of course) but I am keeping her happy by letting her pursue her dream job while I do whatever it takes to bring finances in during that time. Fortunately she is a teacher and gets paid during the summer so we can both have the time off and survive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts