Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how old a computer gets before parts start breaking or it stops working. My computer is a VPR Matrix from 2002 and right now it is working really good. I'm a little worried because I don't see many computers that are this old which means mine might start having problems soon.

·
Registered
643 Posts
7 years if very good. With HP laptops at least in my case they start breaking very fast. I bought a laptop a couple of years ago and the thing broke in 2 months. I would start to expect things to start breaking. Again it depends on how good you take care of it.

·
(.*?)
6,827 Posts
Laptops fall apart the day the warranty expires. Desktops last forever. I had a 1995 Packard Bell (certainly not a good brand, they were accused of using used parts, and the CD drive had problems from shortly after purchase) which I junked in 2003, but would probably still be running strong today if I had any use for something that old and slow. My parents had a 1998 computer until a couple years ago, and it was still running fine, again just junked for being slow.

My laptop I bought in 2003 is theoretically still amongst the living, but all the useful parts broke. It lost its DVD drive, the internal keyboard doesn't work, the battery is dead, the power cord is flaky, and so on.

·
SAS Member
31,298 Posts
Mine lasted about three and a half years before the power supply went. I think my hard drive might be next because it's starting to make a clicking sound.

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
I also have a 2002 computer.... a dell dimension 4300.. and it is maxed out on upgrades... still works fine for my basic needs.. but wish it could do more... so I will probably get a new one in a year... actually I am planning on building it myself..

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I bought mine in 2004 or was it 05 I forget. Anyway the western digital hard drive started acting up right after the warranty ran out. I put a slightly bigger maxtor in it and had no problems with that. I really should add more memory though.

·
SAS Member
14,483 Posts
It also depends on how well you take care of it. I clean mine a lot and take the dust off the fans. I also take off the power supply appart and clean the dust accumulated inside.
This will add time to your pc's life.

But unless you build it yourself, you don't know the components used and usualy the companies buy the low cost stuff to save money, and probably making sure at the same time that your pc breaks fast so you come back to them to buy a new one.

·
Banned
877 Posts
A computer should last from about 7-10 years, depending on how you handle it of course.

·
Old Fogie
419 Posts
Desktop computers will last longer if you leave them on 24/7. However, I have nothing to back that up, except my own personal experience. My theory is that repeated heat-up and cool-down cycles is more detrimental than holding a stable temperature. Of course if you don't use it much then you should not follow this advice.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
I'm still using a Mac iBook I got in 2001. It's not useful for a whole lot anymore, but it's all I have, and I doubt I'm going to be able to afford a new computer any time soon. So I hope it continues to hang in there.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Seven to ten years sounds about accurate. It depends on many things of habit really even such as what you eat and drink by the computer and well as what kind of slob you are as you eat and drink (there are many kinds), what kind of temper you have when you have computer problems, what types of objects are nearby that you can easily pick up, draw back, then throw and release. All these things are revelant and important. Basically those kinds of things shorten the life of the computer much more so. It is best to have a clean office free of knickknacks or to crazy glue them down and to avoid paperweights. Basically to crazyglue all office organization things down or to the wall or ceiling is a good idea, including the landline phone but to have it not on the same desk as the springy cord with the ear/mouthpiece can "travel" still. It should be on another desk (glued down) along with a plate glued to the desk and the silverware mugs can be attached to the table with cords and must be cleaned there where you will only eat and drink. The trashcans and lamps must be glued to the desk or the floor. You get the idea.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
My laptop is from 2002 and while it is a little big (which makes it hard to carry it to school etc) it hasn't given me any problems.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pfft build the computer and it will last until you are ready to upgrade. If a part goes bad, instead of buying a brand new computer, I can just replace it with a new, upgraded part. The only time I may be in trouble is if my CPU is out of date, since they keep having those damned new sockets forcing you to buy a new one since the new mobos wont support old CPUs. Other than that, they still make AGP mobos (not very good agp cards, tho), so get a new mobo with the latest socket and I'm pretty sure you'll be good for 10+ years.

·
In orbit, always
824 Posts
I probably have you all beat. My parents still have the 1988 IBM PS2 from my childhood. Of course, they don't use it anymore. But I've hooked it up and turned it on just for kicks, and it still works. Personally I still have a completely functional 2000 desktop, but it was much too slow, so I bought a laptop in 2007.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
computers just don't totally break down, the parts do. Hard drive generally goes first and can last from a few months to 10-15 years depending on quality and luck and usage. Power supply is probably the next piece that may go, Disc drive would follow around there somewhere, if ever. As for the MB, cards, ram, CPU, ect. they seem to last forever unless you intentional abuse it or they are manufactured as defects already. Laptops are a whole new story, you can't really fix them if something goes wrong, most the time, and are at the mercy of the manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts