Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am not repeating something that was posted before, but how long are your workout sessions? Do you usually do cardio on separate days than weight training or together? If on the same day, how long do you do cardio?

I've been worried about overtraining and hope I'm not doing it. I feel like when I've done about 40 minutes of cardio, I think I need to go to 60 minutes. Then I change my mind at 60 and go to 90 minutes. Then I do my abdominal work out after this. Is this too much for one session? I find I get exhausted near the evening, so wonder if I'm doing too much. Any input would be so appreciated!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't really thing you can do too much cardio unless what you are doing is damaging your body. For instance, if you run and then increase your distance too quickly you could cause an injury.

I like to walk or run everyday. Lately my walks have been about three hours. This is pretty fast walking with some good climbs. I haven't been weight training but when I was I always did at least 20 minutes cardio to warm up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I work out between 40min and a hour, intensively. I don't do cardio however, just weight lifting. I know for a fact, that you can over do-it with the weights, and it can make you feel depressed, angry, tired, etc...

But before I lifted weights, I use to run 8km a day, 5 days a week... and it always made me feel good... I don't know if there are any overtaining effects when it comes to cardio... except for just wear and tear on you joints.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Too much cardio can be bad if your trying to build muscle. Beyond 60 minutes of high intensity cardio you are putting your body into an extremely catabolic state. Now this is fine if your goals arent to build or maintain muscle mass, but you wont find any bodybuilders doing that type of running.

You shouldnt be lifting right after or right before any cardio either. Because the running will just hurt your gains. Keep about 6-8 hours in between cardio and weight training.

Hows your diet and sleep? These would be the likely causes of your low energy.

G

·
I lift weights Mon/Wed/Fri for about 1-2 hours, no more than 2 hours. Tue/Thur I do plyometrics./agility/ cardio for no more than 2 hours.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I do cardio intensely for about 30-40 minutes a day, sometimes twice a day, because i've got alot of time on my hands and i want to slim. I also like to do a good session of abdominal exercises, like 5-10 minutes of it 4 days a week.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I lift usually an average of 2 times a week for an hour, and I do yoga ~3 times a week for 30-60 minutes. I don't do any specific cardio, although I probably should; I figure that I walk enough, between the store and my flat or between classrooms while at work, that my heart is staying healthy. Justify, justify. :b

·
Registered
96 Posts
2 days a week I weight lift for about an hour.
2 days a week I go for a fast 1 hour walk.
2 days a week I do some sort of other cardio activity like basketball, punching bag/jump rope/jumping jack workout, etc. for 30-45 mins.

Sometimes I'll cut a cardio workout for an extra day of rest (I always give myself at least 1 day with no workout) or an extra day of weightlifting when it's raining/ too hot outside or when I really don't feel like doing cardio.

·
Registered
475 Posts
you can definitely overtrain on cardio if you do more than you are used to and don't work your way up slowly. if you slowly work you way up to doing cardio 60-90 minutes everyday you should be fine as long as you take a day or two off a week to rest.
trust me i have overtrained myself many many times because i am not willing to take it slow and take rest days!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts