·
Failure's Art
1,904 Posts
Currently 9

·
Failure's Art
1,904 Posts
Firefox: 82
lol what? How can you even click on them they must be tiny and it must be impossible to even find the open webpage you want anyway.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,505 Posts
I have four browsers open right now, Firefox, Chrome, Brave, and Opera - between them I have about 17 tabs open on this desktop, but I use DexPot and have a variety of other virtual desktops for projects and typically have browsers that have other tabs open specifically for those projects. At this moment, I am only using two desktops and my inactive one has a browser with four tabs open.

Most of the tabs can be closed, it is mostly pointless stuff like if Superman could survive a nuclear blast (he can, I completely forgot he did in Batman vs Superman) I also have a couple open for when I was searching for fantasy themed music streamed by shoutcast. Another three are for youtube, despite my desire to find another video streaming service. In Chrome, I was looking up keyboard shortcuts for a game. I also had a couple of tabs open for AutoHotKey, which is a really useful program. I was looking for a script to enable fullscreen in games that don't support it, or require a restart to have fullscreen. I found one that works pretty well actually. In Brave I have a few tabs up that list different regions I could explore in a game. Opera, I had opened for Replika because I wanted to have a quick chat to take a screenshot for this forum.

I don't like to have too many tabs open, because then it is hard to find what I am looking for. Having different browsers makes it easier to organize all of my tabs and find them, usually I assign certain browsers for certain tasks throughout the day. My wife on the other hand, she typically has so many tabs open they become tiny icons in her browser.

·
Terminator
13,154 Posts
lol what? How can you even click on them they must be tiny and it must be impossible to even find the open webpage you want anyway.
I have a large monitor so they are not that hard to see generally. Plus you can use the scroll wheel to find the one you want.

·
bipolar
16,781 Posts
Yeah well I'm obviously doing something wrong because I just use the one browser ( I think it's Chrome - it has the coloured Google thing) and I just have 5 tabs open.

What are all you guys looking at to have so many things open at the same time?

Reminds me a bit of my son when he was a teenager. Whenever I wanted to talk to him I'd have to wait a second while he sent off some cryptic little messages in a black box up in the corner of his screen. (think it was DOS)

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,856 Posts
Se7en

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
About 162 tabs, I've had more before. 4 chrome windows and 2 edge windows.

which is probably going to be me anyway

----

I basically always win this one lol. (And any competition based around being chaotic.)

My brother has a sort of breakdown about it everytime he sees my monitors.

·
customusertitle
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have four browsers open right now, Firefox, Chrome, Brave, and Opera - between them I have about 17 tabs open on this desktop, but I use DexPot and have a variety of other virtual desktops for projects and typically have browsers that have other tabs open specifically for those projects. At this moment, I am only using two desktops and my inactive one has a browser with four tabs
interesting. I use different Chrome profiles for different purposes: one for irl profiles, one for social media, one for looking up stuff, etc. I had to delete a few to save some disk space, i think i had 7 profiles at one point.

never heard of dexpot before, I always wonder why windows doesnt make linux style workspaces. they're really useful.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,505 Posts
interesting. I use different Chrome profiles for different purposes: one for irl profiles, one for social media, one for looking up stuff, etc. I had to delete a few to save some disk space, i think i had 7 profiles at one point.

never heard of dexpot before, I always wonder why windows doesnt make linux style workspaces. they're really useful.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Dexpot is really awesome, although it hasn't been updated since 2016. With that said, it is very stable on my computer. The thing I like about it, over the native virtual desktop is that it has a ton of customization to it. I have a different resolution set to some of my virtual desktops, because sometimes I just prefer lower resolution for casual reading - but also because I am a bit of a nostalgia nut at times and like to browse the web at 800x600 - specifically older sites or stuff from Internet Archive. I could just use the browser's zoom feature but there is something about the 4:3 screen size that brings me a bit of joy.. I can be a complete sucker for things like that. Plus I can set different backgrounds for the desktops, decide if I want a taskbar, and so on.

I think Microsoft really missed the mark when it comes to the virtual desktops. It has been a while since I used linux for my main OS, but I did enjoy the virtual desktops I used in Xfce. I think I could set the resolution for each of them as well.

I just went through the chore of updating all of my passwords, what a complete PITA that was. I didn't realize just how many accounts I have spread around the Internet until I received a notification that one of them was compromised. It seems like every site wants you to register to them now :lol I have gotten to the point that I just let the browser setup the strong password, and hope my chrome account never gets compromised. I have been looking into other password managers though, there was one I could store on my own network that looked promising.

·
customusertitle
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dexpot is really awesome, although it hasn't been updated since 2016. With that said, it is very stable on my computer. The thing I like about it, over the native virtual desktop is that it has a ton of customization to it. I have a different resolution set to some of my virtual desktops, because sometimes I just prefer lower resolution for casual reading - but also because I am a bit of a nostalgia nut at times and like to browse the web at 800x600 - specifically older sites or stuff from Internet Archive. I could just use the browser's zoom feature but there is something about the 4:3 screen size that brings me a bit of joy.. I can be a complete sucker for things like that. Plus I can set different backgrounds for the desktops, decide if I want a taskbar, and so on.
That's kind of cool. I don't usually bother customizing things. The only thing I do really is make the taskbar vertical (I've probably been doing that since windows 98 or something).

I think Microsoft really missed the mark when it comes to the virtual desktops. It has been a while since I used linux for my main OS, but I did enjoy the virtual desktops I used in Xfce. I think I could set the resolution for each of them as well.

I just went through the chore of updating all of my passwords, what a complete PITA that was. I didn't realize just how many accounts I have spread around the Internet until I received a notification that one of them was compromised. It seems like every site wants you to register to them now :lol I have gotten to the point that I just let the browser setup the strong password, and hope my chrome account never gets compromised. I have been looking into other password managers though, there was one I could store on my own network that looked promising.
Oh, I just use "hunter2" for all my passwords. That's safer I think :3

seriously though, I have the same problem with passwords. I also have really bad memory, so whenever I do change some password I tend to completely forget the new one unless I'm actively using it.

·
customusertitle
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About 162 tabs, I've had more before. 4 chrome windows and 2 edge windows.

I basically always win this one lol.
ya. that does sound extreme. .__.

(And any competition based around being chaotic.)
'New Folder (2) - Copy - Copy" ? :|

My brother has a sort of breakdown about it everytime he sees my monitors.
well maybe not too extreme. I basically only start closing tabs when I get too many Chrome windows they start cluttering my taskbar. I probably wouldn't if I used multiple screens. Multiple taskbars to clutter I guess.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
41,964 Posts
ya. that does sound extreme. .__.

'New Folder (2) - Copy - Copy" ? :|

well maybe not too extreme. I basically only start closing tabs when I get too many Chrome windows they start cluttering my taskbar. I probably wouldn't if I used multiple screens. Multiple taskbars to clutter I guess.
I don't get the folder thing, but actually my folders are more organised lol so less chaotic in that case. Although I sometimes start file names off with 0 - 0 and so on to try and get them to show up at the top of a long list. When I was younger I used to have really dumb file names though some of them were like I was having a conversation with myself (cba finding an example right now some are really cringy lol.)

Most of the time I end up losing most of the tabs only when the browser I'm using crashes and it doesn't recover some of them, as often happens with Chrome lol. I have two monitors so creates more room.

·
SAS Member
716 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 22 Posts