Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I've always had it. I can remember being in first grade and having this thing go on everyday at lunch where I would have to dump my tray at the garbage can in front of this janitor guy and I would always have all these thoughts that he thought I was weird and strange for not eating all my food or not finishing my beans. I would imagine that he went home and told his family members about me and they would all have a big laugh about the weird kid at school. I would get so tense and anxious that I would have to sit there for a long time sweating bullets and trying to work up the courage to go past him so I could get out to the playground for recess. It doesn't seem normal for a kid that age to be experiencing that and be a nervous wreck. Anyways I didn't think about it much growing up but then around eighteen that stuff sort of started taking over my life and I've been battling it ever since everyday and in every area of my life. It makes me feel very depressed and inadequate. I basically go around feeling just like that first grade kid and here I am a 31 year old grown man. Anyone else have SA that far back or go through anything similar?

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I'm not sure...I was always shy but I don't know when i started getting paranoia thoughts...it was only recently did I even realise that it was not normal to have them/that it was a problem and after a bit of research, discoeverd the term "social anxiety" and not long after that, found this site :D.

·
Doing my best
301 Posts
i was always shy but not anxious or paranoid till about 13. grew gradually till i was 16 and couldn't leave the damn house. started getting easier again when i was about 23. so... somewhere around half my life. holy ****, that sucks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It developed over time, had symptoms since I was young, only realised what it was when I was 16 or 17. I used to believe it was everyone around mes problem!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I was always quiet as a kid but didn't have SA back then. I probably had some form of SA for years before I was diagnosed but it's only been severe for about 11 or 12 years now.

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
I was always a shy person, but managed. I switched jobs at 20 and started to develop it quite fast around then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a kid I had loads of friends and although I was quiet I could talk to people with no problems. However, when I was ten I was put into a class where I was seperated from all my friends (except one) and where the teacher bullied me for being quiet. I lost all my confidence and became very shy. When I got into secondary school (12 years old for anyone not familar with that system) I couldn't talk to anyone except from my mate and although I made two new friends through her everything got worse and I soon had to be homeschooled as I was refusing to go in. Because of that I've lost contact with those three friends, but over the two years I've been at home I've managed to get a lot of my confidence back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts