Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My work is 19 miles from home and it takes about 18-20 minutes to drive there. Wish I was a little closer because it's 3 hours a week I'm wasting and about $20-25 in gas. But also don't want to live in town.

·
Irretrievably Lost
2,868 Posts
I currently wfh so my commute is 0 miles but when I did have a commute it ranged anywhere from 5 mins to 45 mins each way depending on where I was living at the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,967 Posts
Each way, about a 15min walk, 10min wait, then a 25min ferry ride and then another 10min walk. Approximately an hour total. But since covid, I only do this once per week or two weeks.

If I get start using my electric scooter instead of walking, it will probably shave off half of the walking time. Unfortunately, if the ferry becomes too crowded, they will not let people with scooters or bikes get on until the next ferry comes if it is less crowded. If that ferry becomes crowded, I would have to wait again for the next one. It isn't worth the risk unless I am commuting in the off peak hours. Also in the city I work in, there have been alarmingly increasing numbers of scooters and cyclists being physically knocked down, attacked, injured and then robbed of their scooters and cyclists. I am generally someone who would be a very favorable target in terms of this. So this also made me more hesitant to commute with it.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Right now a few feet 3 days per week and then 3 miles one way twice per week which is a 10 minute drive if the bridge doesn’t go up.

Reactions: JH1983

·
Self isolating from self
3,580 Posts
It's a 5 - 10 minute drive, but I looked for a living place nearby. I got tired of making a long commute in the winter.

·
Irretrievably Lost
2,868 Posts
@Blue Dino I heard about people getting beat up for their electric bikes and scooters in the news. Apparently there are actually certain gangs whose main source of income comes come stealing and reselling these bikes and scooters. A lot of delivery drivers use them so they will put in fake orders to certain neighborhoods without a police presence then overwhelm the driver and take their bike. It's pretty gross what people will do for money. I don't blame you for not wanting to drive your scooter to work.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
8,027 Posts
My driveway :) I sit around until I am given a notice for a delivery then drive to pick up food, then deliver it. It is pretty convenient in that way. My longest commute was when I worked for IBM at a call center, it would be about an hour drive each way and a lot of that was congested traffic up into Tampa. It was so long, I would notice myself snapping out of a day dream only to have driven miles upon miles, as though I were in a hypnotic state and my brain was performing all of the maneuvering for me. It was kind of scary when it happened, but somehow I managed not to ever get in an accident. There is an actual term for what happens, I guess it is pretty common on long drives.

But yeah, a two hour commute each day was not fun - the pay was pretty good though and I really liked that job. My coworkers were all tech geeks, and I worked the third shift with them, often playing video games on a gamecube and small portable TV I brought in, as well as just browsing the web.

·
Super Moderator
35,376 Posts
Under 30 minutes. I always stop for a coffee first.
I wouldn't last a year at a job with a 30 minute commute. My last job was about five minutes and I remember countless days when I didn't get up until the last minute, took like a one minute shower, ran out the door still wet and still got there like 5 minutes late. Especially on really cold mornings. You'd think someone would get used to the schedule but I never did. It got harder and harder to get up on time the longer I worked there.

·
experimental sincerity
1,490 Posts
Currently I work from home. The longest commute I've had was 1.5 hours each way. Usually I could read on the train so that was ok, it was more problematic if I needed to get home from work because I got sick (say, with a stomach bug), or if I had a few beers after work and had to spend 1.5 hours without a toilet.

One of my colleagues commuted from another country, she would fly in for work. She was paid a shetload of money so could afford it and she worked from home for most of the week. A couple of months into the job she messed everything up, got fired and given a massive payout (something like 4x my annual salary at the time) to leave quietly. Senior management!

Reactions: JH1983

·
Barbells and kittens
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Long commutes are soul crushing after a long day at work. Before I moved I was an hour each way from my job. Sucked working 10-12 hour days and then having to drive an hour home. I did that for about six months, don't think I could do it long term.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Too damn long. And I don't work odd hours anymore, so I hit traffic. I feel like I'm wasting my life behind the wheel sometimes.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
50 Miles / 50 minutes (1+ hour coming home)

Still beats my old 90 minute commute:
  • Drive to a park n ride.
  • Catch a bus to the train station
  • Ride the train into the city
  • Catch another bus to the office.

·
(*__*)
1,404 Posts
3 minute drive… I still end up late most days and I’m not crazy about the job, but I can’t picture myself making it in a job where I have to travel 30+ min.

·
Wilco Tango Foxtrot!
4,015 Posts
3 minute drive… I still end up late most days and I’m not crazy about the job, but I can’t picture myself making it in a job where I have to travel 30+ min.
When I lived in a city my commute averaged between 30-45 minutes. O_O

...yeah I don't miss that!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts